If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
interestingnum1

Re: If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall

Post by interestingnum1 »

Do you still recommend checkinstall? It has not been updated in a long time...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

interestingnum1 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:50 pm Do you still recommend checkinstall? It has not been updated in a long time...
I would still use it. It's a program that runs 'make install' for you, tracking every file modified by that command and then builds a .deb package for you from that. It's mostly a shell script using standard tools and utilities that haven't changed much past few years.
Md Foysal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Md Foysal »

All this frustration and the info was right here.
Md Foysal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Md Foysal »

I benefited from each
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Hi

Do you mean that this program is able to backup our applications as a deb package to be able to re-install them, in the case when we cannot find the deb file in the /var/cache/apt/archives folder ? But if yes I never see any tutorial for this
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
jhonny777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jhonny777 »

This is really helpful specially for me, Thanks a lot.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

I've used checkinstall a few times successfully with zero issues. I used it for mednafen compiled from source, and it was fine.

The last time I used it though I encountered an issue similar to the one described here:
https://github.com/giuliomoro/checkinstall/issues/4

In my case it failed part way through and from that point nothing worked. I couldn't open applications, I couldn't run any commands. E.g. ls would return that the command didn't exist.

I couldn't do anything. I tried to restart the PC, but it couldn't even get through the commands involved in the restart so I had to power off. Starting it back up led to a kernel panic during boot. So running checkinstall for me actually destroyed my system as far as I could tell.

Luckily, I was able to restore my timeshift backup in no time at all and all is back to normal. I bet most people can go their entire lives without getting this issue, but clearly some people have, so I thought it was worth noting my experience.
hagensieker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hagensieker »

I ran into this the other day. The apt-get install line to compile and install drivers for an RTL-SDR Version 4 didn't include build-essential.

Cmake command didn't go very well. :D

I realized pretty quick I needed build-essential.

Good advice.........thank you!
Jaguar07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jaguar07 »

This is a wonderful tip. Thank you so much!

Return to “Beginner Questions”