LM 18 Graphics glitches [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TenzinVanRijswijk
Level 1
Level 1

LM 18 Graphics glitches [SOLVED]

Post by TenzinVanRijswijk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:05 am

I recently installed Linux Mint 18 KDE on my system, from the beginning I have been having graphics glitches, generally when launching a program, moving or minimising a window, and when streaming video in fullscreen. The window generally glitches by flashing the dektop background in odd patterns, as well as stuttering.
My systems pretty low spec but I dont think its should be causing these problems, have an amd igpu, 3,4 ghz dual core, 4gb ram.
Anyone else have this problem? Or can think of a solution?
Last edited by TenzinVanRijswijk on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM 18 Graphics glitches

Post by Atypical User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:18 am

Disclaimer: I am absolutely not part of the solution: don't have LM 18, never used KDE, not running AMD igpu. So I'm happy to jump in here with a shot in the dark. Stay low, okay?

LM 18 is based on an Ubuntu that no longer supports the currently-existing proprietary AMD graphics driver (something like "fglrx"*), from what I hear -- see Time to change my graphics card? for an example and some possible help. I also suggest the following:

Run the Driver Manager, and select the default open-source driver if it exists. Try that for a bit. This might require a restart. You might have more than a couple of options there; if so, do a web search to see what official repository driver is recommended for your video IGP or APU or whatever it is, then try that.

Post something useful about your system, like the output in a terminal you get when you run the command inxi -Fxz. When you post it, select the text in the terminal, press shift-ctrl-C to copy it, then paste it into an "post a reply" edit box. Then re-select it and click the "Code" button above the edit box so that it will look presentable.

This attracts those wonderful beings known as Linux gurus. (Is there such a thing as truthful and well-meaning snark? If not, then it's not snark.) In other words, give the guys with the answers the information they need to help you.

*It is hard to search for some weird text when you have absolutely no idea how it is spelled.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

TenzinVanRijswijk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TenzinVanRijswijk » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:44 am

Thanks a lot man, checked my driver manager, and it seems they didn't want to use my cpu driver because it was proprietary, turned it on and now all's working. Again, thanks a lot. :D

Atypical User
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Atypical User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Good. I forgot that the default is generally not the proprietary driver. I guess the AMD proprietary driver may not be supported in LM 18 but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

If you have a moment, please edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the title to help others like yourself. Either way, thanks for the feedback.
Linux Mint 18.2 x86_64, Cinnamon 3.4.6 on kernel 4.10

Return to “Newbie Questions”