Kernel update - worth doing? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Boca
Level 4
Level 4

Kernel update - worth doing? [SOLVED]

Post by Boca »

while reading through another thread, i saw that it suggested removing unused kernels.

Upon checking, I found that I only have the one kernel installed ( 3.13.0-37) but it is not the recommended one ( 3.19.0-32)

Code: Select all

tony-dell@tonydell-Latitude-D630 ~ $ inxi –Fxz
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T7700 (-MCP-) speed/max~800/2401 MHz Kernel~3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 Up~17 min Mem~2054.5/3000.3MB HDD~1137.4GB(70.2% used) Procs~163 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.28  
tony-dell@tonydell-Latitude-D630 ~ $ arch
x86_64
tony-dell@tonydell-Latitude-D630 ~ $ inxi -S
System:    Host: tonydell-Latitude-D630 Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8  Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Is it worth upgrading? or stick with "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it"?

Rgds, Tony
Last edited by Boca on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Kernel update - worth doing?

Post by Cosmo. »

Leave it. It doesn't hurt and in case you come about a problem, which is possibly kernel-related, you can easily load it.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Your kernel is just fine; it's from the long term supported 3.13 series. If you wish to upgrade it at all (but why, if everything works well?), install the latest kernel from the 3.13 series.

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Linux Mint (including its kernel policy): https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Written for Mint 18, but the general idea is also applicable for Mint 17.x.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Does your install of Mint have a major problem? If not, if it ain't broke don't 'fix' it - it's the best answer for most things (not always, but mostly) :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kernel update - worth doing? [SOLVED]

Post by wmh »

In this case it shoud not update BUT what if he/she had a GPU in his system? Wouldn't it be better to update to get better performance out of his card?
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

Even though this thread is now marked as solved, I'm going to disagree with the prevailing attitude of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Basically, you don't know if it "ain't broke." Back in the day, we used to joke about "if it EOJs, it's OK" as a testing methodology. Basically, you can't assume that just because there's no smoke coming from the computer, everything's fine. Your kernel (3.13.0-37) was released something like two years ago (AFAIK -- it's hard to find that information). As you note, that's not even in the same series of kernels as the recommended level of 3.19.0-32. To figure out if there's something broken that you can't see, that might have been fixed between those releases (39 releases in the 3.13 series, 37 in the 3.16 series, and then 11 to the recommended level in the 3.19 series (though I doubt they could be summed up by mere addition)) you'd have to look through all those changelogs to see. The big killer might be any security fixes (things you'd probably almost never see so wouldn't know they were actually broken).

So, my advice would be to 1) back up your data, 2) back up your system (a couple of ways), 3) make sure you've got a usable boot/install disk, 4) gird your loins, bite the bullet, try the latest kernel you can find in Update Manager, and if it doesn't work, back it out. Keep moving back to earlier kernels until you find one that works. If it does work, then you can assume you've fixed as many of those hidden problems as is reasonable. If you don't feel comfortable going to the latest kernel available, at least go to the latest in the 3.19 series (EDIT: maybe not, see Pjotr's comments about the end-of-life of the 3.19 series, below).

As long as you're backed up and ready to recover through various methods, you should be fine (note that I updated my 17.3 Cinnamon all the way to the newest kernel available just after I installed and had no issues -- I usually pop it up to the newest every month).
Last edited by eatenimpinia on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If you decide to install a new kernel, be sure to leave the old kernel until you have determined that the new one works OK.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

@eatenimpinia: if you wish to apply that policy, you'd better stick to the "real" LTS kernel series: 3.13 and 4.4.

From the Augustus blog on linuxmint.com:
LTS kernels and stacks in Linux Mint 17.x

In Linux Mint 17.x (17, 17.1, 17.2, 17.3) the 3.16, 3.19 and 4.2 kernel series reached end-of-life, so they will no longer receive any new kernels.

The following series will continue to receive new kernel versions until 2019:

Source: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3083
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

Pjotr,

I'd wondered about your recommendation for staying in the 3.13 series earlier in the thread. That reference to the August blog explains it (I had read that blog earlier and, apparently, skipped right over the end-of-life stuff). Thanks.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

Return to “Newbie Questions”