[SOLVED] Please HELP me create a Live USB Mint 18 MATE with persistence

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Please HELP me create a Live USB Mint 18 MATE with persistence

Post by bbaker6212 »

Guys I fought with this for a while. My latest attempt with Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce - it corrupted my SSD grub file even though I told the installer to install onto the USB drive. There is a bug there. Anyway, the short answer is to try Manjaro 17 Xfce. I think you will like it. It has a completely simple and fully automated installer, no jumping through hoops, and it runs like a champ in data persistent mode. It runs pretty fast on USB 3.0 8GB or larger.
Burn the ISO (use Unetbootin/Linux or Rufus/Windows) to any USB 2.0 drive then boot that up and install onto another USB 3.0 drive. Simply select the USB /dev/sdx device from the installer's "Select storage device" drop down menu and the "Erase disk" option (make sure this is not your HD/SSD drive!). It will automatically create a small boot partition on the USB drive as well as a swap partition if the drive is big enough (>8GB). --> https://youtu.be/QQ7hrPIaZ9o?t=366
Last edited by bbaker6212 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1 MX-Linux 18.1 Lenovo Ideapad G50-45 8GB
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

Below pic is what my 32GB USB drive looked like on Gparted after the Manjaro 17 install - and after I shrunk the swap partition from the 8GB partition the installer created...

[Edit:] FYI, word of warning... It works without issues installing onto an external USB drive, and does not touch your existing grub/partition config, but if you install it onto your HD/eMMC/SSD alongside Linux Mint it will not work by default, without jumping through some Grub re-config hoops. There is an incompatibility between the Grub config used by Mint and Manjaro. I got multiboot working with Win10/Mint18/Manjaro17 but it was a bit painful requiring chroot'ing and reinstall/updating grub. If you want multiboot to work with Manjaro installed you have to use the Grub provided by Manjaro, not the Linux Mint grub.
Below is what I did to get the multiboot working using the Manjaro grub on my system which has partitions
/dev/sda2 = EFI, /dev/sda4 = Win10, /dev/sda5 = Mint18, /dev/sda7 = Manjaro17
I did this while booted into Mint on SSD but you can do it booted from a Manjaro Live-USB as well.
Search for "mkinitcpio" on the Manjaro forums for further info.

Code: Select all

sudo su

fdisk -l

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1       2048   2050048   2048001  1000M Windows recovery environment
/dev/sda2    2050049   2582529    532481   260M EFI System
/dev/sda3    2582530   2844674    262145   128M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda4    2844675 259973066 257128392 122,6G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda5  259973120 833413119 573440000 273,4G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda6  962174976 976771071  14596096     7G Linux swap
/dev/sda7  833413120 962174975 128761856  61,4G Linux filesystem

mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt

mkinitcpio -P /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img 4.9.13-1-MANJARO x64

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

update-grub
Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15, Windows 10, Manjaro 18.03 Xfce k/4.19.24-1 MX-Linux 18.1 Lenovo Ideapad G50-45 8GB
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 WiFi

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Besides this thread and the one on Mintmate 17.3 I just installed Mintmate 18.1 on a PNY USB 3.0 drive. I partitioned it first using MM 18.1 on another flash drive creating a smaller FAT32 partition and a EXT4 for the rest of it. I used Multisystem to install MM 18.1 with persistence on the required FAT32 partition, deleted the casper-rw file and created a casper-rw partition. I never used Multisystem before so didn't know what to expect. Its menu that appears has two entries for MM 18.1 not sure if that's an error on my part or not with the first being the non-persistence version.

Persistence is working with the size of the EXT4 partition increasing in used size as apps are added so all seems fine.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

but you still probably have the 4GB of space required for the first casper-rw file stuck in the FAT32 partition, which would have been better if used in the EXT partition.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Spearmint2 wrote:but you still probably have the 4GB of space required for the first casper-rw file stuck in the FAT32 partition, which would have been better if used in the EXT partition.
I deleted the "casper-rw" file before creating the "casper-rw" EXT4 partition. Don't think that partition would be filling up is the "casper-rw" file was still there.

Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Please HELP me create a Live USB Mint 18 MATE with persistence

Post by Doruletz »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Doruletz wrote:
@Laurent85, THANKS a million.
The link you provided just solved my problem!
It was all in the editing the boot options, in order to force the "persistent" boot mode.
Works like a charm now, and I also went on and installed dconf-editor (since I'm using MATE), in order to be allowed to disable the automount of the "casper-rw" ext2 partition.
http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/07/quick-t ... 4-lts.html
So I guess I can go ahead mark my problem as solved...

