Cinnamon going to Fallback Mode after update

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sproutkraut
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon going to Fallback Mode after update

Post by sproutkraut » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 pm

I just ran a long overdue update. It might be relevant that this included my NVidia driver. after a reboot, Cinnamon now crashes and goes to Fallback Mode. After reading some suggestions, I renamed the /.local and /.config folders, restarted, but no change. In my Xorg.0.log file, I get the message:

Code: Select all

[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID for LG Electronics LG TV (DFP-1) contradicts itself:
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     mode "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID; however, the
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     EDID's valid VertRefresh range (58.000-62.000 Hz) would
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     exclude this mode's VertRefresh (30.0 Hz); ignoring
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     VertRefresh check for mode "1920x1080".
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID for LG Electronics LG TV (DFP-1) contradicts itself:
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     mode "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID; however, the
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     EDID's valid HorizSync range (30.000-83.000 kHz) would
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     exclude this mode's HorizSync (27.0 kHz); ignoring
[   983.644] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     HorizSync check for mode "1920x1080".
Again, not sure if this means anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon going to Fallback Mode after update

Post by Atypical User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:39 pm

I am fairly certain (WW) lines are just warnings.

There have been a lot of complaints of crashing Cinnamon reverting to fallback mode after the Nvidia driver update. You didn't mention your setup, but in this case it might not be needed. Just look for threads relating to the above in Graphic Cards & Monitors section, in the Installation & Boot section, or Cinnamon crashes, I have a working desktop (SOLVED) and others in Desktops & Window Managers > Cinnamon section.

The Nvidia driver is missing some essential components for some installations, it seems, namely new header files for use with an updated kernel. The problem breaks the X server, which breaks Cinnamon and OpenGL. The solutions involve either rebuilding the latest driver after acquiring the missing parts (see If you are having problems with Mint18 Cinnamon and Nvidia drivers read this) or reverting to an older driver (many references here, see jim-m's reply in "Updating to the newest drivers crashes cinnamon" for an example).

Edit: A third alternative possibility would be the use of nomodeset in the grub boot command line. The option defers the initialization of the video drivers (done in the kernel in the newest kernel releases) until the X server is loaded:

Cannot boot into Desktop environment without using nomodeset after nvidia driver install

You have my sympathy: Been there, had that done to me.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

Return to “Newbie Questions”