Where are my favorite programs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
camor

Re: Where are my favorite programs?

Post by camor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:41 pm

I didn't know LibreOffice didn't have a thesaurus - mainly because I've never wanted one, but on reading this thread I found that I didn't have one either. Although I'm still using 17.3 Cinnamon, evidently the problem is still there in 18. It turns out that this is a longstanding situation, since there is a website discussing it in 2012 - ://www.asthttparix.co.uk/2012/06/proper-br ... ibreoffice
Anyone using UK English doesn't have a thesaurus unless they download and install it - the default thesaurus is only for those using US English.

Rosko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rosko » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:36 pm

bcripps wrote: Please keep throwing suggestion my way. ...
Again, thank you all,
Bry
Not sure whether you've actually said 'goodbye' to Mint yet or not but if you want to give something else a shot, here's what I did to get the Thesaurus working in LibreOffice.

Using LibreOffice Version: 5.1.4.2 in Mint 18/Xfce
Opened Synaptic and checked LibreOffice installation, had English(USA) Thesaurus installed but it didn't work. I live in Canada so figured I'd set something to 'English(Canada) along the way.

Next I went into Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages
and made these changes (if needed):

Under 'Language Of':
User interface: 'Default-English(USA) (it was already set to this)
Locale setting: 'English(USA) (was set to 'Default English(Canada) )

Under 'Default Languages for Documents':
Western: 'Default-English(USA) (was set to English(Canada) )

Now I have a working Thesaurus :D

atari800
Level 3
Level 3

Post by atari800 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Meh...he had a few issues.... as I said if an OS does cooperate with you and Windows does, why fight a new OS?
I am thinking he has as something polling his keyboard/mouse hard and screwing up a lot of functionality
Deja VU: When you get killed and restart your life at a saved point in time
Always research any suggestions given to you.
Admins: Please delete my inappropriate/destructive posts - you have my authorization

camor

Post by camor » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:11 am

Well I found the solution to that little problem anyway( the lack of a UK Thesaurus). Turns out it was sorted back in 2009 by a very helpful chap, which makes me wonder why LibreOffice haven't bothered to do something about it themselves;-
http://www.weeklywhinge.com/?p=69

Return to “Newbie Questions”