Mint 18 on both laptop and desktop. How to read/write from one comp to another wirelessly and wired.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
triciasurf
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 18 on both laptop and desktop. How to read/write from one comp to another wirelessly and wired.

Post by triciasurf » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 pm

I have a desktop computer running Mint 18 Cinnamon and a laptop running Mint 18 MATE. Both have wifi and an ethernet jack. I have an ethernet cable. I also have an old wifi router (D-Link Wireless Router Model DI-524).

How can I transfer files from one computer to another?

Here's what I’ve already tried:
I connected the two computers with an ethernet cable. The networking icon in the panel then turns into a spinner, indicating that it’s trying to connect. But after a while it says something like “Connection failed.” So I then went to Network Settings on both computers and changed setting to “Local Link Only”. The networking icon turned into a spinner, and then says it made a connection. On both computers, I opened the file browser (Caja, Nemo). I see “Network” in the sidepane, but it says “Windows Network”. I click “Windows Network” but it didn’t work.

What’s wrong? What’s the easiest way to share files via ethernet cable?

-----
Now, how about wirelessly? How can I share files via wifi?

Also, is it somehow possible to share /home/ on each computer so that whenever I am on, say, the desktop, I can readily see the /home/ of the laptop without my having to first do stuff (e.g., grant read/write access) on the laptop? In other words, I don’t want to be forced to do some initial typing on both computers. I’d like to be able to just head to one computer and access the files of the other computer immediately.

golf4fun
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 18 on both laptop and desktop. How to read/write from one comp to another wirelessly and wired.

Post by golf4fun » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:57 pm

I find it easier to use a remote desktop program like Teamviewer or Anydesk
Mint KDE 64 bit.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 18 on both laptop and desktop. How to read/write from one comp to another wirelessly and wired.

Post by all41 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:19 am

You are describing an all lnux network?

triciasurf
Level 2
Level 2

Yes, all are linux mint.

Post by triciasurf » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 pm

all41 wrote:You are describing an all lnux network?
Yes, all are Linux Mint.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:48 am

Do you add caja-share from the repositories? This will allow sharing options in the context when right clicking a file
Here are a couple posts that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=199036&hilit=samba
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=226519&hilit=samba
For an all Mint network I added the samba service file to the etc/avahi/services directory as described by altair4.
It's been smooth sailing ever since.

triciasurf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by triciasurf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:48 pm

all41 wrote:Do you add caja-share from the repositories? This will allow sharing options in the context when right clicking a file
Here are a couple posts that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=199036&hilit=samba
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=226519&hilit=samba
For an all Mint network I added the samba service file to the etc/avahi/services directory as described by altair4.
It's been smooth sailing ever since.
Is this for wired sharing? Or also for wireless?

triciasurf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by triciasurf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:56 pm

golf4fun wrote:I find it easier to use a remote desktop program like Teamviewer or Anydesk
Remote desktop programs require internet access. But our all-Mint network is offline. Thus we need a no-net solution.
UPDATE: just to clarify,i could get internet access to download the files required to set up some solution. But after that, any solution proposed can't require internet access.

Appreciate your comment, though. I'd be very happy to find an answer that is as easy to use as a remote desktop program.
Last edited by triciasurf on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Is this for wired sharing? Or also for wireless
For both--the implication would be a wifi router or even just a lan switch
with a wifi dongle. My network shares quite happily without the DSL internet connection

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:20 pm

I would first connect both computers to the router using ethernet cables
just to make sure you don't run into wifi connectivity issues to begin with.
Mint should recognize the connections on both systems.
Install the caja-share add-on and just right-click a folder in
your home directory and scroll down to Sharing Options,
check the Share this folder box and also allow guest access (bottom box).
share.png
It may take a minute or so but you should be able to open Network on the other computer (Start Menu under Places). You should see the other computer, and in that directory should be the folders you chose to share.
This is what that folder looks like for my Network:
network2.jpg
There are several terabytes in there.
You will have a symbol for each computer including the one you are currently on.
Once you have this down then unplug the ethernet cables and connect with wifi

triciasurf
Level 2
Level 2

caja-share

Post by triciasurf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:49 pm

all41 wrote: Install the caja-share add-on
Okay, just installed caja-share on my MATE laptop. What about on my Cinnamon desktop? Do I need to install something equivalent to caja-share? A "nemo-share" perhaps?

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:02 am

I forgot Mint 18 does not include samba in the .iso
For Mint 18 Mate:
install caja-share:

Code: Select all

apt install caja-share
install samba and gedit:

apt install samba gedit
Do steps 3 and 4 from this link:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p960482
then open a terminal and run one at a time:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart

sudo service avahi-daemon restart

Cinnamon will be the same except no caja-share--
Hang in there--you will love your network sharing

DrM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DrM » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:31 pm

How do you setup files and folder sharing in Linux Mint 18 Xfce? Is that different from Linux Mint 17.x Xfce?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Other than the fact that Mint no longer installs samba by default it's the same as it was in Mint17.

To install Samba: Installing Samba in Mint 18
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:22 pm

triciasurf,
I acknowledge the expertise of altair4 here--no doubt.
In my instance though, only .samba was needed to accomplish the goal.
Recognition here: it was altair4's guidance/turorial which led me to implementing this avahi
based sharing to begin with--and it has been totally reliable and trustworthy. It's provides the essentials for sharing music/video/dvd/files etc in a Linux only network.

exsencon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exsencon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 am

Well,how useful a forum like this can be!
A brief explanation of my systems: 3 PC's, Desktop and 2 laptops. All running LM 17.1. Desktop is running Win7 (besides several linuxes) Old laptop is running Win7 also and new laptop running Win10.
Now I had problems with my home network. When the 3 PC's are running Windows,no problem at all.
When I have a linux mint on one of them he just couldn't get the shares on the other PC's whether they were running under win or linux.
So I decided to go for Altair's native linux way and that helped a lot. The 3 Linux PC's could communicate freely with one another. I still had a problem though with a Win PC (regardless which one) recognizing a linux PC.
So I finally doubled it with the Windows samba classic way and that was enough. Now every PC recognizes the two other whether they are under linux or windows. Great stuff I should have done years ago!
Thanks all of you guys and special thanks to altair4!

golf4fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by golf4fun » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Nitroshare is simple to use for sharing files between pc's without internet access.
You will need internet access however to do the initial installation.
Not everyone likes ppa files but if you don't mind here is the list of commands

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:george-edison55/nitroshare
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nitroshare

You can also download a tar file and place in on the other PC's to use to install Nitroshare https://nitroshare.net/
Mint KDE 64 bit.

Return to “Newbie Questions”