Are you claiming a 64 bit EFI version of Linux Mint 17.3 or 18 now has a working
PARTITION as casper-rw? Did you delete the casper-rw FILE that is in the /cdrom area where the casper files are now? If you did, is it still gone, or was it replaced?
@Spearmint2:

I'm not claiming anything, Spearmint2.
And I also don't know anything about EFI versions, as I never had any use for them. I only use the good'ol Legacy BIOS versions.
REASON? In my opinion, the whole EFI/UEFI crap is yet another Micro$oft plot to prevent average PC users from installing and using any other OS besides the crap they sell.
Please read the thread. And if you wonder, YES the CASPER-RW and LIVE USB with Persistence does work in Mint 18 / 18.1, if you follow the steps provided.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...

Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Please HELP me create a Live USB Mint 18 MATE with persistence [SOLVED]

Post by Doruletz »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Doruletz wrote:
pcpunk wrote: Yes, but he was trying to create one with a larger amount of Persistence than the allowed amount of 4GB Set by FAT32 File system. None of the installers I know of will do this. USB has to be re-partitioned after the LiveSession install and new extfilesystem renamed as casper-rw.
This was already solved, and marked as [SOLVED] above, see this link. Read carefully and pay attention to the steps.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086
viewtopic.php?t=219126#p1166677
I don't understand why posts are still live, since this subject was already marked as [SOLVED] ???
You are both correct, and wrong. Your "solution" is well known for 32 bit versions, but doesn't work since 17.3 on the EFI 64 bit versions. In those you are limited to 4GB files instead of using a partition for casper-rw. If you wish to frustrate yourself a couple days as I did, try creating a 17.3 for EFI 64 bit with a second partition as ext2,3,4 and make it become a persistent partition "casper-rw" instead of using the file.

You can pickup on it in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=232412
As I already said in my other reply, I DON'T USE EFI versions. All works fine in the classic Legacy BIOS version, which is what I always used.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Mintmate 18.1 on a 8GB USB flash drive using Multisystem on a 64-bit legacy BIOS system.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

bbaker6212 wrote:Below pic is what my 32GB USB drive looked like on Gparted after the Manjaro 17 install - and after I shrunk the swap partition from the 8GB partition the installer created...

[Edit:] FYI, word of warning... It works without issues installing onto an external USB drive, and does not touch your existing grub/partition config, but if you install it onto your HD/eMMC/SSD alongside Linux Mint it will not work by default, without jumping through some Grub re-config hoops. There is an incompatibility between the Grub config used by Mint and Manjaro. I got multiboot working with Win10/Mint18/Manjaro17 but it was a bit painful requiring chroot'ing and reinstall/updating grub. If you want multiboot to work with Manjaro installed you have to use the Grub provided by Manjaro, not the Linux Mint grub.
Below is what I did to get the multiboot working using the Manjaro grub on my system which has partitions
/dev/sda2 = EFI, /dev/sda4 = Win10, /dev/sda5 = Mint18, /dev/sda7 = Manjaro17
I did this while booted into Mint on SSD but you can do it booted from a Manjaro Live-USB as well.
Search for "mkinitcpio" on the Manjaro forums for further info.

Code: Select all

sudo su

fdisk -l

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1       2048   2050048   2048001  1000M Windows recovery environment
/dev/sda2    2050049   2582529    532481   260M EFI System
/dev/sda3    2582530   2844674    262145   128M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda4    2844675 259973066 257128392 122,6G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda5  259973120 833413119 573440000 273,4G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda6  962174976 976771071  14596096     7G Linux swap
/dev/sda7  833413120 962174975 128761856  61,4G Linux filesystem

mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt

mkinitcpio -P /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img 4.9.13-1-MANJARO x64

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

update-grub
Wow. I would have saved so much time and grief the last couple of months if I'd seen your post. I have since found out about this mostly via Manjaro and Arch forums, but your post is well stated and concisely dictated for the solution. I have two EFI laptops and one older BIOS/MBR laptop, all of which have been plagued by Grub corruptions whenever a kernel update to Debian/Devuan/Mint/LMDE/Peppermint is applied. Generally makes the Manjaro partition invisible to the new Grub, or if visible, an attempted boot to Manjaro results in a kernel panic. Anyhow, I'm putting your post above into my personal FAQ list. Thanks again.
Last edited by curtvaughan on Sat May 20, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

An addendum - here's this topic (multi-boot GRUB issues between Arch/Manjaro and Debian/Ubuntu based distributions) in Manjaro forum land. It's rather a hot topic across all of these platforms.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/updated-ker ... jaro/13091

