starting from win7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

starting from win7

Post by elmarts »

Mint newbie here -
win7disks1.jpg
As you can see my disk 0 has a clear space of 123 GB in the middle where I shrunk the win7 boot partition to make room for the mint installation, as seen from win7's computer management console. There is also 117 GB space on "disk 1" but I want that to remain unused if possible (panning to stick win10 there in the future). My question is how do I go about sticking all of Mint (root, user, etc, etc. and swap) into this space and ending up with a dual boot system of Mint and win 7? I have the ISO burned to DVD, and it runs live OK (although the dual screens I have seem only to echo each other rather than combine into one big screen). The installation prompts are "scary" (yes, you may laugh). I don't really understand what the options are actually doing as they don't show "before" and "after" disk layout images giving where everything is located. I've read the documentation that comes with the download, and it doesn't seem to clearly address this (I think). Guidance? - Elmar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: starting from win7

Post by xenopeek »

If you don't want to take any risks, disconnect the 2nd and 3rd disks so you can't accidentally install on those. In any case, the installer should show you the option "install alongside Windows" (or worded something like that) and would by default use the unallocated disk space and create its own partitions in that. It will automatically set up dual boot. The slider to allocate disk space shows existing partitions on the left and how much space would be given to Linux Mint on the right. If you move the slider to the left (to give Linux Mint more disk space) it would resize the existing partitions — you neither want nor need that.

As always, before you do anything scary with your computer ensure you have a recent backup of your important personal files. Hard disks do fail suddenly and data may not be recoverable, so you need that anyway.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

These guides helped me when i decided to dual-boot my system (keeping windows 'just in case'):

https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install

That second site is also just a great one-stop shop for lots of great Linux advice. I think my main advice for any new Mint (linux) user is to just take your time, no read to rush, read up in detail on what you are trying to do and if in doubt ask for advice, as you did here :) Good luck and i hope those links give you something handy in relation to your question.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

Well, unhooking the other drives resulted in windows having a cow, and requiring some "repair" until it would consent to simply boot from the main drive alone :) That done, I installed mint OK, and all went well, including making a username of ets and a password of dad, until I tried to log into mint from grub. It shows my username, but refuses my password (any and all cases), and I see no options to fix this. How can I browbeat this installation into actually allowing me to log on? At the moment, I am in windows (obviously), several hours used, and only a bit closer to running mint ...
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's a tough one, if you already got yourself locked out. During installation of Linux Mint you were asked to create one user. The password you gave at that time was set as that user's password but it was at that time also set as the password for the root user. The passwords are otherwise not linked; so changing the one password won't change the other.

From the GRUB boot menu you can select recovery mode. In recovery mode you can select to drop to a root console. Here you will need root's password. But if you already got yourself locked out of your own account because the password is different from what you remember, I'd guess it's the same for root's password. But give it a try. If you do manage to get in there are two commands to use.

First, recovery mode by default mounts your disk as read-only but to change a user's password you need to be able to write. So remount for writing and type this command:
mount -o remount,rw /

After that is done you can set the password of a user with the command:
passwd [i]username[/i]

Mind that if you have selected to encrypt your home directory this won't be possible. Instead if you do manage to get to the root console with above steps as an alternative you can create a new user account with the command:
adduser [i]newusername[/i]
Then make this user a member of the same groups as the user created during installation of Linux Mint (so they are a full administrator):
usermod -aG adm,cdrom,dip,lpadmin,plugdev,sambashare,sudo [i]newusername[/i]
Then ensure changes have been saved to disk and reboot:
sync
reboot
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

So, if this fails, the only choice is to take the DVD and redo the installation, I take it? *sigh* - OK, thanks.
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Re: starting from win7

Post by elmarts »

Found the problem with the password - CAPS LOCK <snort> AOK now, a functioning installation, with internet connection. Will start a new thread if I can't find out why it won't see my dual monitors, or how to change the default OS in grub. thanks all.
- Elmar
MATE 1.26.0
MajorMuff

Re: [SOLVED] Re: starting from win7

Post by MajorMuff »

elmarts wrote:Found the problem with the password - CAPS LOCK <snort> AOK now, a functioning installation, with internet connection. Will start a new thread if I can't find out why it won't see my dual monitors, or how to change the default OS in grub. thanks all.
Changing boot order in Grub:

[ http://askubuntu.com/questions/166730/c ... ty-in-grub ]

Check out the answer by LiveWireBT
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have always changed boot order with Grub Customizer:

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... customizer

You can do it by editing config files, too, but for me it's just easier to use Grub Customizer.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
hawkeye315

Post by hawkeye315 »

I second Grub Customizer. It has a nice GUI to do everything in for new users. While the different text/highlight colors don't work, you can insert your own background image to make the boot loader look all pretty.

Return to “Beginner Questions”