flash player not working in firefox or chromium

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: flash player not working in firefox or chromium

Post by pcpunk »

It may also have something to do with this. I cannot watch because I am not a member, is it free? If so I could sign up and test it out.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2028

Here is a link from that site that tells us you should use Firefox, but of course does not say anything about linux.
http://apps.channel4.com/app/4od/#computer
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Here is a "SOLUTION" from linuxmint, use at own risk. Take a read of the whole Thread.
viewtopic.php?p=788947#p788947
Super Clean Runs Perfect
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

micksulley wrote:I have installed Chromium in another instance, that initially gave the same 'Install Flash' message. I then installed adobe-flashplug and no longer get the message but it still does not work, just a blank screen.

I tried to install Chrome using the link, https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ clicked on the link to download, then accept and install, all seems to complete but I don't have a Chrome browser, rebooted and still not there, tried several times, nothing. How do I install it?
click and install https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/goog ... _amd64.deb <<< this is the link i got while downloading with uget not sure why you can't get chrome installed works fine here linux/mint/mate/x64/17.3
ps: it installs the google ppa which gives you the official update, in fact i just got the new google update 54.0.2840.100-1 a few minutes ago
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Looks like you have all you need installed from this.

Code: Select all

mick@MickMintDesk ~ $ dpkg --get-selections | grep flash
[b]adobe-flashplugin            install[/b]
flashplugin-installer            deinstall
[b]libhal1-flash               install
[/b]mick@MickMintDesk ~ $ 
Super Clean Runs Perfect
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

I have yet again gone through

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get --purge remove adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
plus reboot, restart Firefox etc, and it still doesn't work, the site http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ doesn't show the rotating red cubes.

I do not see adobe-flashplugin in the Extensions or Plugins, so no way to enable it if that is what is necessary. What I do see in Plugins is Shockwave Flash (disabled), plus a message that it is vulnerable and should be updated, but following the links to update just gets to download a .exe file. I cannot see any way to remove this, any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far, but would appreciate a bit more :)
Mick
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

Well I seem to have made some progress! about:plugins shows details of them all. I manually deleted all of the Shockwave files and all of the Iced Tea files (that was also disabled).
I then rebooted and again installed adobe-flashplugin and checked the plugins page. I was a little surprised to see a Shockwave entry, it seems this is what adobe-flashplugin is called. It was set to 'Never Activate' so I changed it to 'Always Activate' refreshed the Adobe page and my red bricks are now revolving!!
Problem now is that if I reboot it is back to 'Never Activate'. How do I fix that?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The cause might be in your FF-profile.
To find this out do the following:
Close FF.
Open your file-manager and make hidden files visible (press ctrl-h).
Rename the folder .mozilla to .mozilla.bck
Start FF, this will create automatically a new FF-profile.
Check.

To get back to your old profile:
Close FF.
Delete the new folder .mozilla
Rename the folder .mozila.bck back to .mozilla
Start FF. Done.

Return to “Beginner Questions”