Cursed Cursor (keypad mouse)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
roger
Level 1
Level 1

Cursed Cursor (keypad mouse)

Post by roger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:44 am

The touchpad is shot on my laptop, delighted that my new mint 18 cinnamon install has native keypad mouse, my problem is that the cursor disappears when mouse removed, when i say disappears better description would be becomes invisible, (it exists in that you can click and move it but no visual white arrow to know where it is. Any ideas?

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cursed Cursor (keypad mouse)

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:40 am

Disable touchpad altogether, as I did on my Thinkpad with a shot touchpad (same problem as yours). Use only mouse, not the little keyboard joystick. You can easily disable touchpad via the GUI at Preferences | Mouse and Touchpad.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

roger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks fpr the reply Amethyst, I have disabled touchpad as instructed no joy, I want to use the numpad mouse emulation configured in accessibility, it works, but when i remove mouse from usb cursor becomes invisible.I have turned the mouse setting "press ctrl to show cursor" which may help in an no mouse emergency but way to clunky for everyday use.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:01 pm

roger wrote:Thanks fpr the reply Amethyst, I have disabled touchpad as instructed no joy, I want to use the numpad mouse emulation configured in accessibility, it works, but when i remove mouse from usb cursor becomes invisible.I have turned the mouse setting "press ctrl to show cursor" which may help in an no mouse emergency but way to clunky for everyday use.
I have never used numpad mouse emulation and was not aware that was possible. Personally I think you would get better mileage from the Thinkpad joystick located in the middle of the keyboard.

You seem to want to keep a toe in both worlds, one where you use the numpad as a mouse, and also one where you use the mouse, during the same session. If you plan to remove the mouse anyway and use the numpad most of the time, then keep it disconnected prior to boot. E.G. you move to a location where a mouse is awkward. So, disconnect the mouse, then reboot into a mouseless system.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

roger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:24 pm

No thinkpad fella, series 15 HP pavillion, no "joystick", yes sometimes the mouse is a hassle and i would rather work with the keypad but cursor not present, the cursor is present with mouse plugged in and keypad can move the cursor built when mouse inserted, pull the mouse out lose the cusor.

Return to “Newbie Questions”