BleachBit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

BleachBit

Post by dl9220 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:07 pm

High all,

After several years of Mint, I keep running into people claiming BleachBit will wreck the system. So far none has delivered an example of what files are wrecked and which survives.

Me, I've been using it since many years on different distro's without ever running into any hick-up. After carefully checking all options and configuring manually, of course.

So, now for the question :D Who can provide users with a clear motivated explanation to not use BleachBit. FYI, I'm also one of these guys using multiple PPA's (e.g. removing Libreoffice and installing it from ppa). And up to now, I only do clean installs when moving from one distro to it's successor.

Cheers
Mint Sarah Xfce (Linux 4.8.4 Low Latency) on MSI A88Xi-AC + AMD A10-7850@4.2 gHz + AMD R9-270X + Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1866 + Adata SX900-64
Lenovo Z50-75 - Mint Sarah Xfce (4.8.4 Low Latency) AMD FX7500 - Corsair ForceLS 120 Gb - Corsair 16 Gb 1866DDR3 lv

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Re: BleachBit

Post by Schultz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:55 pm

I use it also (very sparingly) without any adverse affects on my system. One thing that has wrecked some people's system, if my memory serves me correctly, from forum posts here, is the wipe function.

People who tend to just check every box without knowing what it does should not use Bleachbit.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:28 pm

I think people get into trouble using advanced functions. As Shultz has indicated--using the wipe function to recover free space.
This is something that seems logical to do as the hd becomes filled, but bb itself requires substantial hd space to complete such an operation.
When it requires more storage than is available you can expect overwritten files and other major problems. Also these operations should NEVER be interrupted-even as several hours pass without completion. If the process is interrupted by user intervention or power interruption you can expect major problems or even a complete os reinstall.
So best to use safe methods such as:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi "dl9220",

I always install "Bleachbit". I like the secure delete options under "File" in the toolbar, and the basic clean up options.

I think where people can get into trouble with "Bleachbit" is using the "Bleachbit as Root" option, where system files can be accidentally deleted. I never run that one.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:52 pm

There are more risks. Example: vacuum databases. Also there is a proven case, where Bleachbit deleted a Firefox profile in a test build. Examples of user problems, which came out as BB problems, are numerous.

The other way of evaluating it has to be done with the question, what this software offers, what you cannot do by other means. My working system exists since more than 2 years (last install of LM 17, after that upgraded to at now 17.3). The system runs smooth and stable just as I expect it. None of the test systems (with Mint 17.x), which I installed as test cases in between this time, did show any advantage. All that without such a software wrecking ball.

Leave BB or use it, it is the user's decision. But the user has to be prepared, that he can restore his system by a current image backup - or to install the system anew.

Without any doubt you can find many posts - even blogs - where users tell, that they used it since years without falling into problems. I do not doubt that, is a sane user would not use if for years, if he would have encountered problems. But if you read more carefully you find, that they also say: don't use this or that function. Why don't they tell, why the hell this and that function is implemented at all, if even the fanboys make big circles around them? So actually even the defenders have some fear against it. It merely looks, as if some people think, that an OS must get cleaned, just as you would clean your household or your car.But even for those examples there does not exist an universal cleaner for anything; but BB claims, to be such a marvelous thing. At least I have not ever seen a human, who uses the same cleaner for his underwear, his shoes, the floor of his home and for the seats of his car, perhaps also for cleaning his teeth. :roll:

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:08 pm

So best to use safe methods such as:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4
When one press the 'Delete cached package files' button, how does one know if it works?
I tried it but didn't see any indication (a pop up dialog) to say 'done' or 'nothing to clear'. I hit OK anyway, not knowing if anything actually happened.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Ronnie01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronnie01 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Also there is a proven case, where Bleachbit deleted a Firefox profile in a test build.
Ahha... isn't a TEST BUILD meant for this?? Any REAL proove???

I think this is a contradiction, isn't it?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:22 pm

xdicey wrote:When one press the 'Delete cached package files' button, how does one know if it works?
I tried it but didn't see any indication (a pop up dialog) to say 'done' or 'nothing to clear'. I hit OK anyway, not knowing if anything actually happened.
There are always chances, to improve things. E.g. if there would be a short information like "cache fills at now X MB", that you would notice, that X would get a 0 (zero). For now you can check with your file manager in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Ronnie01 wrote:Ahha... isn't a TEST BUILD meant for this?? Any REAL proove???

I think this is a contradiction, isn't it?
No. A test system is meant to test things without the risk to loose data. You accept it only as proof, if real data on a working station gets deleted? That sounds like a person, who does only believe, that arsenic is poison, after he gave it somebody to eat. :shock: :shock: :shock:

In this case: If I copy a profile into the test system and it gets deleted, I will surely not be such silly to "test" in the real system, if this happens there also.

