Bad Permissions Prevents Update Manager from working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Bad Permissions Prevents Update Manager from working

Post by jimwg » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:55 am

Greetings!

Because this play-it-by-ear non-techie was tinkering with permissions in my Mint 18 /usr/ folder to fix another problem related to VirtualBox, Mint 18 Update Manager doesn't update anymore. You see the checked files to update but they don't install. Does anyone know what files whose permissions and owner I must fix to get it working again? I use Gnome Commander to change things like permissions but I'll mug through a command line if instructed exactly what to type.

Thanks for any tips!

Jim in NYC

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Bad Permissions Prevents Update Manager from working

Post by Pjotr » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:04 am

That's bad, and like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. With the definite possibility of there being several needles and even several hay stacks.

If I were you, I'd do a clean re-installation. That's the only way of getting a reliable system again, that behaves predictably. And from then onward, of course don't ever mess with permissions again.... :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:19 am

If you change the owner or permissions of the sudo command it stops working...
sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

Reinstall sudo which will reset the owner and permissions...

Code: Select all

### This will ask for the password of the root user...
    su -c "apt-get install --reinstall sudo"
Tommy reports the scan of zircon and opal storage is complete. When shall we go today?

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:00 am

Mute Ant wrote:If you change the owner or permissions of the sudo command it stops working...
sudo: /usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set

Reinstall sudo which will reset the owner and permissions...

### This will ask for the password of the root user...
    su -c "apt-get install --reinstall sudo"
Thanks for your helpful rapid response!!! Only thing is another Mint maven already helped carry me through that command to get things working. Thing is everything works except for Update Manager in updating. If I knew just what specific files that just it relies on maybe I can re-tweak their permissions right. Can't be all that many since otherwise everything works. Re-installing just to fix that seems time-consuming overkill. Otherwise is there any workaround to do the same job? Or maybe a site where I can ask Mint's actual engineers? Thanks for your help!

Jim in NYC

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Run this and compare your permissions to this list https://gist.github.com/ff04164b606095b ... 162027979e

for p in $(dpkg -L mintupdate);do if test -d $p;then ls -dl $p; else ls -l $p;fi ;done|column -t
ImageImage

jimwg
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jimwg » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:59 pm

WharfRat wrote:Run this and compare your permissions to this list https://gist.github.com/ff04164b606095b ... 162027979e

for p in $(dpkg -L mintupdate);do if test -d $p;then ls -dl $p; else ls -l $p;fi ;done|column -t
Thanks a trillion for this!

I'll be comparing your listing to my readout shortly. Meanwhile I have a question put through a Ubuntu maven. Is there a way to totally delete the Update Manager and all its related files then reinstall it, which presumably creates an Update Manager with a new set of "original" permissions? If so, what commands would I use to do such?

Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:21 pm

jimwg wrote:Is there a way to totally delete the Update Manager and all its related files then reinstall it, which presumably creates an Update Manager with a new set of "original" permissions? If so, what commands would I use to do such?
Yes, you can reinstall mintupdate with

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintupdate
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”