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

I was surprised, btw, to find a topic like this in the "Newbie Questions" section of the forum. Something as complex as GRUB configurations across multi-booted platforms, covering both EFI and MBR/BIOS hardware, seems a bit out of the newbie level. If I was brand new to Linux from Windows or Apple user land, this stuff would make me dizzy and long for my old - and expensive/intrusive/etc - comfort zones. An encouraging thing, in regard to topics like this, is that it is indicative of the fact that Linux as a desktop platform with many diverse flavors has come of age. Even five years ago I don't think topics like mutli-boot Grub corruption would have come up at all. Anyhoot, don't pollute. :)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

wptski wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:but you still probably have the 4GB of space required for the first casper-rw file stuck in the FAT32 partition, which would have been better if used in the EXT partition.
I deleted the "casper-rw" file before creating the "casper-rw" EXT4 partition. Don't think that partition would be filling up is the "casper-rw" file was still there.
Misunderstood. If you create the first capsper-rw file at the max of 4GB, then you still have that 4GB space left in the FAT partition, even after you delete thefile, instead of available for use in the newer casper-rw partition. When I set the casper-rw file for creating the LIVE version on USB flashdrive, I just have it created about 100 MB, since I want the other 3.9GB in the EXT2 partition, later named casper-rw.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Spearmint2 wrote:Misunderstood. If you create the first capsper-rw file at the max of 4GB, then you still have that 4GB space left in the FAT partition, even after you delete thefile, instead of available for use in the newer casper-rw partition. When I set the casper-rw file for creating the LIVE version on USB flashdrive, I just have it created about 100 MB, since I want the other 3.9GB in the EXT2 partition, later named casper-rw.
What does my GPART attachment show a couple of posts above?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

wptski wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:Misunderstood. If you create the first capsper-rw file at the max of 4GB, then you still have that 4GB space left in the FAT partition, even after you delete thefile, instead of available for use in the newer casper-rw partition. When I set the casper-rw file for creating the LIVE version on USB flashdrive, I just have it created about 100 MB, since I want the other 3.9GB in the EXT2 partition, later named casper-rw.
What does my GPART attachment show a couple of posts above?
My answer was to something previous, but good to see from the gparted image you didn't make the common mistake others do of creating the largest possible casper-rw file in the FAT partition and then not having that space available for use in the EXT2/4 partition. I personally use EXT2, non journaling for flashdrives.

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Spearmint2 wrote:My answer was to something previous, but good to see from the gparted image you didn't make the common mistake others do of creating the largest possible casper-rw file in the FAT partition and then not having that space available for use in the EXT2/4 partition. I personally use EXT2, non journaling for flashdrives.
Not really knowing, EXT4 was the default so I used it, IIRC. I did a search and found this comparison: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... /wiki/2290] I've since created the same on a 128GB flash drive, probably more room than I'll ever need.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

wptski wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:My answer was to something previous, but good to see from the gparted image you didn't make the common mistake others do of creating the largest possible casper-rw file in the FAT partition and then not having that space available for use in the EXT2/4 partition. I personally use EXT2, non journaling for flashdrives.
Not really knowing, EXT4 was the default so I used it, IIRC. I did a search and found this comparison: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter ... /wiki/2290] I've since created the same on a 128GB flash drive, probably more room than I'll ever need.
This better explains why I prefer EXT2 for flash.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/05/ext2-ext3-ext4

Ext2

Ext2 stands for second extended file system.
It was introduced in 1993. Developed by Rémy Card.
This was developed to overcome the limitation of the original ext file system.
Ext2 does not have journaling feature.
On flash drives, usb drives, ext2 is recommended, as it doesn’t need to do the over head of journaling.
Maximum individual file size can be from 16 GB to 2 TB
Overall ext2 file system size can be from 2 TB to 32 TB

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

Spearmint2 wrote:This better explains why I prefer EXT2 for flash.

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/05/ext2-ext3-ext4

Ext2

Ext2 stands for second extended file system.
It was introduced in 1993. Developed by Rémy Card.
This was developed to overcome the limitation of the original ext file system.
Ext2 does not have journaling feature.
On flash drives, usb drives, ext2 is recommended, as it doesn’t need to do the over head of journaling.
Maximum individual file size can be from 16 GB to 2 TB
Overall ext2 file system size can be from 2 TB to 32 TB
Another: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33552/h ... ou-choose/ which mentions " when in doubt(me), choose EXT4".

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

wptski wrote:Another: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33552/h ... ou-choose/ which mentions " when in doubt(me), choose EXT4".
That link also says:
File systems that don’t offer journaling are available for use on high-performance servers and other such systems where the administrator wants to squeeze out extra performance. They’re also ideal for removable flash drives, where you don’t want the higher overhead and additional writes of journaling.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

wptski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wptski »

austin.texas wrote:That link also says:
File systems that don’t offer journaling are available for use on high-performance servers and other such systems where the administrator wants to squeeze out extra performance. They’re also ideal for removable flash drives, where you don’t want the higher overhead and additional writes of journaling.
Yes it does but are there any benchmark tests showing much the gains would be? Have you run any tests, somehow or just going by these articles?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

you seem concerned more with speed, but with flash your concern should be same for "writes" since it's limited life and usually more limited space on flash, wears it out quicker than you would see on a hard drive. This is why journaling file system is discouraged on flash, not so much for speed considerations.

Return to “Newbie Questions”