How do I build from Source (kde-connect)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SnowCat
Level 1
Level 1

How do I build from Source (kde-connect)

Post by SnowCat »

KDE-connect 1.0 is out and I would like to use it. However it has not yet been added to the repositories yet.
Here : https://albertvaka.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... 0-is-here/ it says that it can be build from the source available here: http://download.kde.org/stable/kdeconne ... mirrorlist

However I have no idea how to do this.Any help would be very welcome
Thank you
Snowcat
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How do I build from Source (kde-connect)

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SnowCat",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Why do you want to use this version of "KDE -Connect", is there anything wrong with the one you have, or do you just want to use some of the cool new features?

The first thing to do when you want to build something from a source code is to install "build essentials" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
Good Link
https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect#Installation

Here are various instructions that I have on installing from source code, but I have not tested these with this particular source code (yet).

How to Install Software from a Tarball in Linux
https://www.maketecheasier.com/install- ... -in-linux/

Installing software in linux
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1525

Video EXPLAINED: How to Install .tar, .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 files on Linux [ Step-by-Step Guide]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njqib0fzE9c

How do I install a tar.gz file?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/154302/h ... ar-gz-file

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

The ppa versions and .deb versions don't seem to work ... there's a ppa for Ubuntu 16.10 which I wouldn't expect to work on Mint 18 or earlier. I cannot find anything indicating that it works for anyone in earlier versions. Why would I think compiling it from source would work? I'd wait a bit myself.

Compiling from source is not a beginner level topic, I'm afraid.
SnowCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SnowCat »

Thanks for your replies.
I have version 0.8 of kdeconnect and that works fine, but i want the shiny new features. Hoser Rob the older version which is in the ppa and .deb version do work in Cinnamon, try this : viewtopic.php?p=1205739#p1205739.
I switched to the Linux Mint kde beta anyway.
The problem is, that there is no configure file, no make file and no install file anywhere to be found in that download. So what do i do if there is no such file?
I also thought that maybe I had to build it like a plasmoid, but there is no metadata.desktop file either.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SnowCat",

I have more information.

For those who do not know, "Kde-connect" will work on all Linux Mint editions, and is an incredible program that was just updated to v1.x. For non-KDE desktops (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce), you might also want to install "indicator-kdeconnect", that provides a system tray icon as a GUI for other desktops.

The links below are where I first found out about this. These are worth reading, quickly reviewing.
Using "KDE Connect" to Sync your Android Device(s) with Your Linux Computer
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kde-connec ... oid-linux/

Connect Your Android Device To Your Ubuntu Using "KDE Connect"
http://www.noobslab.com/2015/01/connect ... -your.html

This is the new link you provided:
https://albertvaka.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... 0-is-here/

Here is the PPA for "kde-connect", which I just used to upgrade my "kde-connect" to version "0.8". I am using Linux Mint KDE v17.3 which I love (only 32-bit :? because of ancient computer hardware). Unfortunately, I do not have a nice Android phone to test this wonderful application :( .

This new update is not yet available in the PPA, or in easy to download and install Linux ".deb" files, or the repositories (Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)). It will probably be in the PPA well before the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

For Linux Mint 18 (Ubuntu 16.04) users: Easy to download and install Linux ".deb" files (this is probably in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM))
Might be links to ".deb" files for earlier Linux Mint versions as well 17.x or less
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/co ... kdeconnect

For Linux Mint KDE users: (KDE users do not need the system tray panel indicator because we already have one.)
To install and update this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vikoadi/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kdeconnect

For Cinnamon, Mate, & Xfce users:
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vikoadi/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indicator-kdeconnect kdeconnect

Cinnamon, Mate, & Xfce users: If you want to make it autostart then enter following command in terminal:
Terminal Commands:
cp /usr/share/applications/indicator-kdeconnect.desktop ~/.config/autostart/

As was already stated, compiling from source code is not a beginner's task, so I would also recommend that you wait until this is available in the PPA, or as an easy to install Linux ".deb" file download. If you install this PPA now, then "kde-connect" will automatically be updated to the new version when it is available.

