Browsers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
egnt77
Level 1
Level 1

Browsers

Post by egnt77 »

Hi

I'm new to Linux and have a question about browsers. Which one's do you use? I seem to have to switch between Firefox and chromium during a browsing session as certain pages will not display correctly in Firefox and others will not work in chrome due to security issues.

Cheers

Lee
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Browsers

Post by Pjotr »

I use mainly Firefox and sometimes Chrome.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I use Firefox only. There is another one I used a couple of years ago that is/was Firefox based. I used it before I switched to LM from Windows.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I use SeaMonkey most of the time, and Pale Moon sometimes. They are both Firefox forks but SeaMonkey was forked off much earlier, and comes as a suite complete with mail client, HTML editor, and IRC client.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
egnt77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by egnt77 »

For people using Chrome: Do you have issues with the pages displaying correctly? E.g. amazon.co.uk just looks like the bare bones on my chrome browser. I also get security warnings about certificates quite frequently. :?
egnt77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by egnt77 »

Moem wrote:I use SeaMonkey most of the time, and Pale Moon sometimes. They are both Firefox forks but SeaMonkey was forked off much earlier, and comes as a suite complete with mail client, HTML editor, and IRC client.
I think I'll have a look at it. Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

+1 Firefox
smudge64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smudge64 »

Opera
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Hi!
1. Opera (with Opera Turbo, No Script Suite, Privacy Badger, NoRef, EFF HTTPS & built in AD-Blocker) this is for comfort...
2. Firefox (with NoScript, uBlock Origin, RequestPolicy, CookieMonster, RefControl, EFF HTTPS, etc.) - maybe a bit paranoid?
3. Chromium - for GMail & Android connections only
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20.0 Ulyana (Cinnamon) - Huawei MateBook X Pro
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

Pale Moon. But it might be best to wait for version 27 to be released, which should be anytime within the next two weeks.
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

egnt77 wrote:For people using Chrome: Do you have issues with the pages displaying correctly? E.g. amazon.co.uk just looks like the bare bones on my chrome browser. I also get security warnings about certificates quite frequently. :?
I had the same problem with Chromium until yesterday when an update fixed it. My guess is that Chrome will do the same. Something to do with certificates.

EDIT: Plain old Chromium is my browser of choice.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I use four browsers. In order:

1 - Firefox (with noscript, ublock o., disconnect, decentraleyes, disable webrtc, and a free VPN service)
2 - Opera Developer (with ublock o., disconnect, webrtc leak prevent, and the built-in Opera VPN service on)
3 - Chrome (with ublock o., disconnect, webrtc control, and a free VPN service)
4 - Slimjet (with ublock o., disconnect, webrtc control, and a free VPN service)

Most of the time I use Firefox, then Opera (very fast, although more "barebone" than FF). Chrome for some specific stuff like banking. Slimjet (fast, even faster than Chrome) less frequently, just to change browser.
I've tried also Midori: not bad but too "spartan" for me, and not compatible with all sites.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

absque fenestris wrote:Hi!
1. Opera (with Opera Turbo, No Script Suite, Privacy Badger, NoRef, EFF HTTPS & built in AD-Blocker) this is for comfort...
2. Firefox (with NoScript, uBlock Origin, RequestPolicy, CookieMonster, RefControl, EFF HTTPS, etc.) - maybe a bit paranoid?
3. Chromium - for GMail & Android connections only
I'm also a bit paranoid with privacy, and fanatic about speed. Maybe would be nice opening a thread on this topic (security, privacy and speed browsing the net... :lol:
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

xfrank wrote:
I'm also a bit paranoid with privacy, and fanatic about speed. Maybe would be nice opening a thread on this topic (security, privacy and speed browsing the net... :lol:
Yes - why not? Could You start this thread? Especially Firefox (about:config) would be a reason enough. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20.0 Ulyana (Cinnamon) - Huawei MateBook X Pro
Shabby

Post by Shabby »

Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus.
Chrome purely for Netflix (until a newer version of Netflix-friendly Firefox becomes available).
PengOne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PengOne »

I am running LM18 64-bit with Firefox, Chrome and Chromium browsers. Netflix works on all 3 browsers using Pipelight/Silverlight, as Netflix Desktop is no more.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

PengOne wrote:I am running LM18 64-bit with Firefox, Chrome and Chromium browsers. Netflix works on all 3 browsers using Pipelight/Silverlight, as Netflix Desktop is no more.
There's now an easier way for Netflix and Amazon Video in Firefox. Just tick the box in preferences->content->play DRM content within Firefox.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

MintBean wrote:
PengOne wrote:I am running LM18 64-bit with Firefox, Chrome and Chromium browsers. Netflix works on all 3 browsers using Pipelight/Silverlight, as Netflix Desktop is no more.
There's now an easier way for Netflix and Amazon Video in Firefox. Just tick the box in preferences->content->play DRM content within Firefox.
Sorry but this is not true. I've just checked now in my PC and Netflix ask me to install Silverlight to reproduce videos.

The easy way to see Netflix for me is with Chrome.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There may be one extra step with Netflix - I think you may have to install an extension that spoofs your browser to report as something else. Not done it myself, but others have.
...yup...
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=232820#p1235222

[edit]Just had a chat with Netflix and they're planning to roll out an update 'soon' so you won't have to spoof.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Does Mint only come with Firefox as standard?

Just thought i'd ask in case there was anything i've missed such as a slim browser that can be started with command line. :P

Return to “Newbie Questions”