Linux newbie

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zenlim

Linux newbie

Post by Zenlim »

Hi all and ty for help.I am totally new at Linux and programming.I read LinuxMint was a good version of Linux but it is up to 18 already.If it was to use an os my windows works fine.What i am looking for is learn programming.May I ask you any suggestions of where I should start?
Tx again and congrats you have a nice site.
Zenlim.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux newbie

Post by Oscar799 »

You may find this useful
https://www.codecademy.com/
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you want to learn Python, look here: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpytho ... ython.html
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

killer de bug wrote:(signature) If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Good motto, I do that frequently ;)
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

You could also have a look at lynda.com that offers very good video tutorials on a lot of tech subjects, and also check Gale Courses. While normally paid services, many local public libraries provide full "subscriptions" as a digital service to patrons with a library card.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Zenlim

Post by Zenlim »

Ty for suggestions guys.I will read and that will help im sure but i might miss something cause its all new and cant buy experience.If you were to start where/how would you to get the concept the easiest and fastest possible way.I will take note of your recommendations while reading.
Tx again.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I have been told that Python is a good starting language for beginners. I have messed with Python a bit, and it is pretty easy to use. Also, there are zillions of libraries of functions available for it, so you can do a lot without really knowing much - just use the functions that are readily available.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Beginner Questions”