BleachBit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: BleachBit

Post by austin.texas » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 am

Moem wrote:But so far, no one has been able to explain to me why they feel they need this software. To clean out the temp files? A reboot does that. To clean out the browser's cache and cookies? The browser can do that, automatically even. To wipe free space? Problems have been reported with that.

I do not think BleachBit is by definition bad. I merely think it's completely unnecessary for me, as a user, and there are too many things that can go wrong when newbies use it carelessly. I'm not anti-BleachBit; I'm anti-[recommending BleachBit to complete newbies who come from Windows and think they need to use a cleaner because they used one on Windows].
Yes. Well said, and precisely correct.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

Moem wrote:Cosmo already proved this. And I believe him. If people say they have had no problems with BleachBit, I believe them too. And I'm happy for them and they are, of course, free to do as they please. It's their machine.

But so far, no one has been able to explain to me why they feel they need this software. To clean out the temp files? A reboot does that. To clean out the browser's cache and cookies? The browser can do that, automatically even. To wipe free space? Problems have been reported with that.

I do not think BleachBit is by definition bad. I merely think it's completely unnecessary for me, as a user, and there are too many things that can go wrong when newbies use it carelessly. I'm not anti-BleachBit; I'm anti-[recommending BleachBit to complete newbies who come from Windows and think they need to use a cleaner because they used one on Windows].
Cosmo's issue seems more like an occurrence not a trend. If it were a trend, you'd thinkt he BB forums would be littered with "usuing this destroy my FireFox"

People have explained their need for for BleachBit, in this thread and others. You may not agree with their intentions.
Not everyone knows how to remove history of videos from VLC. Granted they can make a project out of doing this to acheive there goal, or just use BleachBit.
Not everyone has same computer specs or same uses for computers or even same computer ethics.
Some people go to questionable sites for their own reasons. They may only need to remove history when there is a chance someone may use their computer without their awareness.
Some people may do command line activity which reveals their passwords to things. They could make it a habit of doing "history -c" everytime they leave. I know I do (lol ... thats a joke, someone could look at my history and really do damage)

I am sure people can think up more uses for BleachBit.
*I am sure some people cant stand GPARTED and just use command line

For the record - BleachBit is not protection, it is not FSCK, it is not for tuning performance.
Deja VU: When you get killed and restart your life at a saved point in time
Always research any suggestions given to you.
Admins: Please delete my inappropriate/destructive posts - you have my authorization

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:05 am

atari800 wrote:Cosmo's issue seems more like an occurrence not a trend.
Words, nothing than words. Call it as you like. I call it a fact of destroyed user data.

This is not "Cosmo's issue", btw. I have no issue, as I did a test in a test environment, where nothing could happen except that I find the weak points. But even this procedure doesn't seem to find everybody's acceptance as this poster demonstrated. I replied to that already, I say it with other words now: I do not need to jump out of a high flying airplane without a parachute to know already beforehand, that I will be dead some minutes later. And I am not silly enough to even think about that.

If you want to make your own test case: feel free. Again: I do not need to participate in an action, that I did already some time ago. There are more interesting things to do.

The case of a user, who used BB to "clean" /tmp demonstrates something more, what reveals things: It was not just a user, who did something because lacking the relevant knowledge. That is understandable, as nobody is expected to know everything. I pointed this lack of knowledge out, because this point was used as argument for defending BB. The really revealing point here is, that there must be a reason, why this "feature" has been added to this crap. I find only 2 possible explanations: Either the knowledge of the BB-maker is not so fundamental, as it should be or he simply adds, whatever can be added to let the program appear as powerful. Both explanations do not look sane.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 am

atari800 wrote: Not everyone has same computer specs or same uses for computers or even same computer ethics.
Some people go to questionable sites for their own reasons. They may only need to remove history when there is a chance someone may use their computer without their awareness.
Some people may do command line activity which reveals their passwords to things. They could make it a habit of doing "history -c" everytime they leave. I know I do (lol ... thats a joke, someone could look at my history and really do damage)
That's why you are supposed to create a user account for each user...
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Habitual wrote:
chrisuk wrote:These "Dangerous" programs all have one thing in common - they are all GUI based
Finally. Someone said it. Any tool used improperly, can have ill effects.
Some tools are just lipstick on a pig.
Who wants to trust their system to a lipstick-wearing pig?
yah, that's the point. If you have some userfriendly GUI, it's a danger to the keyboard-code-hacking-nerd-community. It's mighty feeling towards the 'new' user to have knowledge about abstract codes. As long as this happens, linux will never become mainstream userfriendly. And that's not the fault of the user, it's the fault of the community that craves exclusive knowledge...

