Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi,

I have booted into livecd with usb installer for mint made using universal usb installer. While i attempt to install mint permanently on pc, after selecting language and pressing next button, below error showed up. I am a new user to linux and unable to find out what exactly went wrong. Really appreciate you guys help .

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/kde_ui.py", line 496, in <lambda>
    0, lambda: self.dbfilter.start(auto_process=True))
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 103, in start
    prep = self.prepare()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py", line 377, in prepare
    self.setup_sufficient_space()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py", line 394, in setup_sufficient_space
    free = self.free_space()
  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py", line 410, in free_space
    if device and int(device.split('\t')[1]) > biggest:
IndexError: list index out of range


Please help.

Other information about pc. Its a hp amd laptop and have windows 10 installed already on a 320gb hdd with atleast 75gb freespace

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Your USB might be defective or not created well. Can you try it on a different computer?
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot for for reply and let me try this in another computer. Furthermore, i have faced similar issues with ubuntu too

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:14 am

austin.texas wrote:Your USB might be defective or not created well. Can you try it on a different computer?


I have tried it on two different laptops, Its working fine on other laptops and only i am facing this issue. Also, i tried by creating a 30GB unformatted partition for linuxmint but it didn't work. Then i tried opening Gparted to see partition details and it crashes while starting and shows libparted bug. I guess there is something wrong with hard drive

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 am

stylish doggy wrote:I guess there is something wrong with hard drive
It does not sound like a problem with the hard drive - it sounds like a problem with the usb drive. Can you try a different usb port?
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:28 am

austin.texas wrote:
stylish doggy wrote:I guess there is something wrong with hard drive
It does not sound like a problem with the hard drive - it sounds like a problem with the usb drive. Can you try a different usb port?


Yes, Tried it already. Didn't work and let me try with a different usb drive. I hope it works atleaset!

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:31 am

Is that a USB 3.0 flash drive?
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:48 am

austin.texas wrote:
stylish doggy wrote:I guess there is something wrong with hard drive
It does not sound like a problem with the hard drive - it sounds like a problem with the usb drive. Can you try a different usb port?


Thanks much for your replies. I tried it with another usb drive and unfortunately for me it didn't work. Now i am thinking of ditching dual boot and installing with wubi alongside of windows 10. Am i gonna lose some functionalities if i install alongside windows?

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:50 am

austin.texas wrote:Is that a USB 3.0 flash drive?


Yes, Both the pen drives are USB 3.0 16GB ones. And my laptop has USB 2.0 Ports.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 am

stylish doggy wrote: Now i am thinking of ditching dual boot and installing with wubi alongside of windows 10. Am i gonna lose some functionalities if i install alongside windows?
I don't know much about Windows, but I believe I heard that "wubi" is dead.
Unetbootin works. You can even do a "frugal install" where you use Unetbootin to boot the .iso file while it is still on your hard drive.
Frugal install:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p847222
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

The first thing I would try is the SuperGrub2 CD, because I know that works - I just used it this morning.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org
Download the .iso and burn it to a CD
Connect a usb flash drive with fat32 format, and make a folder named boot-isos. The exact name boot-isos is important.
Copy the Mint .iso file that you downloaded into the boot-isos folder on the flash drive.
Boot the computer with the SuperGrub2 CD.
Chose "Boot Manually" from the first menu, then ""Bootable iso's".
The program will search all of your drives, looking for any boot-isos folder. It will find the Mint .iso file on the flash drive, and create a menu which will allow you to boot the .iso, just like booting a DVD.
It is a slow process to search your drives and build that menu, so be patient.

Tutorial and Troubleshooting with SuperGRUB2:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SuperGRUB2Disk
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Boot_Problems
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:13 am

Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am

stylish doggy wrote:Yes, Both the pen drives are USB 3.0 16GB ones. And my laptop has USB 2.0 Ports.
I have had unreliable results when using a 3.0 drive on a 2.0 port.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:52 pm

austin.texas wrote:
stylish doggy wrote: Now i am thinking of ditching dual boot and installing with wubi alongside of windows 10. Am i gonna lose some functionalities if i install alongside windows?
I don't know much about Windows, but I believe I heard that "wubi" is dead.
Unetbootin works. You can even do a "frugal install" where you use Unetbootin to boot the .iso file while it is still on your hard drive.
Frugal install:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p847222
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

The first thing I would try is the SuperGrub2 CD, because I know that works - I just used it this morning.
http://www.supergrubdisk.org
Download the .iso and burn it to a CD
Connect a usb flash drive with fat32 format, and make a folder named boot-isos. The exact name boot-isos is important.
Copy the Mint .iso file that you downloaded into the boot-isos folder on the flash drive.
Boot the computer with the SuperGrub2 CD.
Chose "Boot Manually" from the first menu, then ""Bootable iso's".
The program will search all of your drives, looking for any boot-isos folder. It will find the Mint .iso file on the flash drive, and create a menu which will allow you to boot the .iso, just like booting a DVD.
It is a slow process to search your drives and build that menu, so be patient.

