How to uninstall non English fonts? LM18

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintyMorkyMindy »

Hi,

When I use the graphics program Pinta, the font selection lists many variants of Noto Serif and other fonts that are non English and which I do not use.

Is there a way to remove all but essential LM 18 fonts?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint since 5 October 2014 :D
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

I would also like to know this. I think it uselessly eats up system resources.
richyrich

Re: How to uninstall non English fonts? LM18

Post by richyrich »

I did it from searching for font in Synaptic Package Manager and going down the list marking them for removal, then removing them all at once.
You can also do this in Mint's Software Manager by clicking the Installed button, then searching for font/fonts and removing those which you do not use.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

searching for font in Synaptic
Also try "ttf" - not all fonts are labeled "font", though the ones installed by default might be.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mintymatrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintymatrix »

Thanks, will try that way
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

With the same question I found this side (it's written in german) http://www.decocode.de/?97

International Fonts:

sudo apt-get purge fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-deva-extra fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru-extra fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-kalapi fonts-knda fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-lohit-beng-assamese fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-deva fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-lohit-orya fonts-lohit-taml fonts-lohit-taml-classical fonts-lohit-telu fonts-nakula fonts-nanum fonts-navilu fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-thai-tlwg fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-waree

Droid & Noto-Fonts:

cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/
sudo rm DroidKufi-Bold.ttf DroidKufi-Regular.ttf DroidNaskh-Bold.ttf DroidNaskh-Regular.ttf DroidNaskhUI-Regular.ttf DroidSansArabic.ttf DroidSansArmenian.ttf DroidSansEthiopic-Bold.ttf DroidSansEthiopic-Regular.ttf DroidSansGeorgian.ttf DroidSansHebrew-Bold.ttf DroidSansHebrew-Regular.ttf DroidSansJapanese.ttf DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf

​Lyx- & MathJax-Fonts:

sudo rm /usr/share/fonts/truetype/lyx/*
sudo rm -r /usr/share/javascript/mathjax/fonts/HTML-CSS/TeX/*

After this deleting-orgy it's a good idea to update the "fonts.config" list:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

At least I install unifont.ttf with synaptic as the one and only international character-set. :mrgreen:
Benedetto
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Benedetto »

richyrich wrote:I did it from searching for font in Synaptic Package Manager and going down the list marking them for removal, then removing them all at once.
You can also do this in Mint's Software Manager by clicking the Installed button, then searching for font/fonts and removing those which you do not use.
I followed this advice and successfully removed all the fonts that I was never going to use - principally mid and far eastern ones.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 21:2 Cinnamon 5.8.4 - Desktop
Linux Mint 21:2 - VAIO Laptop
EmeryGrantier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmeryGrantier »

Using the Software Manager, Viewing Installed, and Removing foreign language fonts works, but is time consuming and error prone. I have a bunch of extra foreign fonts that Scribus installed for me without asking. Thanks!

The Font Viewer has an Install button for un-installed fonts. I wish it had an Un-Install button for installed fonts. This would be even better if it knew not to un-install fonts that were being used by the system.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

this is the excess font removal command i use to eradicate rarely used fonts...DAMIEN

Remove Rarely Used Fonts

sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-deva fonts-droid fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-guru fonts-guru-extra fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-kalapi fonts-khmeros-core fonts-knda fonts-lao fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-lohit-beng-assamese fonts-lohit-beng-bengali fonts-lohit-deva fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-lohit-guru fonts-lohit-knda fonts-lohit-mlym fonts-lohit-orya fonts-lohit-taml fonts-lohit-taml-classical fonts-lohit-telu fonts-nakula fonts-nanum fonts-navilu fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-samyak-deva fonts-samyak-gujr fonts-samyak-mlym fonts-samyak-taml fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-taml fonts-telu fonts-telu-extra fonts-thai-tlwg fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-tlwg-garuda fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf fonts-tlwg-kinnari fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf fonts-tlwg-laksaman fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf fonts-tlwg-loma fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf fonts-tlwg-mono fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf fonts-tlwg-norasi fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf fonts-tlwg-purisa fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf fonts-tlwg-sawasdee fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf fonts-tlwg-typewriter fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf fonts-tlwg-typist fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf fonts-tlwg-typo fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf fonts-tlwg-umpush fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf fonts-tlwg-waree fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei ttf-indic-fonts-core ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-wqy-microhei
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

There are also > 500 files in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/fonts/X11
Why so many?

And > 100 more files in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/fonts/type1
which are not ttf fonts.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”