Installing software that's not in the Mint system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snowshed1

Installing software that's not in the Mint system

Post by snowshed1 »

Mint 17.3 Cinammon

I've read over the years in non-Linux locations of the potential dangers of installing programs that are not part of a distros system.

Some questions:
  • Is this an issue today?
    If I want to do this, what should I look for to try to avoid any issues?
At the moment, I'm looking at Libre Office. 5.0.6 is what came with 17.3, but on the LO site 5.1.x is listed as the stable release. But, it's listed as being for Debian, but when I've asked similar questions in this forum about what to look for, the answer has been Ubuntu.

Will I be OK updating LO? Best process for accomplishing it?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing software that's not in the Mint system

Post by jimallyn »

I have 5.2.0.4 installed. Get it here:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "snowshed1",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are a few ways to install software that are not already in the Mint repositories, the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but the user must be cautious to use reliable sources. So ask first, if you are unsure of a software's installation source that is outside of the normal Mint sources.

Usually the good people in this forum will give you reliable advise.

Easy Linux tips project (Great Website for all things Linux)
How to install software in Ubuntu and Linux Mint
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... plications

There are numerous posts available in this forum on upgrading or updating your LibreOffice software, if you search for them.

Below is how I just easily upgraded my system to use LibreOffice 5.2
(this should keep your LibreOffice software up to date as well)

LibreOffice 5.2 PPA is Ready for Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18), Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x), August 9, 2016
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-14-04/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

In general it is best to get stuff via the Mint software manager.

However sometimes something might not be available there and then your pretty much in wild west territory. Do you like fixing stuff that get's broken by your own actions? Do you have time to trouble shoot? Just a couple of things to ask yourself before proceeding.

I use slimjet as one of my browsers, and it seems that for that particular software in Mint it is better to use the Ubuntu & Debian based version than the one listed as being for Mint. I don't know why this is, but i came across that advice in the slimjet forums and so far it works just fine. So that is an example of the odd ball world that can await you outside of the official software manager, a seemingly safe benign example as nothing broke doing it (touch wood).

In relation to your Libre Office installation, is there some fix or advantage to doing that update, other than just knowing you have a later version?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding LO: You can install the new version from the LO download site.

At first deinstall the preinstalled LO.

If you go to the LO download site, you get at first offered a RPM-package. There is a link for "change", click it and select the deb package (64 bit or 32 bit, depending from the architecture of your system). After that you can click to download.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ZakGordon wrote:In relation to your Libre Office installation, is there some fix or advantage to doing that update, other than just knowing you have a later version?
That's an important question....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

jimallyn wrote:I have 5.2.0.4 installed. Get it here:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
For a variety of reasons, I'll install the "Still" version.
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

phd21 wrote:Hi "snowshed1",

There are a few ways to install software that are not already in the Mint repositories, the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but the user must be cautious to use reliable sources. So ask first, if you are unsure of a software's installation source that is outside of the normal Mint sources.
It's been my practice for years to always try to download from the vendor/mfgr/developer's site, but occasionally the downloads are not on their site. So I try to stay away from places that are known to try to sneak things in on you.
phd21 wrote:
Easy Linux tips project (Great Website for all things Linux)
How to install software in Ubuntu and Linux Mint
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... plications
I had forgotten about this site, thanks for reminding me of it. I used it to learn about printer installation.
phd21 wrote:
LibreOffice 5.2 PPA is Ready for Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18), Ubuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x), August 9, 2016
What does PPA stand for?
phd21 wrote:
Hope this helps ...
It does, thank you.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

snowshed1 wrote:For a variety of reasons, I'll install the "Still" version.
That looks like a reasonable choice. Still: by installing by means of a .deb installer, you don't get any updates at all, for Libre Office. Most importantly: no security updates. This is a real risk, because LO isn't an obscure package.

So if you really need that newer Libre Office, I advise to use the LibreOffice PPA for that:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... bre-Office
(item 6, right column)

In your case: in the command, replace "5.2" by "5.1".
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

ZakGordon wrote:
However sometimes something might not be available there and then your pretty much in wild west territory. Do you like fixing stuff that get's broken by your own actions? Do you have time to trouble shoot? Just a couple of things to ask yourself before proceeding.
I usually have left myself a way "backwards" in case things go awry.
ZakGordon wrote:
In relation to your Libre Office installation, is there some fix or advantage to doing that update, other than just knowing you have a later version?
I've had Writer freeze on me a couple of times.

I was making a simple "For Sale" sign, letter sized paper, landscape. IIRC, if I type the text in and then tried to resize the font, it froze. However, if I changed the font size before typing, it worked.

Overall, I do like to have the latest version of XXXXXXXX so bugs that I've not come across are fixed. That way, should I do something that would have triggered the bug in the old version, I don't have to deal with it. Being lazy and all... LOL
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

Cosmo. wrote:
At first deinstall the preinstalled LO.
This is one step I was wondering about, thanks.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

snowshed1 wrote:Overall, I do like to have the latest version of XXXXXXXX so bugs that I've not come across are fixed. That way, should I do something that would have triggered the bug in the old version, I don't have to deal with it. Being lazy and all... LOL
Old wisdom: updates are things that repair old, known bugs and introduce new, unknown bugs. :mrgreen:

For lazy people like you and I, sticking to the version in the official repo's usually guarantees optimal "smooth sailing"....
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote:
ZakGordon wrote:In relation to your Libre Office installation, is there some fix or advantage to doing that update, other than just knowing you have a later version?
That's the main question IMO. As mentioned most windows users I see in forums want the latest version to get the latest bug fixes. What they don't know is that they're also getting the latest bugs. Linux isn't any different there. Plus in Linux you're more likely to break something with non repo software.

