Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
itsblogger3d
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by itsblogger3d » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello, Im newbie. Last week I run bleachbit ( as root ) and check all the box. Please dont ask why. I regret it and feeling stupid :( :( . I check my linux mint laptop yesterday and notice I have loss a lot of storage space, almost 90GB. How can I fix it?. Thank you before.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11949
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by WharfRat » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:19 pm

Start by identifying where the disk space is being used.

Paste back the results of

Code: Select all

sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
ImageImage

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11169
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Pjotr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:36 am

BleachBit is a nasty piece of semi-malware.... You've probably cancelled the operation that it was busy doing, which apparently leaves an enormous useless file somewhere. Find it and delete it.

Don't ever use that software wrecking ball again. It's superfluous at best, and may seriously damage your system: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... plications
(item 4, left column)

If you want to clean a bit now and then, this is a safe way:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

itsblogger3d
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by itsblogger3d » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:17 pm

WharfRat wrote:Start by identifying where the disk space is being used.

Paste back the results of

Code: Select all

sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
This what I got:
37G /home
16K /lost+found
4,7G /usr
4,0K /cdrom
16M /sbin

what should I do next?.

itsblogger3d
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by itsblogger3d » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:19 pm

Pjotr wrote:BleachBit is a nasty piece of semi-malware.... You've probably cancelled the operation that it was busy doing, which apparently leaves an enormous useless file somewhere. Find it and delete it.
How can I find them?. Thank you.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11949
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by WharfRat » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 pm

There's something wrong with your du results, it doesn't show a /etc /lib /bin and other system folders.

Are you copying and pasting back the output or just typing a few results :?:
ImageImage

all41
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5116
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by all41 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:00 am

WharfRat wrote:There's something wrong with your du results, it doesn't show a /etc /lib /bin and other system folders.

Are you copying and pasting back the output or just typing a few results :?:
I suspect the op did not wait for the complete results.
There is quite a pause after /cdrom
@itsblogger3d
WharfRat wants to examine you entire results--for example I am posting mine:

Code: Select all

uno@Labonline ~ $ sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
[sudo] password for uno: 
23M	/root
4.0K	/lib64
30M	/etc
16M	/sbin
4.0K	/cdrom
4.2G	/usr
11G	/home
16K	/lost+found
580M	/lib
10M	/bin
4.0K	/srv
2.3G	/var
98M	/boot
18G	/
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

User avatar
WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11949
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by WharfRat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 am

@all41,
I suspect the op did not wait for the complete results.
You might be right here so we can exclude it

Code: Select all

sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/cdrom,/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
ImageImage

all41
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5116
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by all41 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:08 am

WharfRat wrote:@all41,
I suspect the op did not wait for the complete results.
You might be right here so we can exclude it

Code: Select all

sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/cdrom,/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
it takes considerable time to scan /usr

@trytip
You have refocused on the "wrecking ball" analogy for bleachbit.
Regarding that: Though I totally respect the expertise of our very competent expert volunteers, I agree, and view this description
as inflammatory, particularly for a package offered from our own repositories.
However in the final analysis: bleachbit can be either a rifle and a bomb
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

User avatar
trytip
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by trytip » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:11 am

you can install gdmap and with it open your filesystem (the root partition, unmount any other drives) then look for a LARGE block and that will be your allocated wasted hard drive space

Image
Image

itsblogger3d
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by itsblogger3d » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:54 pm

all41 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:@all41,
I suspect the op did not wait for the complete results.
You might be right here so we can exclude it

Code: Select all

sudo du / -xhd1 --exclude={/cdrom,/run/,proc,/dev,/media,/mnt,/sys,/tmp}
it takes considerable time to scan /usr

@trytip
You have refocused on the "wrecking ball" analogy for bleachbit.
Regarding that: Though I totally respect the expertise of our very competent expert volunteers, I agree, and view this description
as inflammatory, particularly for a package offered from our own repositories.
However in the final analysis: bleachbit can be either a rifle and a bomb
Thats all the result. I wait so long, so I assume thats all of the result and quit terminal.

Anyway. I think I broke my system and just give up. Im switched to Ubuntu 14 now. Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11169
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Pjotr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:06 am

itsblogger3d wrote:I think I broke my system and just give up. Im switched to Ubuntu 14 now.
That's OK, but stay away from BleachBit in Ubuntu as well. Or you'll risk a repetition of your problems.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 am

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by chrisuk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:29 am

Here we go again with the "Danger Will Robinson... Bleachbit! Bleachbit!" ;) But seriously, the only sensible message to take away from this thread has little to do with Bleachbit...
Do Not run programs as root that you do not understand!!!

