I can't get a workable DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leefoo

I can't get a workable DVD

Post by leefoo »

I downloaded the ISO file and burnt it to disk. I find out later that I am to create an image? I thought it already was an image?

"You should burn the ISO image to disc; make sure to not just write the ISO file to the disc but to use the "burn disc image" or similar called option of your writer software. "

Using Free Easy DVD Burner, I created an image then, which I called Linus IMage (imaginative, ehh?)

I then burnt THAT image to a disk. It still didn't work.

Is there anyway to just buy a DVD and have it sent to my home? This is very frustrating.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I can't get a workable dvg

Post by Oscar799 »

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I can't get a workable dvg

Post by all41 »

Hi leefoo,

What always worked for me using Windows was a utility named Imgburn.
You can download it here:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php ... ry=imgburn
no installation needed--just run the file, click the first icon 'Write image file to disc' and point to your unaltered Mint .iso download
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
leefoo

Re: I can't get a workable DVD

Post by leefoo »

Thx...it appears that I burnt a usable disk. I followed your directions and it looks like everything worked (took about 10 minutes buffering, writing, etc).

I rebooted and Windows 10 still came up. Is there any way to "point" to Linux so I can switch to its operating system?

I have no idea if I want to use it, but I'd sure like to test drive it.

Thx
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You probably need to enter the bios and make sure that dvd is at the top of the boot order
list--and you should disable secure boot.

Getting into the bios setup menu varies from system to system, but often by pressing F2 or F10 (not always those) when you
see the manufacturer's splash screen as you power on or reboot your computer.
Often the correct key is indicated along the bottom of the boot splash screen.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "leefoo",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to have more information from you, like what computer operating system are you currently using, like MS Windows and which version, or Mac and which version of that. What kind of computer are you using, make and model, and any other system information you can provide. Which edition and version of Linux Mint do you want to download and try?

The Linux Mint downloads are in an ".iso" disc image file format which can easily be "burned" to a DVD disc using most good DVD applications, or to a USB flash drive stick (using "unetbootin", etc...). I am not familiar with the DVD application you mentioned, but "Ashampoo Burning Studio Free" (or their paid for version) for MS Windows is fantastic and easy to use, search for this on the Internet to download and install it.

Once you have created (burned) a bootable DVD of the Live, Test Drive, installation version of Linux Mint from their "LinuxMint.iso" disc image file, then you have to tell your computer when you turn it on (during "start up"="Boot"="Boot Up") to "boot up" to your DVD drive. Most computers have boot up (start up) options, like press and hold the F1 key for Bios, or press and hold the F12 key for other "bootup" options (like boot to hard drive (normal), or DVD/CD drive, or removable drives, or USB drives). Unfortunately, these boot key options are different depending upon your computer's make and model.

You can also change your computer's Bios options, to change the "boot device priority", to DVD/CD first, then hard drive second, etc... Then, when you start your computer (boot), it will look to see if your DVD/CD drive has a bootable disc in it and boot to that, and if not, then it will boot to your hard drive like normal.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@ leefoo
Did you get booted from your dvd?

Return to “Beginner Questions”