The Linux Command Line book

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vansloneker

Re: The Linux Command Line book

Post by vansloneker »

Reminds me of the DOS handbook I used long ago. Downloaded and put into my Linux library. I'm sure this will be of good help.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am
JoeFootball wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:49 am As of hours ago (2019-01-17), it's now been updated to its Fifth Edition.
This is one of the rare instances where reviving an ancient thread is a Good Thing. :D

Thanks for the update.
totally agree and very happy i came here just to look over some of the topic here. i've looked for something like this several times and never found a "book" like this before. personally, i can't using the command line but it has came in handy a few times when i needed help!

rene
Level 20
Level 20

The 100 Irrelevant Linux Things Nobody Gives a Hoot About post, the prologue.

Post by rene »

... already on page 3 he errors, though:
If you highlight some text by holding down the left mouse button and dragging the mouse over it (or double clicking on a word), it is copied into a buffer maintained by X. Pressing the middle mouse button will cause the text to be pasted at the cursor location.
The X "selection" mechanism works fundamentally different than as expressed in the (by me) bolded part; there is specifically normally no buffer involved in copy and paste. Only upon latter, paste, does the destination application request that the originator application hand over the selection (while converting it to a format as specified by the destination as part of the request). That is to say, conceptually it is a copy straight from originator to destination, without an intermediate "buffer" involved. Of course, the request goes via/through the X server, but conceptually it is other than that still not involved. An older mechanism does make use of by X maintained cut buffers but this is for all intents and purposes obsolete.

How's that for a prologue? I'm envisioning a book myself here...
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: The 100 Irrelevant Linux Things Nobody Gives a Hoot About post, the prologue.

Post by JoeFootball »

rene wrote:... already on page 3 he errors ...
Let him know! :)
William Shotts wrote:Your Feedback Is Needed!
This book is an ongoing project, like many open source software projects. If you find a technical error, drop me a line at:
bshotts@users.sourceforge.net
Be sure to indicate the exact edition of the book you are reading. Your changes and suggestions may get into future releases.
rene wrote:I'm envisioning a book myself here...
I genuinely look forward to that. :)

Joe
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The 100 Irrelevant Linux Things Nobody Gives a Hoot About post, the prologue.

Post by rene »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:26 pm Let him know! :)
Done... :?
Kinetics

Post by Kinetics »

The previous edition was a godsend for me. Thanks for the update. Got it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

fyi to all, the Fifth Edition just received a minor update this morning, where it now has a corrected table of contents. Details unknown, but a slightly larger file size, but still the same 555 page count.

Joe
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

Received notice this morning that my 2nd edition book is on the way!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1593279523

While I love the PDF, I also like to read in more comfortable positions and without a screen in front of my eyes. I know, heresy. :D

pat----
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for the update! Not sure where I first read about this book (maybe in this thread?) but will get the new version now & use Calibre to send to my e-reader (I'll do an ePub version as well, to see which has better formatting).
redlined wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:58 pm about other formats, by his blog post It appears the agreement with NoStarch press is for all forms published other than PDF and HTML. Not sure if this prohibits print on demand services like lulu.com but does seem to confirm that unless NoStarch releases other formats then we will not see them (note, they do provide a digital copy, "free ebook- pdf, mobi, ePub" with hard copy purchase).
ref: https://lcorg.blogspot.com/2012/01/anno ... om-no.html
My publishing agreement with No Starch Press grants them exclusive rights to produce the printed version and all electronic versions except PDF and HTML. Those formats will remain mine.
Some ebooks force a border, wasting valuable screen space & making the text too small to read, so it's probably better to get the .pdf & use that or convert it than to download in ePub format. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

Thanks for the more recent thread bump; I've downloaded this and will stick it on to my kindle tomorrow with the intention of getting some idea what I'm doing when using the terminal :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”