need a computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
glendenning
Level 1
Level 1

need a computer

Post by glendenning »

I have can get someone to put the parts together but don't know what parts I should use to work well on linux. If you have a working Linux setup that is fairly new and would be able to give me guidance it would be appreciated. Can anyone share the workings of their machine? ie is ram 4 compatible, do i3,5,7 work on Linux? What motherboards work? etc. Any info would help.
Thanks
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: need a computer

Post by Moem »

i5 vPro here, with 4GB of RAM, working just fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Nearly everything works, but I advise to apply these thumb rules:

1. Don't buy bleeding edge new stuff, but hardware that's already on the market for some time. That increases the chance of the right drivers being present in the kernel of Mint 18. Additional advantage: it saves you a lot of money.

2. Make sure your graphics card is either Intel or Nvidia; avoid AMD and the others. Reason: Intel and Nvidia produce fine Linux drivers. AMD and the rest: not so much...

3. Wireless: don't buy a Broadcom chipset, but Atheros, Intel, Ralink or Realtek instead. Drivers...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The days when Linux didn't support certain hardware are long gone. Linux runs on just about everything now. In the 14 years I have been using Linux, I don't think I have ever come across a computer that wouldn't run Linux. I have come across a few printers that aren't supported on Linux, but I solved that problem by always using HP printers, which are well supported. And I found a few "winmodems" - modems that were designed specifically designed for Windows - that wouldn't work with Linux, but that was years ago and I don't think very many people are using dialup modems anymore.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Pjotr wrote:2. Make sure your graphics card is either Intel or Nvidia; avoid AMD and the others. Reason: Intel and Nvidia produce fine Linux drivers. AMD and the rest: not so much...
I just want to emphasise this... I've had an Intel card and an AMD card, and I do not care for the AMD card. ;) AMD also doesn't support their own proprietary drivers nearly as long as Nvidia.
That being said, the open-source driver for AMD is pretty decent unless you are planning on gaming.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you are unable to build a computer yourself, rather than selecting a bunch of components which you would have to research individually as to compatibility, why not get a computer parts distributor to assemble a system for you? You can also search online for computer builders who will assemble a custom system for you according to your requirements.

Regarding compatibility, I refer particularly to compatibility of components to work at their maximum potential together and not compatibility with Linux systems.

jimallyn very rightly stated that "Linux runs on just about everything now".
Pjotr made the point of avoiding bleeding edge components. A bleeding edge graphics card can cost way over $1000 when one for $200 may be quite satisfactory and give you many years of service.

Not so long ago the computer parts manufacturers engaged in a race, each one trying to outdo the other. This seems to have calmed down and planned obsolescence of computers is not as prevalent. Even Microsoft's upgrade policy has slowed (although more aggressive) and they have changed tack in their business practices.

I have built several systems and currently use an unlocked i7 (unlocked means that I can overclock should I need a faster processor) and 8 GB RAM.

First select a case, one with adequate ventilation and easily accessible air filters (cleanliness is everything). Consider liquid cooling, especially if you live in a hot climate. The motherboard has to pair with the chosen processor. Use Solid State Drives - SSD - they are faster than mechanical drives. Get a power supply unit able to supply ample and steady power from a reputable manufacturer - don't skimp on that.
Also consider buying an uninterruptible power supply unit - UPS to protect you from electrical power surges and outages.

Lastly, Good Luck in your endeavour :)
Last edited by kyphi on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Consider liquid nitrogen cooling" I just did :shock: liquid yes, not nitrogen.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Quite right Mute Ant - liquid nitrogen is for brief overclocking only.

I have amended my post. Thank you.

My i7 3770K was overclocked to 7.089 GHz using liquid nitrogen cooling - so the advertising blurb stated.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I usually apply German engineered liquid cooling to the Operator.
beer2.jpg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

austin.texas wrote:I usually apply German engineered liquid cooling to the Operator.
beer2.jpg
Mint was originally based in Ireland, so is this operator's cooling fluid...

I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Now that choices of cooling are out of the way, Mint will run on just about anything. If you are resource challenged using XFCE (I can never remember acronyms...) or Mate is a better choice than Gnome or KDE. If you're coming from Windows you'll be more comfortable with Mate.

I have one machine running 17.1 with a 3GHz Pentium dual core, 4G RAM and an nVidia card w 512MB ram and it runs just fine. You could build a machine like that for a couple hundred bucks. I have an old Dell single core 1.7G with 1G RAMBUS :shock: and a 256M nvidia card going strong. I use this one when someone gives me a HDD they think has a virus. You can get something like that for $50.

