Linux doesn't go to sleep when closing screen. [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SmutsigKyl

Linux doesn't go to sleep when closing screen. [Solved]

Post by SmutsigKyl »

Hi!

I've been trying Linux for the first time since I'm tired of Apple waving its testicles in my general direction. I've installed the latest mint version on my Macbook Pro (wich is quite old. Like, before the "Air" came out.). I like the look and the feel, and I'm optimistic about this OS working for me! Slight problem though...

When i close the lid (the screen or whatever. Fold the computer in half, you know what i mean) it doesn't go to sleep. There wasn't any problem with this before the switch, I've looked in the settings and it should (as far as i understand) be going into either hybernation or sleep when the lid is closed.

Is this maybe a problem with the OS not recognizing the way a Macbook senses the closed lid? I suppose it might use magnates instead of a switch, and maybe that's the problem, but I've no idea, and googling (ducking? DuckDuckGoing?) only turns up with questions about disabling the the sleep instead of activating it.

Further info:
Cinnamon-version: 3.0.6
Linux Core (kernel? english is not my first language): 4.4.0-21-generic
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU
RAM: 3,7 GB
Harddrivememory: 240,5 GB

Thanks for any help!
Sorry for feces-covered Ängälska!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux doesn't go to sleep when closing screen.

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please read 10 things to do after Mint installation.
Hybernation is one of the topics

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
RyDale

Post by RyDale »

I had the same problem after putting Linux Mint 18 onto a MacBook Pro 5,5 mid 2009 vintage and I've just solved it.

I went to Menu - Power Management - When lid is closed - Suspend THEN Extra options - Perform lid-closed action even with external monitors attached - ON

The MacBook sleeps with the lid closed now. I hope this works for you.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

Hi RyDale

I have a macbook pro mid 2009 5.5. I did read this tutorial below. I am not ready yet to install linux on my mac as yet. I am interested on what you needed to configure after installation comparing the guide below. what works and what does not.

Thanks
Dave

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1643
SmutsigKyl

Post by SmutsigKyl »

So for some to me unknown reason i haven't been getting notifications, so didn't see this until now.

RyDale, you totally solved it for me. I've been furious for weeks and here you come just solving it on the spot. Thanks!

deeppakdeshp: Thanks, I'll be going through that list right now!

dave8671: Hey, just make a dual-boot and try it out, it's definitely preforming better for me than OSX. The rest will probably solve itself as time goes :D
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Please, if your problem is solved now, write [Solved] in the title. Thanks.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux doesn't go to sleep when closing screen. [Solved]

Post by dave8671 »

I am not ready to test macbook yet. Once I do I will update. I really did not have a problem I had a inquiry. I will have to test anyway this macbook pro is not going to be able to use the new macOS in the fall. though I will use a new post since this one is solved.

thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”