KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
53ri41
Level 1
Level 1

KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by 53ri41 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:35 am

I’m trying to get a comfortable UI using a 55”TV as a monitor.
The large screen-size vs. Resolution causes KDE to assign 40 dpi, resulting in an (unusably small interface, unless standing AT the screen).
I am closer to achieving a comfortable couch-distance interface using font scaling (force-dpi), display-configuration scaling, icon scaling, and an xorg.conf edit (to force-dpi the login-screen).
The remaining issues are that catching edges to resize windows is difficult (as though i’ve got one pixel to catch), and the window headers seem like they are not scaled at all.

I understand that the OS is doing what it’s supposed to -maximize real-estate for regular desktop-monitor usage, but the HTPC goal is the opposite. (( see rant ))

How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?
Is there another way that I should be doing this?

Wares:
Mint 18 KDE Beta, 64bit
55” TV as monitor translates to ~40dpi,
Core 2 Quad, 2.6GHz; 8GB ram
NVidia GT 430 (GF108)

-Cyril
Last edited by 53ri41 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by Mute Ant » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:06 pm

This looks recent and relevant...
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasm ... ngelog.php
Oxygen: Remove min border size requirement on the sides, for tiny border size and above. Bottom side is kept at min 4 pixels.
I don't have a KDE running right this minute...I would use dconf-editor to start with and search for 'border' or 'oxygen' or 'tiny'. Or just try a different theme if it's Oxygen that's causing the trouble.

Raydog
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by Raydog » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:19 am

53ri41 wrote:
How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?
Is there another way that I should be doing this?

Have you tried: System Settings>Appearance>Application Style>Windows Decorations>Theme. At the lower right there is a drop down menu 'Border size'.

Note: Don't try to grab the thin border line, just grab in the border as soon as your pointer changes to "expand" symbol.
LinuxMint 18.2 Kde, MacBook 9,2 (Mid 2012).

53ri41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 53ri41 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:55 am

Raydog wrote: System Settings>Appearance>Application Style>Windows Decorations>Theme
At the lower right there is a drop down menu 'Border size'.

Note: Don't try to grab the thin border line, just grab in the border as soon as your pointer changes to "expand" symbol.
Thanks for the reply, Raydog.
I actually came back to update the thread, as I finally tripped over exactly what you mentioned here (just wish that I had checked back more regularly).
selecting a "large" border size, (then logging back into the session) gives the desired result, more border to grab for the window resize, resulting in a more forgiving interface.

-Cyril

Raydog
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by Raydog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:02 pm

You're welcome.

I'm a total noob at KDE so i'm glad I could help. There are a lot of settings in this DE, I just stumbled on to it trying to solve the exact problem.
LinuxMint 18.2 Kde, MacBook 9,2 (Mid 2012).

mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by mrodent » Fri May 25, 2018 2:36 am

Cinnamon 18.1 ... changed... there is no "Application Style" any more... but there is an "Appearance --> Themes". Anyone know where this border size can be changed? Maybe under usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-* ... ?

sevendogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sevendogs » Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 pm

KDE allows alt key + right mouse button resize without have to hunt for the window border/resize handle. In case you didn't feel like resizing the border :D
HP z800 2x6 core Xeon, 96 GB DDR3 5.5TB SSD, Evga 1050Ti 4GB, Mint 18.2 Cinnamon
"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrodent » Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes, thanks... got your answer in the new thread I started!

Return to “Newbie Questions”