Help installing true type fonts in LM18 (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Help installing true type fonts in LM18 (Solved, sort of)

Post by Cosmo. »

You have strangely opened the zip-file in GDebi, what cannot work.
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Why do you doubt this statement? My first attached pic above shows exactly what I am referring to.
Two reasons:
You're opening the zip file with gdebi-gtk, and it doesn't work from zip files.
You called the program gdebi-gtk "the debian"; "debian" is a linux distro. It's like calling it "the mint".

Code: Select all

$ man gdebi-gtk
NAME  gdebi-gtk - Simple tool to install deb files
SYNOPSIS  gdebi-gtk [package.deb]...
DESCRIPTION   gdebi  lets  you install local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. 
With LM17, the process would continue without the warning, and the font would be installed, and the next time I opened Libre Office Writer the new fonts would be ready to go. I'm doing nothing differnt.
That sure sounds like you were installing from .deb files.
EDIT: Posters below say this is a bug in the LM18 version.
Cosmo mentioned a bug in the "font viewer". You don't need that to install fonts. And I don't think it reads zip files.

Edit: a guy in the cosmo-problems-thread says: "I have installed Font Manager from the repo, and it works."

What happens when you double-click on a .zip file? If gdebi-gtk opens, you have your mime associations messed up; zip files should be associated with an archive manager, e.g. file-roller.

If you want to use the winchester font, why not unzip the ttf file and install it?

Edit:
Any news on when this bug will be fixed? LM17 worked great with .ttf files.
Well, there's one problem - you have a zip file, not a ttf file.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Flemur wrote:Well, there's one problem - you have a zip file, not a ttf file.
I am able to open the zip files, always have. EG, the problem I'm having is not in opening the zip files. Once I'm inside the zip file, I see the source file for the font, with the .ttf suffix. I right-click on this. Before, with LM17, an installer would open and place the font into the correct folder for later usage. It was automatic, and it was fast. I could unpack 100 fonts this way in no time. But now, with LM18, at this very same stage there is no longer an auto install feature, and instead of installation, I get the warning flag.

But there is also an extract option. I never used this before, never had to. So I've tried it now, and have extracted the font to my desktop. Once there, I right-click and select Open With>Font Viewer. Nothing happens. The font icon is staring at me from the desktop, but I can't find an application that will allow me to use it. I've opened the Libre Office to see if any of these new fonts are visible, but no.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You did not write, why you opened the zip-file with gdebi. This is for installing deb packages.

The font-viewer is buggy in LM 18, as already noted. You can use font-manager (as also already noted).
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Help installing true type fonts in LM18 (SOLVED)

Post by magicchance »

SOLVED. See post #1.

Return to “Newbie Questions”