Oriientation of VLC.SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Oriientation of VLC.SOLVED

Post by pensioner77 »

When I try to play a wideo useing VLC the picture is 90 degrees out of upright. There must be some simple way of turning it, but I cannot find it.Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by pensioner77 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Oriientation of VLC.

Post by Zill »

• Open VLC and start playing video
  • Menu "Tools" > "Effects and Filters" > "Video Effects" > "Geometry"
  • Select "Transform" box
  • Choose desired rotation from list
Hope this helps.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

go to .config/vlc and delete the folder ... try your video again

pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Oriientation of VLC .SOLVED

Post by pensioner77 »

Thank you Zill. How you are supposed to find that adjustment without help I do not know.With photo editing programmes it is so obvious.

Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zill »

pensioner77: I'm pleased you got this working. :-)

A web search will usually help find things like this... Would you now please mark the thread as solved to help any other users with a similar query. You need to edit your first post in this thread and add the prefix [Solved] to the title. Only the OP (Original Poster) can do this.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Oriientation of VLC .SOLVED

Post by InkKnife »

pensioner77 wrote:Thank you Zill. How you are supposed to find that adjustment without help I do not know.With photo editing programmes it is so obvious.
I love VLC and it is my go to video application on every platform, so solid, so reliable.
But...That being said the tools and controls in VLC are crazy obscure and difficult to figure out and could really use a major make-over by someone who knows how to make user friendly GUIs. If VLC was as easy to use as it is a great player it would rule the world.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

vlc in linux mint doesn't use vdpau ... it's useless

Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zill »

trytip: See "VLC GPU Decoding":
VDPAU is supported for decoding since VLC version 2.1.0, and for post-processing and rendering since VLC 2.2.0 (still in development as of late 2013).

VDPAU will be enabled automatically by default in VLC version 2.2.0 onward. Refer to http://www.remlab.net/op/vlc-vdpau.shtml for technical details.

The following video codecs are supported for decoding: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Visual (and possibly H.263), WMV3, VC-1 and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC). Almost all video codecs are supported for post-processing and rendering.

Return to “Newbie Questions”