Servers for networks own cloud ... always on?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Servers for networks own cloud ... always on?

Post by cecilieaux »

Do I have to have a computer I always keep running in order to have a server, say in Samba, NFS, Own Cloud and similar networky setups?

I know ... this is the newbiest of newbie questions. Please be kind.

Cecilieaux
Last edited by cecilieaux on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 Ulyssa with Cinnamon DE
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Servers, networks, own cloud, oh my!

Post by WharfRat »

cecilieaux wrote:Do I have to have a computer I always keep running in order to have a server, say in Samba, NFS, Own Cloud and similar networky setups?

I know ... this is the newbiest of newbie questions. Please be kind.

Cecilieaux
What is your intent for this server :?:

If it's just for intranet access then turn it off and on at will.

If you're running a web service or require 24/7 internet access then you might be better served with a hosting service like http://www.inmotionhosting.com/
ImageImage
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Servers, networks, own cloud, oh my!

Post by cecilieaux »

WharfRat wrote:What is your intent for this server? If it's just for intranet access then turn it off and on at will.
Yeah, just an home LAN of sorts.

What about with Network Attached Storage or OwnCloud? Do these require me to have an always-on server of NAS unit? I hate the waste of electricity.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 Ulyssa with Cinnamon DE
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Servers for networks own cloud ... always on?

Post by trapperjohn »

Owncloud has a sync client (that runs on the client computers). If setup to sync a given client folder with a folder on the server, the sync will occur when the server is up, otherwise it will wait.
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

Hi,

have just posted this viewtopic.php?f=90&t=229494 regarding setting up a backup over internet.

Interested in the comment about OwnCloud.... is this simpler/cheaper/better than rsync with crontab?

Rgds, Tony
trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,
rsync (over ssh) is a good syncing/backup approach and, for that purpose alone, it's better and faster.

The Owncloud model reaches beyond backup/syncing, providing an interface for file sharing. It also has the usual features of a cloud file interface in a browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) such as: click-to-view photos and documents, user account management, file sharing settings, handy stuff like a calendar, etc. It's rock bottom cheap (free like beer and opensource). It cooperates well in a mixed-platform ecosystem (Windows, Apple, Android, essentially anyone with a browser can use it). Syncing with the Owncloud-client is hand's free. Bulk downloading from the browser interface sucks a bit.

It is not nearly as simple as rsync to setup and configure properly and certain system updates need to be performed surgically or owncloud breaks.

Give it a look in a VM.

Return to “Newbie Questions”