[SOLVED]what is the Mint equivalent of windows 'Task Manager' (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED]what is the Mint equivalent of windows 'Task Manager' (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)?

Post by ZakGordon »

Do we have one? I ask as i was running two browsers the other day and one froze so bad it stuck the whole PC and i had to close both browsers down (losing the pages i had been viewing) to solve it.

In windows i would have done the Ctrl+Alt+Delete thing to bring up Windows task manager and used that to navigate to the individual process that had frozen the PC and just shut that down (one browser rather than both). So my question is do we have that kind of detailed error fixing tool in Mint for closing stuck/frozen/bugged individual running processes and if so how to get to that info on a 'stuck' pc?
Last edited by ZakGordon on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: what is the Mint equivalent of windows 'Task Manager' (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)?

Post by Pjotr »

For forcibly closing graphical applications: launch a terminal, type xkill, press Enter and kill the bastard by clicking on it. :mrgreen:

Click on the image to enlarge it:

Tip: change xkill's "kill cursor" back to the original skull and bones:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... irate-icon
(item 5.1, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

At least in Mint 17 Cinnamon, there is System Monitor. (Click Menu, Administration, System Monitor) I assume the same thing or something very much like it is available in the other Mint versions. I used to have Firefox freeze up on me now and then, and to kill it, I entered Alt-F2 to bring up a command window, then entered killall firefox. Or I went to one of the virtual terminals with Ctrl-Alt-[F1 - F6] and used killall from there.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Kilwillie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kilwillie »

System Monitor in GNOME and Cinnamon, MATE System Monitor in MATE, KSysGuard in KDE, and Task Manager in XFCE.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Pjotr wrote:Tip: change xkill's "kill cursor" back to the original skull and bones:
(item 5.1, left column)
That is great! Thanks.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

To make it even easier:
Go to Menu > System Settings > Keyboard.
Under the "Keyboard shortcuts" tab, click the "Add custom shortcut" button.
Enter xkill to both the Name and Command boxes and click the Add button.
Click on the unassigned row (unassigned is then changed to New accelerator... or Pick an accelerator).
Press a new key combination, such as Ctrl+Alt-x.
Now, to kill a program, you can press Ctrl+Alt-x and click on the program... gone in 2 seconds :D
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mwbworld »

Pjotr wrote: Click on the image to enlarge it:

Tip: change xkill's "kill cursor" back to the original skull and bones:
(item 5.1, left column)
Both are brilliant!
- Michael
mwbworld
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mwbworld »

austin.texas wrote:To make it even easier:
Go to Menu > System Settings > Keyboard.
Under the "Keyboard shortcuts" tab, click the "Add custom shortcut" button.
Enter xkill to both the Name and Command boxes and click the Add button.
Click on the unassigned row (unassigned is then changed to New accelerator... or Pick an accelerator).
Press a new key combination, such as Ctrl+Alt-x.
Now, to kill a program, you can press Ctrl+Alt-x and click on the program... gone in 2 seconds :D
Excellent. Quick and simple! I'm so setting that up this weekend.
- Michael
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Hey :) Thanks very much guys, very very handy, and the cartoon was a hoot too.

I've added a shortcut to System Monitor to appear on the panel and will have a go at setting up the Ctrl+Alt+Delete command for xkill (some windows habits take a long time to die!).

After i had posted and logged out, i realized i had not given the basic info (like what version i was using (Cinnamon 17.1) etc!) to help with answers. I'm still such a newbie, a very happy Mint using newbie (eternal thanks to Windows 10 for being what it is to force me onto Mint!) :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED]what is the Mint equivalent of windows 'Task Manager' (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)?

Post by Spearmint2 »

and i had to close both browsers down (losing the pages i had been viewing)
You can check in History and in FF can get option to reopen previous tabs that were open.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED]what is the Mint equivalent of windows 'Task Manager' (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)?

Post by Petermint »

Interesting cartoon. My experience is the opposite. Windows C+A+D works most of the time in the versions of Windows I use. The Linux equivalents fail most of the time. It appears that the GUI takes down the keyboard.

In Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, CAD brings up switch user. If I have Linux System Monitor running, it locks up along with everything else. The command line window also locks up, eliminating killall and other options. Some of the other recommended keyboard sequences also fail. Alt-F2 is the one I will test next as the lockup is reproducible. Image Viewer!
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

Do you mean something like Gnome-System-Monitor?
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Do you mean something like Gnome-System-Monitor?
Administrator -> System Monitor supplied in LM 18.3.

I tested Alt-F2 and it did nothing. No F anything or Alt anything. Keyboard operations and shortcuts are useless when the keyboard is completely disabled. I just wanted to point out the keyboard is processed differently. From what I remember of earlier versions of Linux, there were keyboard actions that would take you to a black screen with no GUI. I will start a separate thread next time it happens.
G-Mo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by G-Mo »

Ctrl + Alt + F2 seems to send her into a single screen terminal mode. I couldn't figure out how to toggle back to the GUI but should you have your command language down you can likely perform some magic. As not a command master I simply issued a graceful shutdown from here. I think that's a soft Hail-Mary vs. the dread press and hold the power button?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

G-Mo wrote:Ctrl + Alt + F2 seems to send her into a single screen terminal mode. I couldn't figure out how to toggle back to the GUI
Ctrl + Alt + F7 (or sometimes F8)

When you are in the graphical session enter the command, w, to see if it is tty7 or tty8

Code: Select all

w
If it says tty7, then Ctrl + Alt + F7 takes you back there.
Linux Linx 2018
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

On my LM 18.3 Cinnamon, w says tty7. Ctl+Alt+F7 does nothing. Ctl+Alt+F2 and Ctl+Alt+F8 both lock up the keyboard/mouse, forcing a reboot.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

More experiments after a fresh reboot. Some of these do not work consistently and some only work immediately after a reboot.
Ctl+Alt+F1 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F2 locks system with black screen. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F3 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F4 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F5 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F6 locks system with black screen. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F8 locks system with black screen. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F9 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F10 locks system. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F11 locks system with black screen. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.
Ctl+Alt+F12 locks system with black screen. Ctl+Alt+F7 unlocks system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”