<SOLVED> Mouse stuttering or lagging, help please.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mouse stuttering or lagging, help please.

Post by SweetBearCub » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:38 am

trytip wrote:you can install the nvidia-361 and the intel microcode ... then reboot
Done. They took quite a while to process. Rebooted and... no improvement.

SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SweetBearCub » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:50 am

Just a quick update. After installing hwinfo and running it, I got the ID of my touchpad, and put it into Google. From my limited knowledge, it appears that a kernel update has somehow messed up support for it?

Code: Select all

ELAN0501:00 04F3:3019 Touchpad
Last edited by SweetBearCub on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 am

That was expected, as you found, that with Mint 17 (kernel 3.13) the touchpad works.

SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SweetBearCub » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Work-around found!

Note that this work-around is only tested on my Acer laptop. It may or may not work for others.

Also note that using this work-around will cause a loss of most advanced touchpad features such as 2 or more finger gestures, such as 2 finger scrolling.

Tap to click/drag and normal operation will still work.

1. Shut down the system.
2. Restart it and press and release F2 rapidly. After a short time at the green Acer boot logo, the UEFI setup should open.
3. If a supervisor password was set for it, enter that now, and press Enter.
4. Press the right arrow key once, to get to the tab titled "Main".
5. Scroll down with the down arrow until the word "Touchpad" is highlighted in white, and press Enter.
5. Press the up arrow one time to move the selection from "Advanced" to "Basic", and then press Enter.
6. Press F10 to choose to save changes and restart the computer, and press Enter to confirm.

osvalr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by osvalr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:09 am

SweetBearCub wrote:Work-around found!

Note that this work-around is only tested on my Acer laptop. It may or may not work for others.

Also note that using this work-around will cause a loss of most advanced touchpad features such as 2 or more finger gestures, such as 2 finger scrolling.

Tap to click/drag and normal operation will still work.

1. Shut down the system.
2. Restart it and press and release F2 rapidly. After a short time at the green Acer boot logo, the UEFI setup should open.
3. If a supervisor password was set for it, enter that now, and press Enter.
4. Press the right arrow key once, to get to the tab titled "Main".
5. Scroll down with the down arrow until the word "Touchpad" is highlighted in white, and press Enter.
5. Press the up arrow one time to move the selection from "Advanced" to "Basic", and then press Enter.
6. Press F10 to choose to save changes and restart the computer, and press Enter to confirm.

I have tested this on ACER ASPIRE F 15, the BIOS touchpad configuration works as expected.
thank you

Return to “Newbie Questions”