Strange objection. :shock:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:56 pm

BleachBit: at its best superfluous, at its worst catastrophic for your system. I consider it as a grave mistake of the Ubuntu MOTU's, that they've allowed this software wrecking ball into the Universe repository.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
xdicey wrote:When one press the 'Delete cached package files' button, how does one know if it works?
There are always chances, to improve things. E.g. if there would be a short information like "cache fills at now X MB", that you would notice, that X would get a 0 (zero). For now you can check with your file manager in /var/cache/apt/archives.
Thanks Cosmo. Checked -nothing in there. All gone it seems.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

matt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by matt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:35 am

Pjotr wrote:BleachBit: at its best superfluous, at its worst catastrophic for your system. I consider it as a grave mistake of the Ubuntu MOTU's, that they've allowed this software wrecking ball into the Universe repository.
This is true. I think that most victims of BleachBit are mostly former Windows users as the GUI looks similar to CCleaner in Windows. Unfortunately, this is not the case as far as functionality goes. BleachBit should only be used by someone who knows how to configure it manually and knows exactly what each option does prior to enabling/disabling any and running it.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:42 am

there is a perception, from former Windows users,
that using Bleachbit is the same as using CCleaner - - it's not the same, not even close.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:15 am

Heated debate :D

Seems IMHO, the real issue is boiled down to 'un-informed' users making the wrong decissions while configuring the application. Personally, I clean up my system about once every few monts. This leads to between 500 MB and 1 GB recovered space. Some functions are only 'viewable' as normal user, cleaning them requiers restarting as root.

When time permits, I'll try to put a 'manual' up. However, attentive users will notice each option is clearly explained in the program itself. Clicking an option shows what/why is happening. If unsure, don't activate that or this option.

Cheers...
Mint Sarah Xfce (Linux 4.8.4 Low Latency) on MSI A88Xi-AC + AMD A10-7850@4.2 gHz + AMD R9-270X + Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1866 + Adata SX900-64
Lenovo Z50-75 - Mint Sarah Xfce (4.8.4 Low Latency) AMD FX7500 - Corsair ForceLS 120 Gb - Corsair 16 Gb 1866DDR3 lv

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:40 am

matt wrote:BleachBit should only be used by someone who knows how to configure it manually and knows exactly what each option does prior to enabling/disabling any and running it.
I would agree, but the point is, that those users also know, how to do it better without that.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 am

BleachBit = A Linux solution to a Windows problem

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:51 am

NO knowledgeable Linux users would touch bleachbit or anything similar.

In fact knowledgeable WIndows users won't use those sort of registry cleaners either. They can't be trusted. All the IT support people I know would go into the registry manually.

If the OP can't do the research to find out why this is, or (I suspect) can't understand the answer, well, there's not much you can do about that.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:54 am

I don't understand why people use BleachBit. I don't want some algorithm deciding what to keep and what to throw out. And I don't generally put stuff on my computer that I don't want, so there would be nothing for BleachBit to "clean."

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
NO knowledgeable Linux users would touch bleachbit or anything similar.
I guess I'm not knowledgeable according to your opinion. Care to educate me on it?

Ronnie01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronnie01 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 am

i did a search on google and found this about bleachbit. some user aske a questions about it: https://www.bleachbit.org/forum/bleachb ... ow-safe-it

and u found this: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... bleachbit/
a post dating back to 2012..... you must be joking when you're today still ranting about a program which had an issue 4 years ago....

and also, the bleachbit available in synaptic is older than avialable on the website of bleachbit. so you people use an outdated program version. version 1.12 is available on the website and in synaptic version 1.10 is avaiable: https://www.bleachbit.org/news/bleachbit-112

and what about this: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/bleachbit ??? on the linux mint community website....????

so i think this program is doing great things. otherwise people wont use it.

especially what this guy is saying appeals to me:
Second, I've also read that BleachBit is dangerous, but like you, I could not get any specifics, so I suppose it is speculation or rumor instead of fact. If there is any "dangerous" option in BleachBit, it should either be clearly labeled or removed. Anyone is free to report any "dangerous" (unintended) side effects or audit the source code for any reason. There are no secrets.
had anyone of you complainers send an email to the developer of bleachbit reporting issues?? i guess not cause that is too much work and takes too much effort... ranting about it on a forum is sooooooo much easier........ :roll: :roll: :roll:

and no, im not a die-hard bleachbit supporter but a regular user and i had never any issue with bleachbit whatsoever. and i can't stand this kind of ranting. if you folks now it all beter, create a piece of software yourself overthrowing bleachbit in every way.

Return to “Newbie Questions”