Running Mint will make a computer that would puke on Windows fly.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

glendenning wrote:I have can get someone to put the parts together but don't know what parts I should use to work well on linux. If you have a working Linux setup that is fairly new and would be able to give me guidance it would be appreciated. Can anyone share the workings of their machine? ie is ram 4 compatible, do i3,5,7 work on Linux? What motherboards work? etc. Any info would help.
Thanks
Lots of great advice so far to help you on your way, I would ask one more thing to help you maybe clarify things. Are you looking to build a new PC in general, like if you were not looking to try Linux Mint would you be doing this? The main reason for me having built a new system(s) in the past has pretty much always been because i wanted a better gaming rig, so in that context i was pretty much always building a new PC to run windows on.

Yes you can game on Linux, more games come out on Linux than before, but still gaming is very much dominated by Windows.

So, if you are looking to build a gaming PC i would suggest you just go ahead and build one that you might want to dual boot later with both Windows and Linux on it? It's an extra layer of complication but IF this is for gaming, Windows is still the OS you want in all honesty.

Having said that, if that is the aim, do as others have suggested and don't build a top of the line bleeding edge hardware based machine, as that will make it more likely that Linux Mint (or other Linux) will have some driver issues etc.

If you are not building a gaming PC, pretty much anything within the guidelines people have already mentioned should work just fine. Do you not have an old PC lying around perhaps for trying Mint on first? That's how i started with Mint :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

austin.texas wrote:I usually apply German engineered liquid cooling to the Operator.
beer2.jpg
Let me know when you'll be doing "system maintenance" next. I'll offer my services helping you empty the reservoirs...
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MartyMint wrote:
beer2.jpg
Let me know when you'll be doing "system maintenance" next. I'll offer my services helping you empty the reservoirs...
The only problem is using that for coolant requires frequent draining and refilling...

Nice pedal, BTW.

MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Arch_Enemy wrote:
The only problem is using that for coolant requires frequent draining and refilling...
I'm up to the task.
:)

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Nice pedal, BTW.
I only wished I owned one.
Rakarrack is a lot of fun though.
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

A home-made desktop is much more likely to be Linux-compatible than any off-the-shelf unit with a Windows pre-install.

I have built several machines with Asus mombos and NVidia cards. Some of these had on-board AMD GPUs, which I disabled in favor of discrete NVidia cards. So far, the NICs always work out of the box.

At home I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with an NVidia card. Although the Sabretooth product is mature, it's very rugged and I still haven't sat down in front of a more responsive desktop. I also have a friend with this same setup who agrees. We have run every imaginable Linux Distro, never encountering a roadblock. And it has extensive overclocking features.

For the GPU I prefer Nvidia over all others. (Note that the world's most powerful supercomputers use NVida GPUs for general purpose graphics processing units (GPGPUs ) and they run Linux.) NVidia GPUs are quite Linux-compatible... out of the box. Stay away from hybrid graphics processing technology.

As for the CPU, I prefer AMD over Intel. They run cooler and microcode is much easier to implement and upgrade.

For me, memory is memory. I stick to spinning WD disk drives, only because I have never had one crap out and they are always compatible.

Whatever mombo you plan to get, download the user guide from the manufacturer's website and verify that the bios is adequately configurable for your needs. I am particularly fussy about hardware virtualisation options, the ability to revert to legacy BIOs, and a mechanism for disabling the secure boot mumbo jumbo (useless feature that bricks hardware).
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Yes, just about anything will work if the choices are right.Last Friday I picked up a scraptop at Freegeek for $30. HP Paviliondv2000 with no hard drive but it functioned (booted to bios), has a DVD burner mounted and 2 gig ram with a AMD 64X2X2 and a wifi card that is recognized n LM 18, 64 bit Cinnamon. LM 18 even recognizes My Xerox phaser 6500N printer on my home network. I put a 250GB SSD, from Fry's on sale for $59, into the HD pocket and formatted it off a 4 GIG flash drive. Strange! The drive shows up correctly but it also shows up s a 500 GIG drive with 250 gig in the 4 partitions with LM 18 including the 1.1 gig private and 2 additional blocks of 250 GIG formated as ext4?
Yes! Anything works with the right choices of parts.
glendenning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glendenning »

Wow you guys and girls are fantastic! Thanks so much for all the quick and useful responses. I am still not sure as to how drivers for peripherals will work on new systems. But that ASUS Sabertooth 990FX is very fast and probably very current. Any suggestions re drivers. I already have an old Brother laser printer that has worked on on Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint 17.3 but it was when I went to mount newer Linux OSs that I got the message that legacy was not accepted as a BIOS. Since my machine is 10 years old I wanted to go for new. Scanner is Epson V370 (quite new) and it now works off of sane.
Thanks again.
Glen
glendenning
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glendenning »

Does the choice of DDR3 or 4 make a difference with Linux OSs or drivers?
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

glendenning wrote:Does the choice of DDR3 or 4 make a difference with Linux OSs or drivers?
No.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Newbie Questions”