Mouse pointer disappears when chang user.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hacker_
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse pointer disappears when chang user.

Postby hacker_ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi,
If I press ctrl + alt + L I'll log out and then press switch user and log in again, my mouse pointer disappears. It still works, I can choose some items and click on them, but I just don't see pointer. So I need to run in terminal "sudo modprobe -r psmouse", then pointer appears.
If I just logged out and then logged in nothing happens, pointer is still there, it happens only when press button 'switch user'.
I have mint 18. How can I fix it?

dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mouse pointer disappears when chang user.

Postby dl9220 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 pm

hacker_ wrote:Hi,
If I press ctrl + alt + L I'll log out and then press switch user and log in again, my mouse pointer disappears. It still works, I can choose some items and click on them, but I just don't see pointer. So I need to run in terminal "sudo modprobe -r psmouse", then pointer appears.
If I just logged out and then logged in nothing happens, pointer is still there, it happens only when press button 'switch user'.
I have mint 18. How can I fix it?

Do both accounts use same theme as pointer ?
Mint Sarah Xfce (Linux 4.8.4 Low Latency) on MSI A88Xi-AC + AMD A10-7850@4.2 gHz + AMD R9-270X + Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1866 + Adata SX900-64
Lenovo Z50-75 - Mint Sarah Xfce (4.8.4 Low Latency) AMD FX7500 - Corsair ForceLS 120 Gb - Corsair 16 Gb 1866DDR3 lv

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:21 pm

ctrl-alt-L does not log you out, but it locks the screen - from there you can log into another account. That means, that in this case 2 accounts are logged in concurrently.

Logging out gets done with ctrl-alt-del (or via menu). Only then only the second account will be logged in (after you do this). Same result?

Roland
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Roland » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:32 am

Mute Ant
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Mute Ant » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Logging out gets done with ctrl-alt-del (or via menu).
That's Ctrl+Alt+Backspace I guess?

I have been losing the mouse pointer since I started using Sarah, switching between TTY consoles and the GUI. I had a bad habit of using Ctrl+Alt+F4 to get to TTY4, then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back. It's supposed to be just Alt+F7 and the extra Ctrl key pressed was, somehow, switching off the pointer.
Do you ever have deja vu Mrs. Lancaster?
I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Mute Ant wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:Logging out gets done with ctrl-alt-del (or via menu).
That's Ctrl+Alt+Backspace I guess?

No, this restarts Xorg. At least in the Cinnamon edition you can find the description for this in the autostart settings and the setting for logging out in the keyboard shortcut settings (section System).

Although restarting Xorg leads in the result to the same (user is logged off necessarily), there is an important difference.
If you log off (ctrl-alt-del) and there are any opened and unsaved files, the user gets the chance to save them at first (or cancel logging off), in case of restarting Xorg all unsaved files are lost, there does not come an option to save at first. An open browser will likely tell you afterwards, that it has crashed in the last session (as it got no chance to quit properly).

Songster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Songster » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:04 am

I have been using the login/session screen via the menu to change user ( rather than control alt esc etc) If I use this screen to switch user and go to my spouses account that works, but if I use the Login screen to 'switch user' back to me the cursor is invisible (although by noting the change in icons I can see it is still there). However if we use 'Log out' rather than 'switch user' there doesn't seem to be a problem.

agerskov
Level 1
Level 1

Postby agerskov » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:40 am

You can change to text console and back again so your mouse pointer reappear:

• Key combination Alt+Ctrl+F1 to get to text console 1 (tty1)
  • Key combination Alt+Ctrl+F8 to get to back graphic screen with mouse pointer
This works for me in Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.

I don't know if it is possible to do it with out changing screens.
The most enjoyable greetings
Claus Agerskov
| Facebook || A’GamerZ |

Return to “Newbie Questions”