I'm done here...
Mint Sarah Xfce (Linux 4.8.4 Low Latency) on MSI A88Xi-AC + AMD A10-7850@4.2 gHz + AMD R9-270X + Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1866 + Adata SX900-64
Lenovo Z50-75 - Mint Sarah Xfce (4.8.4 Low Latency) AMD FX7500 - Corsair ForceLS 120 Gb - Corsair 16 Gb 1866DDR3 lv

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Lol - awesome and unfortunately true
Admins: Please delete my inappropriate/destructive posts - you have my authorization

RichardFreeman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RichardFreeman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 pm

dl9220 wrote: If you have some userfriendly GUI, it's a danger to the keyboard-code-hacking-nerd-community. It's mighty feeling towards the 'new' user to have knowledge about abstract codes. As long as this happens, linux will never become mainstream userfriendly. And that's not the fault of the user, it's the fault of the community that craves exclusive knowledge...

I'm done here...
Are you serious? :D

You probably confused this forum with some Debian mailing list...

Linux Mint is all about mighty, user friendly GUI applications, and apparently the people who you are talking with (and about) in this thread are long-term Linux Mint users who have helped new users in many instances ("exclusive knowledge", right?).

Nobody is forbidding anybody to use BleachBit.
It's just that - if asked about - some experienced Mint users will warn you about potential risks when using this tool naively (+ telling you how the cleaning BleachBit does, can safely be achieved on command line if you are willing to spend some time learning how to).

Just think of BleachBit as a possibly harmful Level 5 update in the Update Manager - it might help cleaning but also might be harmful to some systems. Can't hurt to have a full backup before applying it. :mrgreen:

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:51 pm

ok to be more clear when i said rpm distro i meant pclinuxos/kde4 which DOES NOT delete /tmp upon reboot and also has a home/tmp linked to it. never used fedora/suse.

why is it elitists always jump on the KILL GUI wagon? yes you should put your trust in the way BB decides to clean stuff. it's open source isn't it?

isn't your kernel open source? don't you put your trust in that? and aren't most of your apps open source with a GUI and don't you trust that the developers half way know what they doing?

you can format your all your storage drives with g-parted if you don't know how to use it yet no one seems to say DON'T USE g-parted. you can also and most likely always mess up your bootloader installing linux if you don't know what you're doing RIGHT?

get's on my nerves hearing it's not the linux way or it's not the arch way ... so freking what !!! live and let live and help the unfortunate

and most of us use a cheat sheet anyway and paste commands into the terminal. well i do anyway, if you don't and remember every single command by memory than you are master linux advanced user so good for you. the command below will map all your applications with desktop names and categories (not sure if working on kde5) and post it to your desktop ... there's no way i can type all that in

ps: no one says that in mint/ubuntu all the /var/cache/apt are stored and not deleted by default

Code: Select all

sed -nrs '/^\[Desktop Entry\]/d;/^(\[|Name=|Exec=|Categories=)/p;${g;p}' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde4/*.desktop > ~/Desktop/Names-n-Commands.txt
yes, i got offtopic 'scuse the [/rant] :!:

Ronnie01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronnie01 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 am

atari800 wrote: How many times do you think people ran bleach bit successfully without reporting to the forums "success"?
Finally!! someone who is asking the right question!

This seems the problem here, one has an issue with BB and keeps on ranting about it. a 100 users who doesn't had any issues are very happy and content with BB but does not share it. So we all keep following that one person who had some issues with BB in de past and keeps ranting about it like he is our saviour telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth????

Ronnie01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronnie01 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 am

mingle wrote:Been using Bleachbit for years on my LM systems, both as Root and as 'user'.

I have all cleaning settings selected, aside from "Memory" and "Free Space" and have never had any issues.

Maybe I'm lucky (but I don't think so).
No you're not lucky, you're using BB correctly.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:07 am

Well, all I can say is: have lots of fun with your software wrecking ball! :lol:

The BB believers can't be convinced, which is OK. Every man has the right to his own follies..... It's a free world.