Trust the software in the Repositories, it's for those upstream to decide what is safe, not us in this forum. But read instructions and manuals, never just click. Members of this forum can have an opinion, yes, but very few here actually have any influence over what is included in Mint or Ubuntu ;)

So don't blindly trust opinions... including mine.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 17823
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:34 am

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:06 am

chrisuk wrote:very few here actually have any influence over what is included in Mint or Ubuntu ;)
Actually: less than very few. Except you would be a member of the Mint development team, a member of canonical or a master of the universe.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11169
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Pjotr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 am

chrisuk wrote:Trust the software in the Repositories, it's for those upstream to decide what is safe, not us in this forum.
That's bad advice. :shock:

The software in the official repo's is of course guaranteed to be free from malware and other intentional nasties. But that's about it.

There's some low-quality software to be found in the repo's, which you better avoid. Not because it's malware, but because it's just so bad. Especially the Ubuntu Universe repo is most likely to contain such trash (apart from all the good stuff it contains, which is the vast majority).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 am

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by chrisuk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 am

Pjotr wrote:
chrisuk wrote:Trust the software in the Repositories, it's for those upstream to decide what is safe, not us in this forum.
That's bad advice. :shock:

The software in the official repo's is of course guaranteed to be free from malware and other intentional nasties. But that's about it.

There's some low-quality software to be found in the repo's, which you better avoid. Not because it's malware, but because it's just so bad. Especially the Ubuntu Universe repo is most likely to contain such trash (apart from all the good stuff it contains, which is the vast majority).
Although I don't necessarily disagree that there is some software that might have a few bugs that need ironing out (and some that doesn't work as intended); I wouldn't call it "trash". Much of the software we use in Linux is provided by people for no financial reward - they see a gap (maybe a CCleaner-like app ;) ) and try to fill this gap... they want to help. Whether you or I have a need for this software is irrelevant - it's there if needed.

It seems to me that telling potential new users of Linux, that some of the freely provided software is "trash", and that some is a "Software Wrecking Ball", doesn't exactly encourage them to remain a Linux user... in fact, it will probably send a few straight back to Windows. Giving root privileges to a program and blindly selecting every option (as the OP did), is a recipe for disaster - regardless of the OS or program. TBH, "RTFM" would be more useful advice than advising them to never use, what they assumed to be, a trusted program from the Repositories.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11169
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Pjotr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:51 pm

chrisuk wrote:I don't necessarily disagree that there is some software that might have a few bugs that need ironing out (and some that doesn't work as intended)
In some cases, that's *cough* putting it extremely mildly. :mrgreen:

I've been a fulltime Linux user since 2006 (mainly Ubuntu or its derivates) and I can assure you from my own experience, that some open source software in the official repo's is very crappy indeed.

The vast majority is either excellent, plain good or (more or less) OK, but a tiny minority is digital trash. With all due respect for the good intentions of the developers. Trash is trash.
they see a gap (maybe a CCleaner-like app ;) ) and try to fill this gap... they want to help. Whether you or I have a need for this software is irrelevant - it's there if needed.
Not all demand is wise.... Paraphrasing Steve Jobs: people don't always know what's good for them. This holds especially true for Linux beginners. Linux isn't Windows: some things are simply different. Beginners have to learn about that.

My motivation for being active in this forum is twofold: if I can, I want to help people with a particular problem. But I also want to "educate" Linux beginners in how to treat their Linux well. In order to minimize unnecessary disappointment about Linux.

BleachBit is superfluous at best, and catastrophic at worst. Especially beginners are being victimized, causing huge disappointment about Linux. That's enough for a high score on my trash-o-meter.

Why should we even bother to teach people how to use BleachBit more or less "safely", if it's superfluous at best? Better warn them to just stay away from that junk. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by MartyMint » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Pjotr wrote:
BleachBit is superfluous at best, and catastrophic at worst. Especially beginners are being victimized, causing huge disappointment about Linux. That's enough for a high score on my trash-o-meter.
Bookmark this thread for the next BleachBit discussion.

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11169
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by Pjotr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:16 pm

MartyMint wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
BleachBit is superfluous at best, and catastrophic at worst. Especially beginners are being victimized, causing huge disappointment about Linux. That's enough for a high score on my trash-o-meter.
Bookmark this thread for the next BleachBit discussion.
That might be a good idea. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
trytip
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2883
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Re: Run BleachBit and Loss Storage Space. How Can I Fix It?.

Post by trytip » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:23 pm

next time open bleachbit in windows/mac/linux whatever you use then in edit/preferences/ UNcheck Hide irrelevant cleaners close the window and then SELECT EVERYTHING from Adobe Reader- yum and DELETE IT ALL

caution: you may experience a few tears afterwards,
Last edited by trytip on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”