WiFi connects but no internet

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Code_Red_Gal
Level 1
Level 1

WiFi connects but no internet

Post by Code_Red_Gal »

I was having the same issue with my last instillation of Windows 7...Installed Mint b/c I was tired of Windows.

Having the SAME issue with a clean install of Mint...?! SO I was just hoping someone might be able to help a noob out.

I can connect to the wireless network but it either has no internet or has painfully slow internet that completely crashes. I completely disabled ipv6 and that made it so I can at least get internet, but it's horrendously slow. I don't know any of the terminal commands, or even where to start. I've been a linux user for all of about 5 minutes now. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Re: WiFi connects but no internet

Post by 0ddity »

If this was a problem with Windows previously, and now with Mint, it points more to an issue with your modem/router config, rather than an issue with your OS. If you're using a router, try plugging in directly with ethernet and see if there is still an issue. If there is, try bypassing your router and connecting straight to your modem with ethernet. If it is still slow on both, then it is probably an issue with your modem. If it speeds up after bypassing your router, then it could be an issue with that. You can also try rebooting both your modem and router, by unplugging the power for 30 seconds, then plugging them back in. Resetting your router to factory default settings might help as well if restarting doesn't, although it is not advised you do so for your modem. If none of those solutions solves your issues, you might consider contacting your ISP and see if they can help.

Code_Red_Gal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Code_Red_Gal »

Hi there,

I've reset the modem and router a couple times for other issues. None of the other devices in the house have this problem. I was going to setup the desktop as a NAS & VPN but if I am having issues with router or modem config I don't see how that will work. My networking skills are nill. I don't know what else to try to fix this. Could it be the wifi adapter? Is that something I could fix? I guess this isn't the appropriate forum to diagnose this problem, not sure where else to go though

0ddity
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 0ddity »

Try using your cell phone as a WiFi adapter by connecting your phone to your wifi and then plugging it into your computer via USB and turning on tethering in your phones settings. This will let you connect to your WiFi with your computer bypassing your PC's network device. If it works fine, it could be a hardware issue with your WiFi adapter, and if its PCI, need to be replaced, or switch to a USB adapter.

Return to “Newbie Questions”