If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall

Post by xenopeek »

For compiling to work build-essential must be installed. Install it from Software Manager or with apt install build-essential.

Most compilation instructions will say to run the command sudo make install to install the software after compiling. You should instead use the command sudo checkinstall. That does the same thing but will make the software and its files known to your package managers (e.g. Software Manager and apt ) so that you can easily remove the software or replace it with a newer version. For this you will first have to install checkinstall. Install it from Software Manager or with the command: apt install checkinstall.

(Edit: if you want to recompile a package installed from the Linux Mint repositories—for example to apply a patch you need—see the How to recompile a package from source topic instead.)
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: If you compile - remember build-essential and checkinstall

Post by Lucap »

Sounds like it should make life easier. :)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Good tip! Thank you. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
grundblom

Post by grundblom »

I find I have to have the build-essential group package before I can get the Virtualbox additions to install correctly.
Thanks for the tip!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

glen_il wrote:I find I have to have the build-essential group package before I can get the Virtualbox additions to install correctly.
I have never seen this in countless numbers of virtual machines, that I build. What you need is dkms, but that comes pre-installed on every Mint installation.
grundblom

Post by grundblom »

Cosmo, thank you for that information. I have been doing that with Mint and Ubuntu VMS but now I can see that it was not necessary.
Thanks for the tip, I did not know about dkms yet and learning more about it.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Wow.
All this frustration and the info was right here.
"Checkinstall" !!!

Thank you.
SGreen

Post by SGreen »

Indeed another thank you from my end, just in time to avoid the limitation
digitography
Level 1
Level 1

Post by digitography »

checkinstall

Command not found!
Mint 18.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You failed your reading test.
xenopeek wrote:For this you will first have to install checkinstall. Install it from Software Manager or with the command: apt install checkinstall.
digitography
Level 1
Level 1

Post by digitography »

Should have gone to Specsavers.
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi xenopeek!

I was about to upgrade my dangerous newb status and give this tutorial a try on my daily driver (LM19.1 beta Cinnamon 4.0.6, laptop). Is there any (other) precautions or considerations in doing this? (e.g. changes to system that may be undesirable for "production" machine that I need be aware of).

Also, this particular build from source project (streamtuner2) I am looking at completing is bascially for a patched file that is a fix by dev but not in the repos yet.

I see your other tutorial How to recompile package from source and understand this scenario fits more under that heading, however I wanted to build entire project from latest source (which includes other fixes besides the one truly problematic file). Am I reading this correctly and it would be better to use this tutorial than recompile tutorial?

Thanks!
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed wrong link
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As Mario suggests on your Sourceforge discussion, you should compile streamtuner2 from source. You can do that with this tutorial so you can also uninstall / upgrade it easily. The "How to recompile package from source" tutorial is indeed only useful if you have a patch you want to apply to the version from the repository—not when you want a new upstream version.

As no other programs or OS components depend on streamtuner2 you should have no worries to give this a try. Just use "sudo checkinstall" instead of "make install".
redlined

Post by redlined »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 am As Mario suggests on your Sourceforge discussion, you should compile streamtuner2 from source. You can do that with this tutorial so you can also uninstall / upgrade it easily. The "How to recompile package from source" tutorial is indeed only useful if you have a patch you want to apply to the version from the repository—not when you want a new upstream version.

As no other programs or OS components depend on streamtuner2 you should have no worries to give this a try. Just use "sudo checkinstall" instead of "make install".
Thank you for confirming! I did run sudo checkinstall late last night and now have my own latest version installed. It was really a learning event as Mario did refresh the packages he has up at sourceforge. Very cool, thank you for putting up this guide and the other for recompile! I always thought this one was tempting, like a carrot on stick pinned in newbie section and all as it is, finally stretched out and took a bite :mrgreen:
Glitched

Post by Glitched »

That's Awesome, what a great tip! Why is Check Install not installed by default? Seems like a great tool for us newbs (especially me). That's the biggest reason I had to go through the headache of learning all the ins and outs of timeshift.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Glitched wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 am That's Awesome, what a great tip! Why is Check Install not installed by default? Seems like a great tool for us newbs (especially me). That's the biggest reason I had to go through the headache of learning all the ins and outs of timeshift.
You're likely misunderstanding. In your other thread you said you only installed software via Software Manager and Package Manager, which means nothing you did has got anything to do with the thread right here.
Glitched

Post by Glitched »

gm10 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:07 am
Glitched wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 am That's Awesome, what a great tip! Why is Check Install not installed by default? Seems like a great tool for us newbs (especially me). That's the biggest reason I had to go through the headache of learning all the ins and outs of timeshift.
You're likely misunderstanding. In your other thread you said you only installed software via Software Manager and Package Manager, which means nothing you did has got anything to do with the thread right here.
I'm not misunderstanding. I've done a few terminal mk installs in the past. Which weren't right for my setup. I wasn't able to cleanly uninstall them bc I don't know enough about linux. That is why I mention the tool for removing orphaned libs in my other thread. Which is what has led me to doing multiple reinstalls of Mint (for peace of mind), which in turn is why I started the whole Timeshift thread. I have since stuck with only the built in software manager and package manager.
Enma Meito

Post by Enma Meito »

Solid advice. If I'm working with C++ and ROOT are there any recommendations that could make my life easier for coding?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Enma Meito wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:16 am are there any recommendations that could make my life easier for coding?
You'll get a lot more eyeballs if you start a new thread for that question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
aaronrv

Post by aaronrv »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 am For compiling to work build-essential must be installed. Install it from Software Manager or with apt install build-essential.

Most compilation instructions will say to run the command sudo make install to install the software after compiling. You should instead use the command sudo checkinstall. That does the same thing but will make the software and its files known to your package managers (e.g. Software Manager and apt ) so that you can easily remove the software or replace it with a newer version. For this you will first have to install checkinstall. Install it from Software Manager or with the command: apt install checkinstall.

(Edit: if you want to recompile a package installed from the Linux Mint repositories—for example to apply a patch you need—see the How to recompile a package from source topic instead.)
Thanks xenopeek!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”