Broadcom Driver Installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curlydog

Broadcom Driver Installation

Post by curlydog »

Folks I'm brand new to Linux and having trouble with ethernet and wifi drivers after installing mint xfce on a Dell inspiron laptop.

I have no networking at the moment as no wired or wireless adapters are recognised. I have identified the Broadcom drivers I need and downloaded them as a tar.gz file.

So far I have extracted the files/folders. There are two folders called "src" and "lib" which contain more folders and files. There is also a file called "Makefile" which when viewed looks like some kind of a script.

All of the help I can find refers to running an install file or compiling the binaries. I have no install file and when I try the ./configure command I regularly see, I get an error that there is no such file or directory.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Broadcom Driver Installation

Post by JeremyB »

Post the result from terminal for

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
curlydog

Post by curlydog »

barbara@barbara-Inspiron-1520 ~/Desktop $ lspci -nnk | grep -ia2 net
Subsystem: Dell 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller [1028:01f1]
Kernel modules: i2c_i801
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [1028:01f1]
Kernel modules: b44
--
Kernel driver in use: r852
Kernel modules: r852
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
Kernel driver in use: wl
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might be able to get wired going again with

sudo modprobe b44
Somehow you installed the broadcom proprietary wl module that can be installed at least 3 different ways and the installation of this module blacklisted the modules your wired needs

Please post results for

dpkg -l | grep -i broadcom; dkms status
curlydog

Post by curlydog »

JeremyB wrote:You might be able to get wired going again with

sudo modprobe b44
Somehow you installed the broadcom proprietary wl module that can be installed at least 3 different ways and the installation of this module blacklisted the modules your wired needs

Please post results for

The

sudo modprobe b44
doesn't seem to do anything. I get prompted for the user password and then the cursor just moves to the next line and sits there. Nothing happens.

Here's the result of

barbara@barbara-Inspiron-1520 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep -i broadcom; dkms status
ii  bcmwl-kernel-source                          6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu8                amd64        Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
bcmwl, 6.30.223.248+bdcom, 4.4.0-21-generic, x86_64: installed
ndiswrapper, 1.59, 4.4.0-21-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox-guest, 5.0.18, 4.4.0-21-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Ok, from the dkms status results it shows bcmwl installed, so lets remove it

sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
Reboot and hopefully the ethernet will work, if it doesn't it is likely blacklisted in another file, to find it use

grep [[:alnum:]] /etc/modprobe.d/* | grep b44
If ethernet does work install the firmware for wifi with

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Reboot and wifi should function
curlydog

Post by curlydog »

Jeremy B you're a genius.

Wired and wireless both up and running. Once bcmwl removed wired worked and allowed me to run the apt-get to install the wireless drivers.

Thanks for your help.
corcaigher

Post by corcaigher »

This worked for me, as well. Thank you.
brokera

Post by brokera »

Did everything as indicated in this post. But Wi-Fi never appeared.please help me with Wi-Fi settings.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Please start a new thread and include the results from the wireless script link in my signature

Return to “Beginner Questions”