But hopefully the warnings against BleachBit in this thread, help to prevent other Linux beginners from becoming victims of that bloody wrecking application. If only we save some, it's well worth it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 am

Ronnie01 wrote: Finally!! someone who is asking the right question!
Nope. The right question was asked days ago by several persons (me included) but is carefully avoided by BB evangelist:
Moem wrote: But so far, no one has been able to explain to me why they feel they need this software. To clean out the temp files? A reboot does that. To clean out the browser's cache and cookies? The browser can do that, automatically even. To wipe free space? Problems have been reported with that.

As Pjor said, everyone is free to use the software they want. If you are using BB without issues I am really happy for you.
But if you advise BB to your friends and something turns wrong, I hope you will be in a position to fix it. And if you report the problem on this forum in your quest for advises, don't be surprised to be added to our list of BB fails. And don't be surprise to be linked to this thread :mrgreen:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:56 am

killer de bug wrote:As Pjor said, everyone is free to use the software they want.
I can hardly count, how often I wrote the same already. But quite obviously this is not enough for the enthusiast. They want to preach their holy believe, regardless if it makes sense in a given context at all, as we have seen often enough.
killer de bug wrote:But if you advise BB to your friends and something turns wrong, I hope you will be in a position to fix it.
Until today none of those admirers of the holy cow jumped in, when such a case arrived here. Leaving open, if they cannot or if they do not want. Responsibility for given admiration and knowledge looks different.

So again - knowing, that it will again get ignored: I accept if somebody uses, whatever he wants - even Windows. I do not accept, if dangerous advises are given to users, who come here, to solve a problem, not to create an additional problem.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:57 am

AKAIK, those in this forum (including staff) who are anti-Bleachbit are merely expressing a personal opinion. It is not an opinion officially shared by RHEL, CentOS , Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, LinuxMint, SUSE Enterprise Linux, etc... Anyone reading this thread should bear that in mind when deciding whether or not to use Bleachbit.

IMHO:

All software is dangerous (DO NOT DO THIS->) - open Nemo/Caja/Thunar/Dolphin - click on Home - - Select All - Shift-Delete. Or (DO NOT DO THIS->) open Nemo/Caja/Thunar/Dolphin as Administrator and play with files/folders owned by root. (Mods: delete those last two sentences if you feel it unsafe to post)

New users are told to trust software in the repositories, told not to install from other sources - they come here and ask about a program in the repositories... and are told; "Danger Will Robinson!!! It's a Software Wrecking Ball!!!" Does no-one see how this might confuse new Linux users? Who should they trust?
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:06 am

chrisuk wrote:AKAIK, those in this forum (including staff) who are anti-Bleachbit are merely expressing a personal opinion.
This is certainly true. Just like those who are calling BleachBit 'foolproof'.
chrisuk wrote:New users are told to trust software in the repositories, told not to install from other sources - they come here and ask about a program in the repositories... and are told; "Danger Will Robinson!!! It's a Software Wrecking Ball!!!" Does no-one see how this might confuse new Linux users?
Au contraire. I think everyone sees that. Do you have a solution in mind?

I personally think it's better if BleachBit weren't in the repos. Everyone should, of course, still have the option to install and use it. But it's not a newbie-friendly piece of software. So I'm okay with the idea that people would need to go and download it on their own.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Ronnie01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronnie01 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:08 am

Pjotr wrote:Well, all I can say is: have lots of fun with your software wrecking ball! :lol:

The BB believers can't be convinced, which is OK. Every man has the right to his own follies..... It's a free world.

But hopefully the warnings against BleachBit in this thread, help to prevent other Linux beginners from becoming victims of that bloody wrecking application. If only we save some, it's well worth it.
as it was said. we only here the few who has problems, not the mass who is happy with BB. So have fun continuing ranting about BB if that makes you happy ;)

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 am

YES or NO
#1 FDISK safe?
#2 VI safe?
#3 RM safe?
#4 GIMP safe?
#5 PLUMA safe?
#6 APT-GET safe?
#7 Is this character sequence safe? :(){ :|:& };:
#8 Is Bleachbit safe?
#9 Is Clementine safe?

The Old Timer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by The Old Timer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

search.php?keywords=BleachBit
1629 matches: BleachBit

BleachBit topic ends the same.
Some like it.
Some hate it.
Last edited by The Old Timer on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am

You're repeating yourself, with just some other phrases. People, who go only in circles, are never supposed to reach any end.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:11 am

Ubuntu Cleaner

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/12/free ... anitor-app

New tool to upset Pjotr. :mrgreen:

Return to “Newbie Questions”