Tutorial and Troubleshooting with SuperGRUB2:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SuperGRUB2Disk
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Boot_Problems


Thanks a lot bro, really appreciate your help. Finally booted into linux mint using frugal method and also going to try supergrub installation method.

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 pm



Thanks but mine is BIOS, anyway am going to find out installation method for my firmware if supergrub method fails.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:38 am

A tip on using the SuperGrub2 CD - you can put more than one Mint .iso file in the boot-isos folder on the flash drive - as many as the drive will hold. If you want to take a look at Mint KDE, and Cinnamon, and Mate, put all 3 .iso files on the flash drive, and the menu created will list all of them.
Another very cool feature of the SuperGrub2 CD is that you can boot any installed OS on your hard drive - even if your boot menu on the hard drive is trashed.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:24 am

austin.texas wrote:A tip on using the SuperGrub2 CD - you can put more than one Mint .iso file in the boot-isos folder on the flash drive - as many as the drive will hold. If you want to take a look at Mint KDE, and Cinnamon, and Mate, put all 3 .iso files on the flash drive, and the menu created will list all of them.
Another very cool feature of the SuperGrub2 CD is that you can boot any installed OS on your hard drive - even if your boot menu on the hard drive is trashed.


This means i can use as SuperGrub as recovery disc if i screw up something. By the way as i do not have any idea about difference between KDE, Mate and Cinnamon. So i am going through forum to find key features and differences.

Furthermore, i tried installing mint through both ways frugal and supergrub but installation failed stating the same error. Hence, i have no choice but stick to livecd mint in frugal install by giving 5GB for saving settings and apps.

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:29 am

stylish doggy wrote:i tried installing mint through both ways frugal and supergrub but installation failed stating the same error. Hence, i have no choice but stick to livecd mint in frugal install by giving 5GB for saving settings and apps.
Do you mean the same error as in your first post?

Code: Select all

  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/kde_ui.py",
etc..
:?:

That really sounds like a bad download (.iso) to me.
LINUX:
How to verify ISO images :arrow: https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
Then, there is my modification of that process :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228428
WINDOWS:
How to verify Mint .iso's in Windows :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=226678
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:57 am

austin.texas wrote:
stylish doggy wrote:i tried installing mint through both ways frugal and supergrub but installation failed stating the same error. Hence, i have no choice but stick to livecd mint in frugal install by giving 5GB for saving settings and apps.
Do you mean the same error as in your first post?

Code: Select all

  File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/kde_ui.py",
etc..
:?:

That really sounds like a bad download (.iso) to me.
LINUX:
How to verify ISO images :arrow: https://linuxmint.com/verify.php
Then, there is my modification of that process :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=228428
WINDOWS:
How to verify Mint .iso's in Windows :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=226678


Yes, the same error. Followed link and verified sha256 sum and its fine.

Linux mint website : 87d834c13fb3e03a9c1111a9f3cec50a65c05d36247bfb6c36442c2d8a2b2484 *linuxmint-18-kde-64bit.iso
Iso key: 87d834c13fb3e03a9c1111a9f3cec50a65c05d36247bfb6c36442c2d8a2b2484

Shall i try reinstall windows and try repartition HDD?

User avatar
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11033
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: at /home

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby austin.texas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 am

You system information might provide a clue.
Please post the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz


What I would do is try Mate instead of KDE, before anything else.
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

Linux Linx 2017

stylish doggy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Help - unable to install linux mint 18 KDE

Postby stylish doggy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 am

austin.texas wrote:You system information might provide a clue.
Please post the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz


What I would do is try Mate instead of KDE, before anything else.


Below is the output i got for command:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.5 (Qt 5.5.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3564 v: 21.43
           Bios: Insyde v: F.62 date: 12/14/2012
CPU:       Dual core AMD A4-3330MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 8784
           clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 1700 MHz 2: 1500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sumo [Radeon HD 6480G]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.07hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Atheros AR9271 802.11n usb-ID: 001-002
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (16.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9320325AS size: 320.1GB temp: 42C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.7G used: 78M (5%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 46.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 954.6/3425.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35


I am downloading MATE and going to give it a try.


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mr_raider and 5 guests