KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
53ri41

KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by 53ri41 »

I’m trying to get a comfortable UI using a 55”TV as a monitor.
The large screen-size vs. Resolution causes KDE to assign 40 dpi, resulting in an (unusably small interface, unless standing AT the screen).
I am closer to achieving a comfortable couch-distance interface using font scaling (force-dpi), display-configuration scaling, icon scaling, and an xorg.conf edit (to force-dpi the login-screen).
The remaining issues are that catching edges to resize windows is difficult (as though i’ve got one pixel to catch), and the window headers seem like they are not scaled at all.

I understand that the OS is doing what it’s supposed to -maximize real-estate for regular desktop-monitor usage, but the HTPC goal is the opposite. (( see rant ))

How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?
Is there another way that I should be doing this?

Wares:
Mint 18 KDE Beta, 64bit
55” TV as monitor translates to ~40dpi,
Core 2 Quad, 2.6GHz; 8GB ram
NVidia GT 430 (GF108)

-Cyril
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by Mute Ant »

This looks recent and relevant...
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasm ... ngelog.php
Oxygen: Remove min border size requirement on the sides, for tiny border size and above. Bottom side is kept at min 4 pixels.
I don't have a KDE running right this minute...I would use dconf-editor to start with and search for 'border' or 'oxygen' or 'tiny'. Or just try a different theme if it's Oxygen that's causing the trouble.
Raydog

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by Raydog »

53ri41 wrote:
How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?
Is there another way that I should be doing this?

Have you tried: System Settings>Appearance>Application Style>Windows Decorations>Theme. At the lower right there is a drop down menu 'Border size'.

Note: Don't try to grab the thin border line, just grab in the border as soon as your pointer changes to "expand" symbol.
53ri41

Post by 53ri41 »

Raydog wrote: System Settings>Appearance>Application Style>Windows Decorations>Theme
At the lower right there is a drop down menu 'Border size'.

Note: Don't try to grab the thin border line, just grab in the border as soon as your pointer changes to "expand" symbol.
Thanks for the reply, Raydog.
I actually came back to update the thread, as I finally tripped over exactly what you mentioned here (just wish that I had checked back more regularly).
selecting a "large" border size, (then logging back into the session) gives the desired result, more border to grab for the window resize, resulting in a more forgiving interface.

-Cyril
Raydog

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by Raydog »

You're welcome.

I'm a total noob at KDE so i'm glad I could help. There are a lot of settings in this DE, I just stumbled on to it trying to solve the exact problem.
mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KDE: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows? [SOLVED]

Post by mrodent »

Cinnamon 18.1 ... changed... there is no "Application Style" any more... but there is an "Appearance --> Themes". Anyone know where this border size can be changed? Maybe under usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-* ... ?
Version: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana, 64-bit; Cinnamon 4.6.6; Machine: ASUSTek, PRIME Z270-A, Quad Core, Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]; total drive space: 5.5 TB (2 SSDs + 1 internal HD + 1 external HD);
UEFI dual boot w/ W10
sevendogs

Post by sevendogs »

KDE allows alt key + right mouse button resize without have to hunt for the window border/resize handle. In case you didn't feel like resizing the border :D
mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrodent »

Yes, thanks... got your answer in the new thread I started!
Version: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana, 64-bit; Cinnamon 4.6.6; Machine: ASUSTek, PRIME Z270-A, Quad Core, Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]; total drive space: 5.5 TB (2 SSDs + 1 internal HD + 1 external HD);
UEFI dual boot w/ W10

Return to “Beginner Questions”