Check Download Image Doesn't Make Sence

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
happydog500
Level 2
Level 2

Check Download Image Doesn't Make Sence

Post by happydog500 »

I've downloaded and checked 5 different distros with no problems. I don't get it, but I did it. It was easy if you just follow the directions.

I follow the instructions on the Mint page and it doesn't make sense. It says to DL the image, and the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files into the same directory.

Well, sorry, but you can't. Each version is a link, except the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files. You can't DL them into the same directory because the link isn't a "link," it's a page.

They have a tutorial on this site. Instead of showing a different way, it links to this site, which tells you to DL the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files into the same directory. You can't download it to the directory.

What are you supposed to do? I don't understand how your supposed to download something that you can't download?

Thank you,
Chris.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Check Download Image Doesn't Make Sence

Post by JoeFootball »

happydog500 wrote:Each version is a link, except the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files. You can't DL them into the same directory because the link isn't a "link," it's a page.
Sounds like you're opening the files right in your browser rather than saving them. Instead, right-click on each of the links to the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files, and select the "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." or whatever menu option your particular browser offers to save the files.

Joe
SpookyWatcher
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SpookyWatcher »

happydog500 wrote:I've downloaded and checked 5 different distros with no problems. I don't get it, but I did it. It was easy if you just follow the directions.

I follow the instructions on the Mint page and it doesn't make sense. It says to DL the image, and the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files into the same directory.

Well, sorry, but you can't. Each version is a link, except the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files. You can't DL them into the same directory because the link isn't a "link," it's a page.

They have a tutorial on this site. Instead of showing a different way, it links to this site, which tells you to DL the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg files into the same directory. You can't download it to the directory.

What are you supposed to do? I don't understand how your supposed to download something that you can't download?

Thank you,
Chris.
Right click the url that starts the download of the .iso you are wanting. Click "Copy Link Address". Then open new browser tab. Then paste the url into the address bar. Then *DELETE* the .iso part of the url. For example after pasting the copied link into the url it will look like this:

Code: Select all

http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint//stable/18/linuxmint-18-mate-64bit.iso
delete the .iso part upto the next / now it should look like this:

Code: Select all

http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint//stable/18/
Now hit enter to navigate to that url. There you will see the sha256sum.txt and the sha256sum.txt.gpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers
happydog500
Level 2
Level 2

Post by happydog500 »

I downloaded it from a torrent. Doesn't work to paste url. I looked up to see if I could find other directions. One page when describing the process says, "This is where things get a bit tricky."
Glad I found that. I thought it was all me. Looks like even Linux geeks use the term "tricky" in describing checking a Downloaded image.

I can't imagine why the community would make a basic thing like checking a disc such a "tricky" thing.

Chris.
happydog500
Level 2
Level 2

Post by happydog500 »

after searching for an hour on the internet, looks like quite a few people are having difficulty checking there discs. Again, not sure why anyone would make such an important thing purposely almost impossible to do.

You'd think such an important thing, there would be a graphical program to check a disc, if there is no accurate instructions in an hour of searching.

Guess I could always buy one and wait a week or so to install. Hate to do that and have it not work with my hardware.

Chris.
Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko »

I found this post by rene very helpful, I had to read through it a couple of times and kept it open as a guide while I did the checking. In the end it was less confusing than it looks and for something as important as verifying an OS it was worth the trouble (imo).

viewtopic.php?p=1180346#p1180346

Hope it helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”