LM18 goes to sleep too often

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

LM18 goes to sleep too often

Post by magicchance »

I like the new LM18 just fine, but it goes to sleep/disconnects even when I'm actively surfing the Web. And it usually stays off until I reset the wifi by unplugging/replugging the wifi cable. It's becoming tedious, almost painful. I never had this issue with 17.3. Is there any help for this?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: LM18 goes to sleep too often

Post by karlchen »

magicchance wrote:I reset the wifi by unplugging/replugging the wifi cable.
wifi is a wireless network connection. So what is a wifi cable, except a contradiction in itself? :?
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

karlchen wrote:
magicchance wrote:I reset the wifi by unplugging/replugging the wifi cable.
wifi is a wireless network connection. So what is a wifi cable, except a contradiction in itself? :?
I use a 5k wifi booster by Ralink. Unplugging/replugging the USB cable to it is the fastest way to reset my wifi, which also fixes this problem I am describing. But it happens 2 or 3 times an hour by now, even when I am actively using the computer. It's becoming a real pain in the ass.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Notice to LM devs: After updates yesterday, my wifi is now cutting off every 5 to 10 minutes! Three weeks ago my wifi was working perfectly. It would be great to have it back like that again!
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

magicchance wrote:Notice to LM devs: After updates yesterday, my wifi is now cutting off every 5 to 10 minutes! Three weeks ago my wifi was working perfectly. It would be great to have it back like that again!
Do you have a LM17.x DVD which you can use? If so boot from it, setup the wifi and do what you were doing with 18 just to see if it is cut off now as well. What I am trying to say is, is it caused by LM18 or is it your wifi device?
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

DeMus wrote: What I am trying to say is, is it caused by LM18 or is it your wifi device?
It's not from my end. Over the last 3 or 4 days, there have been several incoming updates, and they are playing hell with my Web access. If you look over the various thread titles in Newbie Questions, you can see other guys complaining about similar types of issues as well. I understand and accept that LM18 is beta. I'm OK with that. But like I said in another post, I was getting the best wifi service in my life when I first installed 18, literally 3 times better than I had with 17.3. But today, after 20 updates, I can no longer say that sorry to say.
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Here's a perfect example of what's been happening to me recently. This now occurs at least 5-10 times per hour as of the last 48 hours. It even happens when I am actively working on the Web. Notice that I am getting full bars in the lower right, and yet I am told that I am actually offline, etc. It can sometimes reset on it's own after a few seconds, but usually it must be reset by unplugging/replugging the wifi USB cable.
offline.jpg

Return to “Newbie Questions”