Most of these applications are really quite mature. That's why there's so much usable open source software around. It's not actually that often that they come out with really new features. What new feature is there in the latest LO that you just cannot live without?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Rebel Dog

Post by Rebel Dog »

10 minutes in my office and I can show you why Libre Office is the first thing I throw out.
Apache Open office on the other hand runs things perfectly and faster with far more options.

When I decided to try Linux Mint 17.3, I had questions about what will run in it. Here's what I found.
Apache Open Office works great.
Google Earth runs OK missing a couple things. I need Google Earth.
Garmin GPS (Forget it) Land Kart,,,,no...
GoPro and other camera's, work even better with software in Linux. Open Shot is nice, and if you look at the free and low price photo software that's available for Windows and Apple, Linux Wins.
Most other plug in devices work good, USB, Printers, Mice,,,
Quad Copter and Drone Software, Windows wins.
Computer Games, I do not play games, I am too boring.
Bugs, what bugs? Wucho talkin bout?

It takes so much time to move all my furniture into a new apartment, I will stay with Rosa for now.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "snowshed1",

You are welcome.
Wiki wrote:A Personal Package Archive (PPA) is a special software repository for uploading source packages to be built and published as an APT repository by Launchpad. While the term is used exclusively within Ubuntu, Launchpad host Canonical envisions adoption beyond the Ubuntu community.
PCWorld wrote:Personal package archives explained

Usually just abbreviated to “PPA,” a personal package archive is just another little software repository you can add to your system. It generally contains many fewer packages than the tens of thousands included in big repositories. PPAs can contain new packages, new versions of packages, and other unstable packages that will one day be integrated into the main repositories, but aren’t yet. They’re hosted by individuals or teams on Canonical’s Launchpad service.
PPA's hosted by a software developer that is called "stable" is usually okay to use, like LibreOffce, and others.

What Is An Ubuntu PPA & Why Would I Want To Use One? [Technology Explained]
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-ppa ... explained/

How to use PPAs to install bleeding-edge software in Ubuntu and Linux Mint
PPAs are a great way for Linux users to install software that's unavailable in central repositories, but carry some risks you need to be aware of.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2942171/ ... -mint.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

Rebel Dog wrote:
10 minutes in my office and I can show you why Libre Office is the first thing I throw out.
Apache Open office on the other hand runs things perfectly and faster with far more options.
From what I know about the history of LO and OO, LO is now a more developed version of OO.

I'm curious, which version of OO are you running? I've a friend who uses OO in Windows 8.1, and doesn't always work. I don't know what features cause the problems.

I think a lot of people use it as they want MS Office compatibility, but 100% compatibility will never happen. I've found the more complex the document, the more problems there are.

And Base and Access seem to be pretty much incompatible.

It doesn't help when users will use Word to accomplish something that a dedicated program would be better, such as page layout.

I no longer use LO on a regular basis, but I need something for my 2 Linux systems, plus a single Windows 7 system at work.
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

Pjotr wrote: In your case: in the command, replace "5.2" by "5.1".
I will remember this, thanks.
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
That's the main question IMO. As mentioned most windows users I see in forums want the latest version to get the latest bug fixes. What they don't know is that they're also getting the latest bugs. Linux isn't any different there. Plus in Linux you're more likely to break something with non repo software.
Even commercial software has the issues of new bugs. WordPerfect 6 for example.

I used to work for the federal government. Office 97 was replaced by Office XP, What a piece of crap. I had to constantly deal with crashes of Word and broken docs. Never fixed until Office 2003 for me.

I wouldn't be looking at upgrading now if I hadn't stumbled on to the bug I mentioned with the first time I tried using it. LOL
snowshed1

Post by snowshed1 »

phd21 wrote:
What Is An Ubuntu PPA & Why Would I Want To Use One? [Technology Explained]
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ubuntu-ppa ... explained/

How to use PPAs to install bleeding-edge software in Ubuntu and Linux Mint
PPAs are a great way for Linux users to install software that's unavailable in central repositories, but carry some risks you need to be aware of.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2942171/ ... -mint.html
Thanks for the links, I have them open to read later.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "snowshed1",

You are welcome.

LibreOffice is pretty great, and the updates make it even better. There is also "AbiWord", Calligra, etc...

If you have trouble with a complex MS Office document file, you can always use MS Office online to open the document, and either save as or export into an open document format, or an older version of MS Office document file. Then, you should be able to use LO for those from now on. You can also use Google Documents and related online Office tools to do the same thing. And, there are numerous online conversion websites to convert files of various types into other types, like from MS office to LibreOffice (Open Source Office).

There are many plug-ins and add-ons to LibreOffice that are available to enhance LO to do many other things as well, check the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and their website, other websites too.

If you install LibreOffice Base, and or Calligra's Kexi, FireBird, etc... and all recommended and suggested packages, you should be able to import MS Office Access files; I have done it before. I do not know of any free applications that can import all of MS Access forms , SQL, etc... where you would have a complete fully functional Access database simply imported, but you can get the data, and then use LO Base or Kexi to re-create the forms and other stuff. Also, most of the web based server databases can also import the MS Access data by adding add-ons and plug-ins. There are other Linux and cross platform databases available as well that can read/write MS Access data files. The "UCanAccess" driver below can be used by LibreOffice Base and others.

UCanAccess is a pure Java JDBC Driver implementation which allows java developers and jdbc client programs to read/write Microsoft Access database (.mdb and .accdb files). No ODBC needed.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ucanac ... =directory

Most of the Linux Office Suits also have page layout designers (presentation software) for signs and stuff that work really well, including LibreOffice Impress and Calligra Stage. "Scribus" is another great one. And again, there are many online options as well that work on any operating system, including Linux, like Google Docs and related applications.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”