Uninstalling Mint 17 in dual boot alongside Mint 18

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Uninstalling Mint 17 in dual boot alongside Mint 18

Post by jimwg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Greetings:

To test whether an older version of Mint might improve CrossOver's problem with some balking programs I installed Mint 17 alongside Mint 18 which is the disk's only OS. Since 17 has no effect on CrossOver I want to uninstall it but there's no apparent uninstall option on 17's CD installer as I wrongly assumed. Google is stuffed with ideas on uninstalling Mint from Windows disks and partitions but I found nothing on uninstalling Mint on Mint disks.

Any assist much appreciated!

Jim in NYC

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Uninstalling Mint 17 in dual boot alongside Mint 18

Post by WharfRat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:40 pm

The problem with removing 17 now is since it was installed after 18 it now controls the grub boot and menu.

The first thing would be to reinstall grub from 18. If it's a UEFI grub installation then it's more complicated than legacy BIOS.
ImageImage

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:16 pm

WharfRat wrote:The problem with removing 17 now is since it was installed after 18 it now controls the grub boot and menu.

The first thing would be to reinstall grub from 18. If it's a UEFI grub installation then it's more complicated than legacy BIOS.
Thanks for rapid answer! Only thing is I'm a non-techie and have no clue outside what Google says what UEFI is or how to use it. Was "install alongside" another Mint installation always intended to be permanent? Is there any procedure to both take care of this GRUB and delete 17 off the disk?

Again thanks for your swift reply!

Jim in NYC

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:29 pm

As far as I know and as you have discovered there is no uninstall option.

Although a side-by-side installation is not necessarily permanent there are some hoops that need jumping through.

The most important is getting the boot process back in Mint 18's control.

Then it's a matter of doing whatever you want with the partition that 17 was installed to e.g., deleting it to resize adjacent partitions or just mounting it for storage or installing another distro in its place.

I just replaced gentoo with Mint when I got tired of maintaining gentoo.
ImageImage

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for taking my query so quickly!

I want to try something suggested by an Ubuntu user but I want to run it by you Mint mavens here before I move on this. He suggests that, since my Mint 17 install used the second larger partition of my Mint 18 disk to carve out a new partition for itself, that via gParted on another CD, I could safely clear and ext4 reformat that Mint 17 partition then use it to fuse that reformatted partition back with the other "half" of the original whole partition, then use Boot-Repair CD to recreate a new "GRUB" which will only "see" and rebuild a new start-up from the original untouched Mint 18 boot partition. If this smells right to you mavens I'll see about going about it.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Jim in NYC

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 am

I could safely clear and ext4 reformat that Mint 17 partition then use it to fuse that reformatted partition back with the other "half" of the original whole partition
If you mean resizing the Mint 18 partition to its original size then yes you can do it the way the Ubuntu user outlined.

The extra step that would be required is
then use Boot-Repair CD to recreate a new "GRUB"
If you reinstall grub in Mint 18 then this step would not be necessary.

All that would be needed is a boot to the live media to delete the Mint 17 partition and then resize Mint 18.

The reason being for the live media is that you cannot resize a live partition i.e., you cant resize the Mint 18 partition while you're booted to it.

The Ubuntu user just adds a couple of extra hoops to jump through :wink:
ImageImage

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:26 pm

If you are a bit patient there is a really easy way: In Mint Update Manager check carefully for an update to 'Grub' (roughly every 3 months), if one is offered execute the update in 18 and block it in 17.

If the update is done without errors 18 is in control of grub and you can wipe/delete your 17 partition. Not very elegant, I admit, but it works.

Boot-Repair CD, SuperGrubDisk/Rescatux or even Mint boot medium will also do as long as they boot ok.
Last edited by prestonR on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:37 pm

prestonR wrote:If you are a bit patient there is a really easy way: In Mint Update Manager check carefully for an update to 'Grub' (roughly every 3 months), if one is offered execute the update in 18 and block it in 17.
If the update is done without errors 18 is in control of grub and you can wipe/delete your 17 partition.
This is not a good plan.
First, the program is named "grub-pc", not "grub", so that could lead to complications.
Second, you can re-install grub-pc anytime you want, you don't have to wait for an update.
Third, it is not necessary if you follow WharfRat's advice
reinstall grub from 18.
Specifically, that means boot into Mint 18 and run the command:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
After doing that, you are free to delete the Mint 17 partition or dedicate it to other use.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:21 pm

austin.texas wrote:This is not a good plan.
I know. It isn't even a plan, it's pure laziness but I thought I'd mention it since it means that the OPs goal (getting 18 in control of grub) will simply happen with the regular updates.

Btw, the name of the package depends on the system, I believe mine are grub-efi-amd64 or grub-efi, however, essentially it means that the system that's doing the update is re-installing the bootloader and taking control. Drove me nuts on a multi-boot with the boot order constantly changing, kept fixing it with SuperGrubDisk until I worked out that the Grub updates were causing it.

Well, the OP should ignore my post, was writing it when there weren't any replies yet and I just wanted to offer an easy way out without risking any trouble.

Return to “Newbie Questions”