[SOLVED] Encrypt & Decrypt files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
c3p0
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Encrypt & Decrypt files

Post by c3p0 »

I need a program that could Encrypt / Decrypt files ( and may be a folder which contains some files ).
Under Linux Mint 18 beta Xfce.
Last edited by c3p0 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Encrypt & Decrypt files

Post by SpookyWatcher »

Would Kleopatra work on xfce? That is default installed on KDE and what I use. Works well. I use to encrypt / decrypt files and folders.

I hope it helped.

Cheers

Spooky

Acewiza
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Acewiza »

AESCrypt. Integrates well with Thunar, using a custom action.

JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

c3p0 wrote:I need a program that could Encrypt / Decrypt files ( and may be a folder which contains some files ).
If storing files/directories within an encrypted archive would suffice, then I know the 7-Zip format can leverage AES-256 encryption, and p7zip is the Linux command line variant.

Joe

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Using encfs is pretty much seamless and simple.
ImageImage

Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Encrypt & Decrypt files

Post by Plons »

I installed Cryptkeeper 0.9.5 on Mint 17.3 Mate using Software Manager. I cannot create an encrypted folder.
Tips ?

Thanks in advance,
Nard

Edit: hold on .... I selected "nard" as folder for the new encrypted folder but it appears to link to /media/nard instead of /home/nard. Further testing now .....
Edit2: yes, that did the trick. Great application ! :)
Edit3: hmmm .... after a reboot Cryptkeeper no longer knows the encrypted folder. Phew, I am glad I was just testing it.

Anyone with a suggestion for a crypt-decrypt application that can be used in Mint 17.3 Mate ?
(I used TrueCrypt under Windows7)
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Use gnome-encfs-manager. You need this PPA: ppa:gencfsm/ppa

Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

Thanks, Cosmo.

Since this is the first time I will be using a ppa (I am just a beginner), is this the command I have to enter in a terminal window ?

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gencfsm/ppa
Nard
Leef met vlag en wimpel maar hou het simpel (translation: Live with flying colours but KISS)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Correct.
Alternative: Open software sources -> ppa -> add the ppa. Then do a refresh (button at the top right). Afterwards you can install software provided from this ppa directly from software sources.

Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

I followed your alternative and got it working ! Even my encrypted test folder is found.

A bit of a hick-up after installation and a restart of Mint: no keyboard (Toshiba Satelite laptop). Used an external kbd to get out of that situation. It is very well possible that it has nothing to do with gencfsm. But I thought it's better mentioning it.

Thanks !
Nard

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I see no relationship. I use this programs since some years, so I can claim some experience with it.

Doe the laptop keyboard already cease to function in the rub menu or in the login window?

Plons
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plons »

The keyboard works in the BIOS and in Grub2 menu. When I select Mint Mate 17.3 and the OS has become operational, the (built-in) keyboard is no longer functional. I have seen more posts that describe non-functioning of the (built-in) keyboard.
But like I said: I don't expect a correlation with the new encryption program. Just wanted to mention what I saw.

I have more systems to test on, among which one more laptop. I will install gencfsm on those as well and will post the results.

Nard

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You might launch the live system on this laptop to find out, how the keyboard behaves there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”