Mint on 16 gb ssd?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chiyo
Level 1
Level 1

Mint on 16 gb ssd?

Post by chiyo »

Hello,

I am replacing my failed hdd and I am thinking of installing mint on my 16 gb ssd instead of the 1 tb hdd when it comes. I used to use the ssd for caching.

Has anyone installed mint on such a drive? Or, would anyone recommend it? I'm seeing conflicting info regarding this being a healthy amount of space. Drive was purchased in 2012 or 2013.

Thanks for reading!

-Chiyo
ColonelPanic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint on 16 gb ssd?

Post by ColonelPanic »

16gb will work fine. Put your swap partition on the 1TB drive.
And check out the SSD tips here: SSD: how to optimize your Solid State Drive for Linux Mint 18, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian
currently installed - LM 18 Cinnamon
chiyo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint on 16 gb ssd?

Post by chiyo »

Thank you! I ended up installing the OS (Mint 18 KDE) to a new 500gb ssd (it was a surprise present.... when I wrote this question I intented to buy a 2 TB spinner) instead of the old msata one, but your information is still very useful because I think I will put Arch on that 16gb msata ssd.

Outside of my previous set up with the 1tb spinner the msata drive seems kind of "lost" since there's no reason to use it as a cache anymore. But using it to house an OS puts it to good use under this set up as well.

Thanks for the website, too. I was actually already referring to that page but I wanted some kind of confirmation that it was good advice, so I appreciate you linking to it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”