I have done a fair amount of research on this. I have not been able to compile this recent update:

Here are the compiling instructions I found, but these are older instructions:
Install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake kdebase-workspace-dev libqjson-dev git libqca2-dev

* Get the source code (use the new download link, I do not know if the command below will retrieve the new source code)
I downloaded the new file from the link you provided and extracted the "tar' archive into my "/home" folder (right click extract here autodetect sub-folder).
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kdeconnect-kde

Then, you have to get into your "kdeconnect-kde" folder that was created from a console terminal prompt. The new update creates a folder "kdeconnect-kde-1.0". I tried the compiling instructions using both folder names with and without the version number, and it still did not compile for me.

cd kdeconnect-kde
or
cd kdeconnect-kde-1.0

These are the actual instructions for compiling this application from its source code, from what I can tell these are the normal typical instructions.

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ./
make
sudo make install

Here are the errors that I got which prevented the following "make" command from working:

~/kdeconnect-kde-1.0 > cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ./

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:10 (find_package):
Could not find a package configuration file provided by "ECM" (requested
version 0.0.9) with any of the following names:

ECMConfig.cmake
ecm-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "ECM" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "ECM_DIR"
to a directory containing one of the above files. If "ECM" provides a
separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/user69/kdeconnect-kde-1.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Hope this helps ...

FYI:
If you are not using Linux Mint KDE, and want to be able to run some very high quality KDE applications,
then install these few programs below in the quote box in blue, which are perfectly safe for any edition of Linux mint.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Amarok, Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, "K3b", "Kolourpaint", etc...)
run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too),
or install from the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins

Depending on your setup, you might also need to install "KDE-runtime" as well.
If you want to use "Kmail", and or "Korganizer", and or Kontacts, and or "Kalarm", then you will probably have to also install "kdepim".
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
SnowCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SnowCat »

I did it =)
I installed all the required files and compiled it. Then i realized there was a bug, because kde-connect needs Qt 5.6.
The corrected version which checks for the right Qt version can be downloaded here: https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdeconnect- ... 277db05daa.
I then downloaded qt5.6, installed it, found out how to add a path to /etc/profile, did that and successfully compiled and installed. Now kde-connect gives me some error loading qml file error, so I guess there is still something missing, but i will try to find that tomorrow. Right now I am just happy I got this far and i had a lot of fun figuring this out. Thank you for your help =)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SnowCat",

You are welcome.

Congrats on your success so far.

Are you able to actually use the new version, or is the "qml" message preventing that? Thanks for the link.

If you are more specific, on how you got this far, that would help others trying the same thing, for example: Did you get Qt5.6 from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) or elsewhere? What exactly did you add to the "/etc/profile" and why?

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best Regards...
SnowCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SnowCat »

No it doesn't work. Sadly I don't have time to keep trying right now. If I do and I find a way to make it work I will post detailed instructions. Right now it is installed but can't find certain classes, so it doesn't work at all it doesn't even connect to my mobile.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "SnowCat",

Perhaps this new link below can help from August 30, 2016

Caution: If you decide to use the instructions in this, and before installing this PPA, backup your system using a drive imaging backup program like "Clonezilla Live". This way if something goes wrong, you can restore. A week or so ago, I installed a Kubuntu PPA for something to test, I think it was for the new version of the great application Ardour, and I installed something else, an extra that was recommended, and it messed up my entire Linux Mint KDE 17.3 system.

Follow the instructions carefully.

How to Install KDE Connect 1.0 in (K)Ubuntu 16.04, August 30, 2016
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-16-04/

Tip or Suggestion: Anyone can use a PPA to install something that they really want or need, but if that PPA has a lot of other applications and or system software, you might consider disabling (unchecking) the PPA from the Software Sources in the Mint Update Manager after you install the application you are interested in, especially if that PPA is from another Linux system.

Hope this helps ...
SnowCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SnowCat »

Thank you =)
Works great except for the plugin "Execute remote commands". But works better than my version, which was still missing a lot apparently^^
Again thank you for your help

Return to “Newbie Questions”