I'm not able to play a DVD in my DVD drive on my PC

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

I'm not able to play a DVD in my DVD drive on my PC

Post by Punchy71 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Greetings,
I'm wanting to play a DVD I put in my DVD drive. I tried to open and play the disc using VLC media player and it wouldn't open or play the disc. Then I tried Xplayer and it wouldn't work either. What am I doing wrong? I'm currently running Linux Mint 18 Sarah MATE edition.
Thank you

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: I'm not able to play a DVD in my DVD drive on my PC

Post by jimallyn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:24 pm

With a DVD in the drive, open VLC then click Media, Open Disc. Under Disc Selection, click DVD. Next, for Disk device, select /dev/sr0. Then click Play. Does that do it? If not, check to see if libdvdcss2 is installed. If not, install it. When you did the Mint install, there should have been a screen about installing extra codecs and such. Did you tell it to install these extras? If not, you can install them by clicking Menu, Sound & Video, Install Multimedia Codecs. If none of this works, report back and hopefully somebody will have more ideas for you.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Try this:

Menu - Terminal

Type (use copy/paste to transport this magical incantation to the terminal):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Press Enter. When prompted, type your password. Your password will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal.

Whenever the terminal asks you to confirm the installation procedure with a preselected "OK", press Enter to give that "OK".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:33 pm

jimallyn wrote:With a DVD in the drive, open VLC then click Media, Open Disc. Under Disc Selection, click DVD. Next, for Disk device, select /dev/sr0. Then click Play. Does that do it? If not, check to see if libdvdcss2 is installed. If not, install it. When you did the Mint install, there should have been a screen about installing extra codecs and such. Did you tell it to install these extras? If not, you can install them by clicking Menu, Sound & Video, Install Multimedia Codecs. If none of this works, report back and hopefully somebody will have more ideas for you.
I tried the first instructions. I got a pop up window with an error message. This is what it says:

Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:35 pm

jimallyn wrote:When you did the Mint install, there should have been a screen about installing extra codecs and such. Did you tell it to install these extras?
I'm pretty sure I did. I don't have the option to install multimedia codecs under menu, sound and video, install multimedia codecs. So maybe that confirms that I already did (?)....

Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Pjotr wrote:Try this:

Menu - Terminal

Type (use copy/paste to transport this magical incantation to the terminal):

sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
Press Enter. When prompted, type your password. Your password will remain entirely invisible, not even dots will show, this is normal.

Whenever the terminal asks you to confirm the installation procedure with a preselected "OK", press Enter to give that "OK".
I tried all this. It downloaded something. I then rebooted my PC and tried to play the VLC media player with the DVD disc in the drive and still no dice.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:29 pm

That error you got from vlc is the same I get with no media inserted.

Do you show a device with lsscsi :?:

You might not have the app installed so in the terminal enter

dpkg -l lsscsi >/dev/null || sudo apt-get install lsscsi
to install it if necessary then paste back the results of lsscsi
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”