Bios Update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fred19

Bios Update

Post by fred19 »

Mint 17.3 xfce 32bit

I want to update the bios but the Acer download includes a Window .exe to install it.

Any way I can do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Bios Update

Post by Mute Ant »

Not with a Linux kernel in charge, no. You can't emulate Windows and write to the hardware without Linux blocking your passage :shock: At best you would update the BIOS of the emulator, if it has one.
o If Acer provide a booting ISO, that's okay.
o If it's a DOS exe you can use the dosemu package and syslinux to start the machine under FreeDOS. If dosemu can run the .exe file using Mint, you make a booting USB so you can run it without Linux loaded.
o You can (temporarily) install a Windows just to run the BIOS update. If your machine has a Microsoft License sticker, that's easy. You just need the OEM version of the Windows you are already licensed to use.

EDIT [-dosbox] [+dosemu] It's dosemu that can be booted independently of Linux, not dosbox, sorry.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Bios Update

Post by dl9220 »

fred19 wrote:Mint 17.3 xfce 32bit

I want to update the bios but the Acer download includes a Window .exe to install it.

Any way I can do it?
What Acer you talking about ? Recent machines offer updating from BIOS/uEFI or straight from USB-keys....

Cheers
Mint Vera Xfce XanMod 6.1.2

Return to “Beginner Questions”