Level 1,2,3 updates-should I still be cautious

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xpeterpx

Level 1,2,3 updates-should I still be cautious

Post by xpeterpx »

Do you install these level updates as a matter of course or should you still be cautious.

What are the sort of things to look out for please?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Level 1,2,3 updates-should I still be cautious

Post by Pjotr »

Always install all level 1-3 updates. As a matter of course. :)

The level system has been designed to protect you from potential regressions (defective updates) that would make your system unusable. No defective level 1-3 update should ever be able to kill your system.

So even if there would be a "bad apple" among the level 1-3 updates, the damage would be limited. And temporary, because a fix usually will arrive shortly.

It's only level 4 and 5 that carry showstopper risks. Note that even for level 4 and 5 those risks are small: all updates are being tested before they're being released.

--- Edit: forum member Cosmo. has rightly pointed out to me, that there's currently an important exception to what I've outlined above. Don't install updates for Nvidia drivers, even if they're labeled as level 3.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xpeterpx

Post by xpeterpx »

OK, thank you
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I would add that there is also an exception for level 5 updates, as it pertains to the Dirty Cow exploit. If you are using a kernel that is susceptible to the Dirty Cow exploit, I'd advise to update it. (Kernel upgrades are always level 5.)

[ For more info on Dirty Cow, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232473 ]
miclis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miclis »

Actually, I believe that you should always be cautious (to some degree) while installing lv 1-3 patches. Two weeks ago there was an update of nvidia drivers which caused some users serious problems. Of course it may be quite difficult and time consuming to investigate every patch and look for possible problems on the Internet before installing. What I suggest is not to install updates blindly. Accept all 1-3lv patches but at least read the patch name, so if any problems occur, you will know what you just installed and what (possibly) caused the problem which makes troubleshooting and reversing changes much easier.
GoLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GoLinux »

miclis wrote:Actually, I believe that you should always be cautious (to some degree) while installing lv 1-3 patches. Two weeks ago there was an update of nvidia drivers which caused some users serious problems. Of course it may be quite difficult and time consuming to investigate every patch and look for possible problems on the Internet before installing. What I suggest is not to install updates blindly. Accept all 1-3lv patches but at least read the patch name, so if any problems occur, you will know what you just installed and what (possibly) caused the problem which makes troubleshooting and reversing changes much easier.
Also, Synaptic keeps a log of all of the packages that have been installed, upgraded and removed. It is all neatly organized by month and then by specific date and time. You can access it from File -> History from Synaptic's main screen.
Mint 20.2 Cinnamon 64bit
Acer Aspire 7750G-6645, Intel i5-2450M, AMD Radeon HD7670M - 1GB

Mint 19.1Cinnamon 64bit
HP EliteBook 2540p, Intel i7-L640

Mint 18 Mate 64bit
Samsung NP300U1A-A01US, Intel i3-2357M
miclis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miclis »

Nice feature, but to make it useful, you have to know that it exists :D Moreover, in a case when you cannot access Synaptics because your GUI does not work (like in this nvidia case) you won't be able to use this History option. Yeah, I know, there is for sure a text log file which keeps those information and can be accessed via terminal, but in order to use it, you have to know where to find it.

There is also a log of updates that can be accessed via Update Manager. You have to click on View and then on History. Still, only accessible when GUI works.

Return to “Beginner Questions”