[SOLVED] Keep myself hidden on a wifi Network?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Keep myself hidden on a wifi Network?

Post by SpookyWatcher »

I am connected to my home wifi network. Along with a second different laptop (both running Mint KDE 17) and my android phone is connected and my printer is connected to home wifi as well.

When I open up Dolphin then click >Network then double click Network I can see both my laptops but not my android phone.
network.jpg
What is causing this visibility on a network? It's ok while I'm on my home wifi. Where I am concerned is when I am on the road and at a hotel connected to their wifi. I would really rather not have ANY readily visible footprint like this while on a foreign network.

I have my firewall enabled to deny incoming and allow outgoing, so I'm sure the laptops are still safe. However, what can I do to keep myself hidden (like my android phone-you can't see it connected even though it is).

Thx
Last edited by SpookyWatcher on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Keep myself hidden on a wifi Network?

Post by Reorx »

Modern routers frequently have a screen that will show you all devices attached to the LAN (wired and wireless). Have a look and see if your router "sees" your phone. I'll bet it does. And if it does, the phone is "findable" using a computer attached to the LAN if you have the right tools and know how to use them...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

I understand that. Thx much. But what I am looking for is to get rid of that visibility that is so easily and readily available. Is that Samba that is broadcasting that visibility?

Again...I'm looking for a way to limit my "footprint" while on a foreign network. Meaning I don't want any other joe blow on that wifi network to click on his network folder and see my laptop.

Does that make sense...or do I need to re-word what I am looking to do? I am looking to be able to click on that network location and NOT see my laptops. Yes I understand that in the router itself I can see everything. Heck with Kali I can see everything AND control their connections. I am talking about joe blow hotel guest decides that while he is on the hotel's wifi...he clicks on network locations and sees my laptop. I don't want that.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

SpookyWatcher wrote:Again...I'm looking for a way to limit my "footprint" while on a foreign network. Meaning I don't want any other joe blow on that wifi network to click on his network folder and see my laptop.

Does that make sense...or do I need to re-word what I am looking to do?
I understand your "intent" however, you don't need to worry about being hacked by Joe Blow - a random user with no real skills or tools. The guy who will attack people on a LAN (the guy you DO have to worry about) will have some skills and tools - you can't really hide from him (completely) but you can harden your perimeter to prevent him from getting in (i.e. minimize your exposure). If you are not an easy target, the attacker will simply move on to another computer on the network with a user that is not as savy as you.

If you are concerned that you could be identified as being at a location that you would rather not be known to frequent - like if your computer name on the network is your actual first and last names and you wouldn't want anyone on the LAN at the "No Tell Motel" to know you were there, then change you computer name to something that can't be associated with you...

Does that make sense or have I missed the mark?... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

I cannot test things here but if Samba appears to not be the answer, your Avahi daemon probably will be. I expect the KDE file-manager to be zeroconf enabled and Avahi to be what is announcing you to it -- such being its main purpose, sort of. Disabling Avahi might be an issue what with for example CUPs depending on it; not sure.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

Reorx wrote:
SpookyWatcher wrote:Again...I'm looking for a way to limit my "footprint" while on a foreign network. Meaning I don't want any other joe blow on that wifi network to click on his network folder and see my laptop.

Does that make sense...or do I need to re-word what I am looking to do?
I understand your "intent" however, you don't need to worry about being hacked by Joe Blow - a random user with no real skills or tools. The guy who will attack people on a LAN (the guy you DO have to worry about) will have some skills and tools - you can't really hide from him (completely) but you can harden your perimeter to prevent him from getting in (i.e. minimize your exposure). If you are not an easy target, the attacker will simple move on to another computer on the network with a user that is not as savy as you.

If you are concerned that you could be identified as being at a location that you would rather not be known to frequent - like if your computer name on the network is your actual first and last names and you wouldn't want anyone on the LAN at the "No Tell Motel" to know you were there, then change you computer name to something that can't be associated with you...

Does that make sense or have I missed the mark?... :mrgreen:

No offense, but yes you have missed the mark entirely again. To steer this back on track, I'll quote my OP:
"What is causing this visibility on a network?

Thx Rene,

I'll be looking into both Samba and Avahi to see if they are causing that visibility.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

It's always a bit of a risk using publically-accessible wifi - hopefully a carefully considered one as in your case - but still a chance there will be vermin on the system wanting to have a go. Whether individual devices connected to that network can see each other is down to how their systems are set up; if done properly each connection should be segregated, but I really don't know how effective this is.

There are many cases where it isn't.

For example when there's a blue moon and the pub wi-fi works, I can see their WinXP till machines! I've told them about it several times. Can sometimes see other computers on there too, although I haven't attempted to access them. Unfortunately some people who set these things up are clueless, I've said when I get my hands on a spare router I'll let them have it for the punters' use and set it up properly for them.

All I can suggest is turning your firewall on, turning shared directories and printers OFF and as already suggested, changing your computer name if desired (to something generic? maybe call it a Windows machine to try to confuse them) .. and, most importantly, don't use a wifi hotspot with a publicly visible key i.e. on display above the counter (or near a window!! Very commonplace) for ANYTHING sensitive such as online banking, PayPal, Amazon, eBay etc. etc..

I'm not sure that without configuration and / or additional software, Dolphin has the protocols for Android devices, I might try ConsoleOS (Android) later on the "netbrick" (something wrong with the HDC, need to fix it) and see if it can be seen on my KDE or Cinnamon machines .. IF I can work out how to use it ..!

ETA: Missed your last post. Basically you can't make yourself completely invisible on a network but I hope the above is of some use to yourself and others.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

rene wrote:I cannot test things here but if Samba appears to not be the answer, your Avahi daemon probably will be. I expect the KDE file-manager to be zeroconf enabled and Avahi to be what is announcing you to it -- such being its main purpose, sort of. Disabling Avahi might be an issue what with for example CUPs depending on it; not sure.
I uninstalled avahi and still have connection with my printer. If you uninstall the daemon, you leave the libs and all is good. Advertising stops, but connections to any networked printers is kept.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Arch_Enemy wrote:I uninstalled avahi and still have connection with my printer. If you uninstall the daemon, you leave the libs and all is good. Advertising stops, but connections to any networked printers is kept.
Thank you, very useful, and certainly if you were also testing with the KDE file manager.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

rene wrote:I cannot test things here but if Samba appears to not be the answer, your Avahi daemon probably will be. I expect the KDE file-manager to be zeroconf enabled and Avahi to be what is announcing you to it -- such being its main purpose, sort of. Disabling Avahi might be an issue what with for example CUPs depending on it; not sure.
Thx much Rene! That was exactly it. What I chose to do was to block avahi at the firewall...then if I need to print I just disable firewall temporarily. Much appreciated!
Arch_Enemy wrote:
I uninstalled avahi and still have connection with my printer. If you uninstall the daemon, you leave the libs and all is good. Advertising stops, but connections to any networked printers is kept.
You were spot on. Much appreciated. It was the Avahi-Daemon. What I chose to do was set up firewall rules to deny in/out avahi-daemon ports. There were a few. That definitely did the trick. Doing that did block my printing ability, but that is easy enough by momentarily turning off my firewall with GUFW. Then I just turn it back on.

Cheers

Return to “Newbie Questions”