Password on start-up help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
menhir
Level 2
Level 2

Password on start-up help

Post by menhir »

I guess I still have newbie questions after all this time.

My office computer had a hard drive failure. No problem, because I had all the info backed up and had a spare computer also running Mint on the shelf, so to speak. I transferred all the information and updated everything...Good to go!

The problem is that I never bothered to to require a log in at startup on the spare because I was just using it for odds and ends around the home. Now that it's in my workplace, I want to require a sign-in and, ugh, I just can't remember how to do it. (Yes, I did a search but I just keep coming up with results about lost passwords, etc.)

The funny thing is, when I turn on the computer, no password is required, but when the computer times out, a password is required to get back on.

I'll admit that I've just come off some very very busy weeks at work and my daughter's wedding. I only have a couple of days to get caught up and I'm practically cross-eyed and probably...very probably not thinking straight. And it's now nearing 1:30AM.
Sometimes there's not enough beer in the world. :lol:

Any help would be appreciated. As always...Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hpmital
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Password on start-up help

Post by hpmital »

Please click menu and type login window in the search box. Click to open the login window application. You can select the option for auto login or not.
mdollarnomore

Post by mdollarnomore »

You know that simple login is not very secure.
Please think about hdd encryption. Needs reinstall of OS.
menhir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by menhir »

Thanks, that did the job.

I'm a bit embarrassed because I tried it myself before I posted yesterday, but I apparently neglected to uncheck the auto login button on the next tab. :oops:
Well, like I said, i was a little too tired to think clearly...My bad.

Regarding the security...Noted, and thanks.
For my purposes on this particular computer, a simple login is fine. I keep no credit card or sensitive information on it. Just student records, curriculum details, daily transaction records, secondary back-ups, etc.. It's used merely used to access and work on and/or print my files, which are kept on a flash drive that goes back and forth to the office with me. Still, I don't want someone casually playing around with the computer.

Still, the idea of encryption is something I will likely pursue when I have some time. It may come in handy.

A follow up:
The new login screen at startup requires both the username and my password. Is it possible to just require that password only? I'm the only user.
I'm happy with the login working as it is, but I'm curious.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

About encryption: should you ever wish to do that, encrypt only your /home folder and not your entire system. Less complexity on the hard disk, faster and more robust. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The new login screen at startup requires both the username and my password. Is it possible to just require that password only? I'm the only user.
Again return to your Login Window Preferences/Options choose to automatically select the last logged in user
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
menhir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by menhir »

Thanks. That did the trick. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”