No WIFI, like others

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No WIFI, like others

Post by bcripps » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 am

Okay, Jeremy. Typed the commands directly into the Terminal.

Results Command 1
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ cd Desktop
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~/Desktop $

Results Command 2
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ sudo cp /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko.bak
[sudo] password for bcripps:
cp: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko': No such file or directory
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $

Results Command 3
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ sudo cp wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko
cp: cannot stat 'wl.ko': No such file or directory

I see other newbees are have the same trouble I am so if you can figure this out, you'll be a hero!!!!

Bry

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Post results for

Code: Select all

locate wl.ko

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 am

Good morning, Jeremy...

bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ locate wl.ko
/home/bcripps/Desktop/Untitled Folder/wl.ko
/home/bcripps/Desktop/Untitled Folder/wl.ko4.4-21.tar.gz
/lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/kernel/drivers/pwm/pwm-twl.ko
/lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/kernel/drivers/rtc/rtc-twl.ko
/lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/wl.ko
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.30.223.248+bdcom/4.4.0-21-generic/x86_64/module/wl.ko
/var/lib/dkms/bcmwl/6.30.223.248+bdcom/build/.wl.ko.cmd

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am

sudo cp /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/wl.ko.bak

sudo cp wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/
Reboot

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks Jeremy.

I'm not sure if I understand the finer details here but I typed the first command into the terminal and pressed "Enter." It asked for my password, which I entered. But when I typed it in, there is no indication that it was entered. No round dots indicating the letters. Is that normal?

I hit "Enter," then I typed in the second command, into the same terminal, and pressed "Enter" and then turned off the computer. I re-booted but still could not connect to the internet.

What am I doing wrong here?

Bry

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Tried again, using two terminals... got....

bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ sudo cp wl.ko /kip/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/
cp: cannot stat 'wl.ko': No such file or directory

No idea what's going on, but really getting tired of it!

But thank you...
Bry

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm

...I guess you are, too!

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Copy the wl.ko from Untitled Folder into your home directory and then see if the command works

sudo cp wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:43 pm

My apologies for butting in here, as I've no idea how to sort your particular problem, but I do notice that in a post a few above this you mention that you are using more than one terminal. And in a post a few more above that you show that you have performed the action cd Desktop - changed your current directory to Desktop, and your prompt shows that you are indeed in the Desktop folder.

The next command you enter, which is intended to operate on a file that has been put into your Desktop, fails as the file is not found, but the prompt shows that you are not in the Desktop
bcripps@bcripps-ThinkPad-11e ~ $ sudo cp /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko.bak
cp: cannot stat '/lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/dkms/wl.ko': No such file or directory

I think that you should be working in one terminal only, with the commands you are being given sequentially in that one terminal

And the password is never shown when you enter it in the terminal, nor is any indication given that you've pressed a key. It's a security thing.

Hope you get it all sorted without having to spend too much on beer.

Bob
Go Steady, but keep going

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05 pm

wilbobob wrote:My apologies for butting in here, as I've no idea how to sort your particular problem, but I do notice that in a post a few above this you mention that you are using more than one terminal. And in a post a few more above that you show that you have performed the action cd Desktop - changed your current directory to Desktop, and your prompt shows that you are indeed in the Desktop folder.

The next command you enter, which is intended to operate on a file that has been put into your Desktop, fails as the file is not found, but the prompt shows that you are not in the Desktop

I think that you should be working in one terminal only, with the commands you are being given sequentially in that one terminal

And the password is never shown when you enter it in the terminal, nor is any indication given that you've pressed a key. It's a security thing.

Hope you get it all sorted without having to spend too much on beer.

Bob
Some of the issues are because that the wl.ko was in a different directory than I expected. Most time I see it in /lib/modules/{kernel-version}/updates/dkms but this one is in /lib/modules/{kernel-version}/updates/

I though the wl.ko that I compiled would be on the Desktop but instead it is on the Desktop in an "Untitled Folder" directory which could cause some issues because of the space in the location, so I hope Bry copies it to the Desktop, just a drag and drop in the file manager as if it is on the desktop then the command is

sudo cp ~/Desktop/wl.ko /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/
and it should be done after a reboot

I am not a fan of Broadcom wifi cards in Linux as there are issues even when they do work as either the driver or firmware prevents them from using any channel higher than 11 on 2.4GHz

I have Intel and Qualcomm Atheros wifi in my laptops running Linux Mint and Ubuntu and they work fine unless I enable TKIP encryption on my router.

At this point I just hope that patch module works as it should and gets Bry on the internet because if it doesn't do the job I will recommend replacing the Broadcom with an Intel 7260

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:22 am

Cd desktops, multiple terminals, untitled folders...????

And what's an Intel 7260. Even if I knew, I doubt I would be able to buy one here in the tiny fishing village of Luperon where they don't even sell phones.

I'm at a complete lose here, guys and Bill Gates is beginning to look better and better. (Shudder!)

If someone could walk this newbie through this process, one small step at a time, I would appreciate it. And please don't gloss over anything. I remember wasting a baffling hour one time because some so called expert didn't bother to tell me to press “Enter” after a command.

I do appreciate your help. But my head's spinning and I really need to get this computer up and running. I depend on it for my work.

Much thanks,
Bry

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Is the result of

locate wl.ko
still the same as posting.php?mode=reply&f=90&t=226679#pr1204149 ?

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Tried to post the results for “locate wl.ko” but got this from the forum:

Your message contains 350509 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.

I tried typing in the second command, into a separate terminal, but when I hit “enter” the terminal closed with no results displayed. I tried three times.

Thanks,
Bry

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Lets see if we can copy the module to the correct folder

sudo cp '/home/bcripps/Desktop/Untitled Folder/wl.ko' /lib/modules/4.4.0-21-generic/updates/
Reboot

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 am

Hey Jeremy... Good News... for a change. I'm connected. Got my Mint/Google page and was able to check my email. Seems to be running a bit slow, but hopefully that is a local issue.

Thank you so much for this. Let me play with it for a bit and I'll get back to you.

Regards,
Bry

bcripps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bcripps » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 am

Hey Jeremy:
Been fooling with this for a couple of days and everything works fine. I've upgraded using the Update Manager and started downloading a couple of programs I need. There's a learning curve here, but that's ok.

Just want to thank you again for getting me up and running. I know you put time into this and I appreciate it. And I'm sure I tried your patience at times, but it was all to the good.

Thank you for getting me started with Mint. Looking forward to using the OS and finally being free of Bill Gates.

All best for the future...
Bry

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Finally! Please go to your first post in the thread and edit the subject to include [SOLVED}

I will probably have to upload the patched source code to my github at some time so it can help others that don't use the same kernel as you.

I knew from the start this might be harder to solve than other problems when you didn't have any internet access on this computer. Thanks for stating with it as others would have given up

AdamHI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AdamHI » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:58 pm

bcripps wrote: “It appears that the only solution so far is to enter the computer's BIOS and turn off Secure Boot.
Secure Boot is a security standard developed by the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC manufacturer”

But can't figure how to enter BIOS. F2 doesn't do it. Computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad 11e with no disc drive.
Bry
Hi Bry,

You may already have your answer to your main problem, but I'm not sure if you ever got the answer to this. I just received my 11e Gen3 today, and i had to use my phones video to capture the answer that flashed for milliseconds during boot up. I will be installing LM 18 Cinnamon from USB drive.

The get a menu that will allow you to go int the BIOS, press ENTER during the boot. BTW - F12 will let you choose your boot device (if allowed by your BIOS settings).

--adam

Return to “Newbie Questions”