"Another application is using APT" - What in the world?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

"Another application is using APT" - What in the world?

Post by SpookyWatcher »

I booted up the laptop, and went to look for updates with update manager. LM 17.2 KDE and it would not refresh. It says at the bottom..."Another application is using APT"

Should I be worried? How do I find what is using apt? I've not commanded anything to use APT. Could it be something nefarious?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: "Another application is using APT" - What in the world?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SpookyWatcher",

Not to worry, just logout and log back in, or restart (reboot). I usually restart.

It could be that something you started to install from the console terminal command prompt, or from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) was going on at the same time a Mint Updater was updating.

To repair Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
and or installing software from the console terminal prompt.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes -f

Note: You cannot, or should not, install anything while the Mint Update Manager is updating
or you have the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) open at the same time. Just like you cannot install from the console terminal prompt while updating or in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) at the same time.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

SpookyWatcher wrote:Should I be worried? How do I find what is using apt?
Yes, you have to be worried. It means, that the update manager will not be able to look for new updates.
The reason might be any opened tool, which uses the package management in the background: Software Manager, Driver Manager, Package Manager (Synaptic).

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher »

I think I figured it out.

To clarify...I had not initiated any apt command whatso ever. I just booted up and after about a minute went to look for updates. But that's when I saw the "Another application is using APT"

I believe now that it was update manager itself. After about 1.5 minutes I was able to refresh updates. I clicked on details as it was doing it. It failed on several items (mostly translation updates). But it stalled on those about the same amount of time that I was unable to refresh updates the first time.

So I believe it was update manager refreshing updates on it's own after first boot (the auto daily check) and getting stuck on those that failed. So when I went to refresh...it was already doing it behind the scenes. And when it finally gave up on the failed ones. I was able to refresh.

At least that is my hunch and theory.

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

SpookyWatcher wrote:So I believe it was update manager refreshing updates on it's own after first boot (the auto daily check) and getting stuck on those that failed. So when I went to refresh...it was already doing it behind the scenes. And when it finally gave up on the failed ones. I was able to refresh.

At least that is my hunch and theory.
You're probably right. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Newbie Questions”