What's the current thinking on online (cloud) backup?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pastcal
Level 3
Level 3

What's the current thinking on online (cloud) backup?

Post by Pastcal »

I've tried Dropbox and Mega, but I thought I'd pick the community brains. So, what to try and what to avoid please.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: What's the current thinking on online (cloud) backup?

Post by Pjotr »

Google Drive rules! :mrgreen:

As with all cloud storage: don't store anything that might damage you when in the wrong hands. Just music, family pictures, holiday pictures etc. No compromising or embarrassing pictures, sensitive documents, password lists, income data and the like.

Remember: there is no cloud. There's only someone else's computer.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

If it is not your computer, you have no control. If you have no control, you cannot say, what happens with your data. :arrow: Avoid any of them, except for data, which you want to publish for the public.

Pastcal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pastcal »

The Mega system seems to encrypt the files on my computer before uploading. It's also very generous with its 'free' tier.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Pastcal wrote:The Mega system seems to encrypt the files on my computer before uploading.
Anything that's encrypted, can be decrypted. Be wise and treat your uploaded files as if they were fully unencrypted.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Pjotr wrote:Anything that's encrypted, can be decrypted. Be wise and treat your uploaded files as if they were fully unencrypted.
To enhance that:
Encrypted files cannot be decrypted by third parties, which download them. But the service provider most likely can and if the server is placed in the USA the US government can force them to do this (or they probably can do it themselves).

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

Dropbox 'lost' 60 million sets of user data. Mega was, in my opinion, ok for storing or sharing as long as it belonged to Kim and of course only as far as you
don't store anything that might damage you.
It has since been bought by a Hong Kong-based group. Who are they? Kim's adversaries surely must have an interest to take a peek; who could resist if the offer is right?

The most dodgy backup solution, again purely in my opinion, is NAS. Synology can not be trusted; much too convenient with their web-based 'find my disk-station' app, hopeless and irresponsible in their dealings with locking malware.

Go offline, back-up your system to an external drive or a NAS that runs on open-source OS and take it off your home network before you go back online again.
Remember: there is no cloud. There's only someone else's computer.
That pretty much nails it.
Last edited by prestonR on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

encypt before sending.

nuff said.

Preston is correct. Fsck the "cloud" and get your own.
NAS/USB
USBs are cheaper than a Starbuck's Coffee.

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

I've use dropbox, owncloud , Google Drive, and others. all have worked well for me. But as Pjotr has said never ever upload sensitive material that you would not want disclosed.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot »

im currently building an off-site cold data storage instead of using spideroak. i dont trust any cloud service including browser clouds that save your passwords or bookmarks.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Cosmo. wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Anything that's encrypted, can be decrypted. Be wise and treat your uploaded files as if they were fully unencrypted.
To enhance that:
Encrypted files cannot be decrypted by third parties, which download them. But the service provider most likely can and if the server is placed in the USA the US government can force them to do this (or they probably can do it themselves).
the general rule is to *not* use any company that is based in the USA.

as mentioned : "it's just someone else's computer" - - it's not rocket science.

buy a portable HDD & place it on the desk, right next to your machine,
- - much, much safer - - far more secure.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

jbl357
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbl357 »

why use any of those services when theres usb storage???

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Pastcal",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are some really great "cloud" providers available to use now for various things, as was already stated, like Google Drive (great), pCloud (awesome), Mega.nz (great), Dropbox (once they fix their current security issue), etc...

But, I would not store anything on any of them that is supposed to be private to you, or sensitive, or secret, that could hurt you and or others, regardless if they have encrypted communications. One Caveat (unless), if you securely encrypt your folders, files, etc... before sending them to a cloud storage provider using a unique key and password that no other provider knows.

Personally, using a local backup source, like an external hard drive(s), is way better, faster, more secure, than using a Internet cloud solution. I have not understood how people or businesses can effectively use a cloud storage for drive backup because of the speed factor; you are going through the Internet to backup gigabytes, perhaps hundreds of gigabytes of data, or more?? Backing up locally this would not be a problem, but through the Internet where this could take days? But, that's just me.

I prefer to have all my data stored with me, even though I love and use the cloud services for various other reasons, mostly for personal backup (pictures, music, video, some documents, etc...), and for sharing links for those things with family & friends, and some for sharing Linux Mint forum links to hard to find software applications (drivers and such), some for sharing non-sensitive data for applications that I use when booting to another edition of Linux Mint (usually to help others in this forum), on the road travelling using a portable USB flash drive stick of Linux Mint, or some other portable device, or another OS, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

SpiderOak is ok:

https://spideroak.com/

They're "Zero Knowledge." IOW, they don't have the key to decrypt your files. Only you do.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

Taskman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taskman »

All of them are "ok" but don't put things on a cloud that you are afraid can hurt you in any way.

If you want to be secure then encrypt everything with a password that is hard to crack before you upload it even.
But still everything is only as safe as the weakest link.
Forum Rules | How to get help
ASUS UX360CA Core M 6Y75 8GB/512GB- Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!"

Acewiza
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Acewiza »

Google Drive, et al, is a nice tertiary repository for small stuff when I'm on the road without access to the main system(s) for whatever reason, but it is not trusted. The trick is keeping it sync'd with the "primary" data sets. It's just another storage resource after getting that sussed. The Vendor's "trick" as t'were, is to get you to believe you need it and pay for more.

eddier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eddier »

Cloud? Money vacuum. Just buy another HDD to use for Data Backup only.Either a stand alone job or internal - be your own Cloud.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

One of the early Cloud services, it still works exactly as advertised...
http://www.supersimplestorageservice.com/
Our market research indicates the average customer reads data FOUR TIMES more often than writing. By not only reducing but eliminating entirely these spurious operations we can provide blazingly fast writes with a near 100% success rate. Imagine the convenience of enabling your customers to open help tickets, provide feedback, add feature requests directly to your shared, read-proof store.
Key Scenarios
Customer Complaint Database
Feature Request Database
Unpublished Manuscripts
Covert Document Storage
Personal TODO Lists
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

vadimoah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vadimoah »

Dropbox is a safe bet, but I would suggest giving iDrive or Crashplan a shot, they are both good for SMBs.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I make a big distinction between online SYNC and online BACKUP. Services that can be casually accessed by shared accounts or the user personally - like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive - are SYNC. They're extremely handy for keeping files readily updated and accessible in multiple devices, but they are not secure BACKUP, which does not automatically access or change files without an intentional login.

Contrary to popular opinion, the main danger of mixing these things up is not failure by the service provider or nefarious evil genius hackers, it's ordinary stupid human error - mistaken changes or mistaken deletions - by those who are perfectly entitled to access and edit.

I personally use online SYNC very happily across multiple PCs and Android devices, and use different account for sharing or not sharing with specific other people. As far as BACKUP goes, I use a couple of multi-terabyte hard drives monthly using SyncBack in Windows (happen to be familiar with it, there are good Linux alternatives) and that includes backing up the local directories from the online SYNC services to those hard drives.

Finally, independent encryption is a must-do - I keep online SYNC of personal data to a useful minimum BUT I don't trust the online services as far as I can grab their collars and throw them - to protect personal data. For the time being I'm using BoxCryptor Classic on Windows and Android, which is perfectly compatible with Gnome ENCFS Manager in Mint. Obviously, those nefarious genius hackers of Anonymous or the NSA are able to crack that, but the ordinary pimply little jerk who gets access to an online SYNC service is all I'm really worried about.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M19.1 XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Lenovo desktop). All 32 bit Windows systems are running 64 bit Mint.

Return to “Newbie Questions”