transfer to another pc

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
smudge64
Level 1
Level 1

transfer to another pc

Post by smudge64 »

I am getting a second hand quad core pc on tuesday..how do I transfer all the stuff on my current pc to the new one please in simple terms as it would be nice rather than have to reinstall everything

The new one will come with windows 7 on which I will get rid of immediately and install mint cinammon..64 bit which I have just downloaded onto a disc and a usb too just in case

I have a seagate 1tb external drive to use to put stuff from the old pc on if thats the way you can do it
smudge64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: transfer to another pc

Post by smudge64 »

Thanks for the link will have a look at that..if I am going from a 32 bit to a 64 bit perhaps it wont work or wont be compatible
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: transfer to another pc

Post by Tomgin5 »

I think it would depend on what you want to save. Documents, pictures, videos, can be copied from 32 to 64 bit systems. Addresses for e-mails not so easily. CAD files *.dxf, *.dwg ETC...can be saved and run in Wine through Autocad or? if they were Windows based.
The newer LM installs have so many options for the environment it is nearly impossible to not make a connection in an upgrade. 99+% of everything I have been doing aside from rebuilding desktops and laptops for recreation this year ( I am retired at 72) has been mostly point and click.
With backups on Flash USB, or CD/DVD or USB terabyte drives, If you don't like the install, wipe it and do it again. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”