Updates screwed up my system!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Updates screwed up my system!

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 am

Hi guys, I've been running a dual boot Linux/Win8.1 system happily for a couple of years, The other day I clicked on the updates button, and now wish I hadn't bothered!

System: LinuxMint 17 Qiana, release 3.13.0-24-generic

After the updates, all my windows were visually affected - I could see the window frames, but the content inside was invisible. I could still click on things (if I knew where they were) so it appears that it's just the display that was affected.

After rebooting, the system crashes as soon as I login, and goes into recovery mode (or whatever the Linux terminology is!). So I have a black screen, and have managed to get a terminal open - beyond that I have no idea what to do to get my system working again. I hope someone can help - I'm not new to Linux, but I'm no guru, so I'll need some pretty verbose instructions!

Many thanks.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Updates screwed up my system!

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:27 am

Nol one's going to be able to give useful instructions without more info.

You apparently updated via Update Manager. DId you have level 4 & 5 updates enabled? Do you have more than one desktop environment installed?

Need more system info than release/kernel number. Copy/paste this into terminal and copy/paste the text output back here:

inxi -Fxz

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:52 am

Had to attach the info as an image, as I'm typing from my other laptop! Thanks.
linux1.jpg

Rollo151
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rollo151 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=232706

I had a similar problem, and the folks here did a great job getting it fixed. I've attached the link I used.....hopefully it will help

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks Rollo151 - I had a read through that thread, and tried the new user solution, but unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Strangely, the login screen is fine, everything is normal and as it used to be with a background picture and icons that I can press. But logging in causes the crash and the blank screen. I'll post a pic of this screen in a while.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Neilz wrote:and have managed to get a terminal open
Get the terminal open again and check if this returns anything or nothing at all.

Code: Select all

aptitude search ~U
There's no need to list anything if it does come back with a list of packages, just that it did or didn't.
ImageImage

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Neilz wrote:Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.
I know a lot of members here are vehemently opposed to performing a dist-upgrade, but holding back the newer packages and dependencies eventually exhaust the system's capability to run.

So cross your fingers and

apt dist-upgrade 
There's no guarantee that this alone with fix this, but it will eliminate a possibility.
ImageImage

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Ok, I'll give it a try - but it definitely won't break the system completely, right?!

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Neilz wrote:Ok, I'll give it a try - but it definitely won't break the system completely, right?!
You crash now, how much worse can it get :?
ImageImage

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Currently I can still get in to the OS and type commands... worse would be if I can't get in at all!

I'm not familiar with the command, that's all, so don't fully understand what it is I'm about to undertake!

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 pm

Neilz wrote:Currently I can still get in to the OS and type commands... worse would be if I can't get in at all!

I'm not familiar with the command, that's all, so don't fully understand what it is I'm about to undertake!
From the apt-get man page

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages;
Basically there are packages that require a newer version of a package so therefore it can't be upgraded until the new/newer package is installed and configured.

I always dist-upgrade when I see packages are being held back because of changed dependencies and never experienced a problem.

I always go up to level 5 with upgrades, again without issues.

It's ultimately up to you whether or not to do this, but these held-back packages might be the root cause of your problem :wink:
ImageImage

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:34 pm

create a new user with admin privileges and test that after reboot you may need to logoff if you use auto login

Neilz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neilz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Neilz wrote:Yes, that command returned 60ish lines of stuff.
I know a lot of members here are vehemently opposed to performing a dist-upgrade, but holding back the newer packages and dependencies eventually exhaust the system's capability to run.

So cross your fingers and

apt dist-upgrade 
There's no guarantee that this alone with fix this, but it will eliminate a possibility.
It's worked! Thank you, so much :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”